BIP Ed Morse, December 1, 2006

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      BIP, Ed Morse, December 1, 2006

      We finished our drive back to MI from Florida late yesterday. We got
      home just in time for the winter storm today.

      I will start work on the IR for the OR Snowline Mitts.

      Still waiting for delivery ot the OR Marvel Windshirt.

      Slosteppin
      Ed Morse
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
        Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.

        Mike Lipay
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
          Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

          mike

          On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:

          > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
          >
          > Mike Lipay
        • Jason Boyle
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
            You mean the 4 month test series, with an IR, FR, and LTR and the
            combined report format? I don't see any reason it wouldn't unless I am
            missing something?

            Jason B

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

            > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?
            >
            > mike
            >

            > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:
            >
            > > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
            > >
            > > Mike Lipay

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

              > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

              Every new test will be the combined format. Only tests that were
              already in progress will finish up with the seperate format.

              If you are talking about the test plan, it is not required.

              Ray
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
                Well, since this one started after the announced start of the new format, I
                can't imagine why it wouldn't either.

                *Any* test starting after that announcement (which would definitely be any
                test just starting) will use the new format.

                Jerry

                reviews and tests on the planet.

                You mean the 4 month test series, with an IR, FR, and LTR and the
                combined report format? I don't see any reason it wouldn't unless I am
                missing something?

                Jason B

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

                > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?
                >
                > mike
                >

                > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:
                >
                > > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
                > >
                > > Mike Lipay

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                  At 08:29 PM 2/12/2006, you wrote:
                  >Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.

                  Dear Mike

                  Can you please put the product details including the manufacturer in
                  the body of your emails. This makes it much easier to process.

                  Thanks
                  Andrew, Sir
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                    At 10:59 AM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
                    >Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

                    Hi Mike

                    Yes it is a signal report format.

                    Andrew
                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2006
                      Enclosed is my Initial Report for the Hydro-Photo SteriPEN
                      Adventurer, the html version can be found at:

                      http://tinyurl.com/tz2ep

                      Thanks,

                      Mike Lipay

                      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                      SteriPEN Adventurer and Solar Battery Charger
                      by Hydro-Photon

                      Review by Mike Lipay

                      Personal Information
                      Name Mike Lipay
                      Age 51
                      Gender Male
                      Height 5 ft 8 in / 173 cm
                      Weight 185 lbs / 83.9 kg
                      Email hiking AT westernpa DOT us
                      Location Plum, Pennsylvania
                      Background: I've been hiking and backpacking since the '60s. I enjoy
                      hiking solo, with my kids, or with one of the two hiking groups to
                      which I belong. I have taught LNT skills, wilderness survival, and
                      outdoor first-aid. I am no ultra-light backpacker (my pack typically
                      weighs 29-40 lb (13-18 kg) loaded), although I am always looking for
                      ways to cut down on the weight. I'm a low-techie, preferring a hiking
                      staff to trekking poles, compass to GPS, fire to fuel; but I am open
                      to new products when there is a distinct advantage over more
                      traditional "technology".
                      Back to Top

                      Product Description
                      Model SteriPEN Adventurer
                      Manufacturer Hydro-Photon, Inc.
                      Year of Mfg 2006
                      Website www.SteriPen.com
                      MSRP N/A

                      Mfg. Specs
                      Weight: 3.9 oz 110.0 g
                      Length: N/A
                      Width: N/A
                      Thickness: N/A

                      Personal measurements
                      Weight: 3.5 oz 100.0 g
                      Length: 6 3/32 in 15.5 cm
                      Width: 1 5/8 in 4.1 cm
                      Thickness: 15/16 in 2.3 cm

                      Warranty One-year warranty against manufacturer defects.

                      Model SteriPEN Solar Charger
                      Year of Mfg 2006
                      MSRP N/A

                      Mfg. Specs
                      Weight: 6.9 oz 194.0 g
                      Length: 7 in 17.8 cm
                      Width: 3 5/8 in 9.2 cm
                      Thickness: 1 5/8 in 4.1 cm

                      Personal measurements
                      Weight: 6.7 oz 190.0 g
                      Length: 7 1/16 in 18.0 cm
                      Width: 3 11/16 in 9.4 cm
                      Thickness: 1 5/16 in 3.4 cm

                      Warranty No warranty information was provided.

                      Initial Report

                      Arrival
                      The SteriPEN Adventurer wad delivered by Federal Express on December
                      2, 2006. After opening the box (somewhat oversized but securely
                      packed), and examining the contents, I determined that everything
                      arrived in good condition.
                      Warranty

                      I was disappointed with the warranty Hydro-Photon chose to offer on
                      the Adventurer model (See Product Description). Other models in the
                      SteriPEN line come with a lifetime limited warranty.

                      With regards to the Solar Charger, no warranty information is offered
                      in the literature. Instead, I was referred to the SteriPEN website,
                      once on their website I noticed that only the classic SteriPEN
                      warranty information was provided.

                      Instructions
                      I found the instructions for both the SteriPEN Adventurer and the
                      Solar Charger easy to follow, and the many illustrations helped in
                      identifying the location of different items (switches, lights, etc.).
                      Using the step-by-step instructions, I was able to do an initial test
                      of the Adventurer within a few minutes (the batteries came with a
                      partial charge).

