Application: OR M's Skye Pants

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1 5:26 PM
      Application to test the OR M's Skye Pants

      Applicant: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 44
      Weight 236 lb. (107 kg.)
      Height 6 ft. (1.83 m.)
      E-Mail: starnescr@... (starnescr at yahoo dot com)
      Location: Northeast Alabama (Grant)

      Other information relavant to this test application
      Waist: I wear size 38 jeans with a 32" inseam. Unfortunately the XL
      list a 34" inseam. I should have no problem with them riding up over
      my boots...

      Size: I would need a size XL, based on OR's sizing chart.
      Color Preference: clay (only one listed)

      I have read the latest version (v. 0609) of the Survival Guide,
      especially chapters 4, 5, and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules
      and requirements set forth. My signed Tester Agreement is on file
      with BGT. I will meet the minimum nights required (5) but will wear
      these pants a lot while day hiking and perhaps riding my bike if they
      work well for that.

      Brief Bio: I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy hiking, backpacking,
      hunting, canoeing, caving, and spending as much time outdoors as
      possible. I live in northeast Alabama where I do most of my
      backpacking and hiking. I hike solo and with friends and family. I go
      hiking throughout the year but sometimes wimp out of actually
      backpacking in midsummer when the heat and humidity make the trail

      My style is slow and steady. My shelter of choice is a hammock and I
      cook with an alcohol stove or wood stove. I have made great strides
      in becoming a lightweight backpacker but I still choose gear with an
      eye towards comfort and durability. My pack weight is around 25 lb
      (11 kg) for most summer 2 and 3 day trips. However, in the winter my
      pack weight climbs considerably, not only in weight but in bulk as

      Hello Ray, I would be pleased to help BGT test the Outdoor Research
      M's Skye Pants. The description of these pants is especially
      intriguing. "These pants combine utilitarian features with a
      performance soft shell fabric. The even stretch allows movement in
      the direction you choose. Articulated knees and a full-length
      gusseted inseam give you additional flexibility. A DWR finish sheds
      unexpected drizzle." Sounds like a great pant for the cold rainy
      days I often find myself out in.

      My testing would concentrate on the advertised advantages of the Skye
      Pants. I would most definitely want to check out the soft shell
      fabric for comfort. I wear old worn out sweat pants a lot while
      tromping about the woods, mainly because they are so comfortable.
      The OR website says these pants are made with a performance soft
      shell that facilitates even stretch and allows movement in the
      direction you choose. Add to that the articulated knees and a full-
      length gusseted inseam for additional flexibility. I would expect
      these pants to be very comfortable based on this information.

      Next would be functionality and performance. I will repot on how
      well the pants keep me warm on cold days but at the same time, how
      well they breathe when I get a little warm in them. This is
      important in winter pants because it is pretty hard not to work up a
      sweat when climbing even small hills.

      I like that these pants have belt loops and a snap front and zipper
      fly, much like the jeans I wear a lot. The belt loop should help
      ensure the pants stay up and a shirt stays tucked in. The elastic in
      the waist band should be comfortable and help when moving around.
      The option to wear suspenders is also nice. I wear suspenders
      occasionally. These pants have a total of six pockets. This can be
      handy when on day hikes as I can carry my camera, a snack and other
      small items without bothering with a daypack. I will report on how
      all these features work out.

      I would also be checking on the ease of care and durability of the
      pants. My sweat pants are prone to snags and seem to be a dirt and
      leaf magnet. With a DWR finish I would expect these pants to shed
      water like a ducks back and hopefully dirt and leaves. Are the pants
      machine washable? Will they dry overnight in the outdoors if I have
      to wash them on the trail or get them wet through sweat or just
      exposure to rain, setting on wet logs etc? I will report on any
      other finding I may not be thinking of right now.

      Anticipated Testing Locations.
      I will be making several short overnight hikes and a few longer hikes
      over the next 4 months. I will be testing in the southeaster
      US with trips into the local mountains of Tennessee, Georgia, and
      North Carolina. I have one 5 day hike planned for mid January
      inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. However, most testing
      would be done in Northeast Alabama. Elevations will generally be less
      than 4000 ft (1219 m).

      Anticipated Testing Conditions.
      Winters around here are usually quite rainy and often this rain comes
      with temperatures just above freezing. I do expect very cold
      conditions on my Great Smoky Mountains National Park hike. We will be
      hiking along the AT and at high altitude for most of the trip, toping
      out at 6,643 ft (2025 m).

      Here are 2 examples of some of my reports.

      Princeton Tec Yukon HL Long Term Report

      or http://tinyurl.com/6d8hs

      Gregory Z-Pack Field Report

      or http://tinyurl.com/2wp2v

      All my reviews may be found here.

      I am currently testing 4 items and awaiting a fith. No other apps
      fielded at this time. The Wildwood stove test is about to wrap up.

      1. WildWood I backpack stove (LTR due Jan 2)

      2. Princeton tec Quad (headlamp) now in FR stage (FR due Jan 9)

      3. GoLite Xirtam Jacket now in FR stage (no FR due date set yet)

      4. Patagonia Down Sweater (IR submitted - awaiting edit)

      5. OR M's Sequence LS Tee (awaiting delivery)

      I have also submitted six owner reviews:
      Two for my Hennessy Original hammock
      Petzl Tikka Head Lamp
      Raovac Sportsman 3 in 1 headlamp
      REI Down Time 0 Degree sleeping bag
      Sony P72 camera

      Thanks for the considering me for this test.