Application to test Topo expansion pack

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 1:03 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Topo Expasion pack. I have
      read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, including
      Chapter 5.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (187.5 cm)
      Weight: 200 lbs (90 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: February 15, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been back packing since I was 14 years old. By the time I hit
      18 I was getting about 5 good hikes (multi day) a year, and day
      hikes at least once a week. Last year I hiked over 280 miles. (448k)
      My style of hiking is to get up early, and hike hard for most the
      day. I rarely stop to cook at mid-day, but always have a hot
      breakfast and dinner. I put the miles on, usually 15-18 miles a day.
      (24-29 k) I like to get to my days destination early enough to enjoy
      the afternoon. Most of my hiking is in the Sierras, my favorite
      place on Earth. I have hiked all over California, and in Nevada,
      Idaho, Washington state, and Minnesota.
      As I am getting older, I am making a concerted effort to lighten
      weight everywhere I can. I have gone from a packed weight for a 4
      day trip from 50+ lb, to 30 lb. And I am always looking for ways to
      cut it more, without giving up a comfortable tent, and cooking good
      meals.

      For 2005 I have trips planned to White Mountain, San Jacinto, and
      San Gorgonio in winter. Mount Russell, Middle Palisade, Shasta, the
      Mist Falls loop in King Canyon, and a big chunk of the John Muir
      Trail.

      The test

      I own the Topo, California series, and use it extensively to plan my
      hikes. The expansion pack would interest me most for the automatic
      updates to newer and more accurate information. It will be
      interesting to use the fly-by feature. An example that comes to mind
      is my planned climb of Middle Palisade. As there is not an
      established trail to this peak, I could route it out on the map,
      then "see" it before I go.

      Another thing to check is how seamlessly the program will mesh with
      the existing software. Does it slow it down? Does it load as one, or
      will it have to be started after the state series?
      Thank you for your consideration of my application for this test.

      My reviews are as follows

      Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 Superlight

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Agnes%
      20Seedhouse%20Superlight%20%202/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

      REI Traverse Trekking Poles

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/REI%
      20Traverse%20Trekking%20Poles/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

      I have no tests in progress at this time.