                      The instructions are provided in English, German, Spanish, and
                      French, in a folded pamphlet. I found the manual for the charger to
                      be an easy-to-handle size (12 x 18 in; 30.5 x 45.7 cm), but the
                      larger manual for the Adventurer was difficult to handle (15 x 27-1/2
                      in; 38.1 x 69.8 cm). A booklet format would be easier.

                      Website
                      I visited the website mainly because the instructions for the charger
                      indicated that the warranty information was available there. I was
                      disappointed that the website was not only missing the warranty
                      information, but has no information at all on the Adventurer model of
                      the SteriPEN. I would hope that this will be corrected in the near
                      future, especially since there are a number of differences between
                      the Adventurer model I am testing, and the classic model which is
                      shown on the website.

                      First Impressions
                      I was impressed by the small size and weight of the Adventurer, until
                      now I have been using Hydro-Photon's original SteriPEN, which weighs
                      in at 7.7 oz (218 g) - nearly twice as much! The Adventurer also
                      comes in at an 1-1/8 in (2.9 cm) shorter, and half the thickness -- a
                      definite improvement! Of course, the original has a longer operating
                      life between charges, but with 4-AA batteries vs. two CR-123
                      batteries, that is no surprise. Even so, the Adventurer claims to
                      sterilize up to 50-liters (50 quarts) on a single charge, more than
                      enough for even my 5-day treks.

                      One observation that I did make right off is the shape of the base on
                      Adventurer. The SteriPEN needs a pre-filter to keep sediment from
                      entering the drinking bottle, Hydro-Photon makes such a pre-filter
                      which neatly fits the SteriPEN Classic, unfortunately the
                      Adventurer's shape does not fit the pre-filter. To my thinking this
                      is a poor oversight, the pre-filter makes using the SteriPEN easier
                      with wide-mouth drinking bottles.
                      Setup and Usage

                      The SteriPEN Adventurer was already assembled when it arrived, and
                      the batteries had an initial charge. Even so, I removed the
                      batteries, placed them in the Solar Charger (which doubles as a in-
                      the-wall charger), and charged the batteries to full.

                      There are two options when sterilizing: 1/2 qt (500 ml) or 1 qt (1
                      L), I selected the second as my bottle was 22 oz (650 ml). The
                      instructions say to press the switch once then, when the green light
                      comes on, insert the Adventurer into the water and swirl. At this
                      point the UV tube lights up (this is an indicator that everything is
                      working, the sterilization process uses invisible UV light), the
                      instructions then say to swirl the Adventurer until the light goes
                      out, this took a little less than 90 seconds.

                      The SteriPEN Adventurer fits nicely into the Solar Charger for
                      transport and easy recharging of the batteries, it also has space for
                      two addition CR-123 batteries, which can be recharged while the two
                      in the Adventurer are being used. To use the charger requires opening
                      the cover and pointing it towards the sun.

                      I have two concerns regarding the SteriPEN Adventurer as shipped.
                      First, it comes with two rechargeable CR-123 batteries, but no method
                      of recharging them. Looking in local stores, I cannot find any
                      chargers capable of handling CR-123 batteries. The only way to
                      recharge the batteries is to purchase the optional Solar Charger; the
                      Solar Charger comes with two more CR-123 batteries, along with a wall-
                      plug converter to recharge the batteries inside the Solar Charger.

                      Secondly, the lid on the Solar Charger needs to be tilted towards the
                      sun, I had a difficult time getting the lid to stay open in a tilted
                      position, there is not enough friction in the hinges to keep the lid
                      open in all but a few angles.

                      The Solar Charger comes with a pouch for carrying the Adventurer and
                      Solar Charger on a backpack. The loops on the rear of the pouch are
                      to attach the pouch to a backpack so that the batteries can be
                      recharged while hiking. I'm curious as to how I will use the loops to
                      make the attachment, there are no instructions on how to accomplish
                      this.

                      Test Plan
                      My plan for using the SteriPEN Adventurer is to take it with me on
                      day hikes and overnight trips in the Alleghenies; my area of travel
                      ranges from the lower Alleghenies (SW Pennsylvania, aka the Laurel
                      Highlands) into the Allegheny National Forest (Northern
                      Pennsylvania). The area is mountainous, with numerous streams and
                      rivers flowing through. Typically, because of the abundant wildlife,
                      no free-running water here is considered safe to drink.

                      Temperatures during the field test period (mid-December through mid-
                      February, winter in the Alleghenies) usually fall within the range of
                      19 - 43°F (-7 - 6°C), which should put a strain on battery life.
                      Hydro-Photon recommends carrying the SteriPEN in an inner pocket to
                      keep the batteries warm, and I will follow these recommendations.

                      Testing a water treatment system is difficult, since the only two
                      methods of accurately determining effectiveness are laboratory tests
                      and field tests. The problem with the later is that I can only be
                      sure if the sterilization fails, a situation I hope not to encounter
                      over the next few months.

                      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
                      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
                      Please check back then for further information.

                      I would like to take this opportunity to thank both Hydro-Photon and
                      BackpackGearTest for the chance to test the SteriPEN Adventurer.