LTR Orikaso Solo Set - Wayne Merry

  • Wayne Merry
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
      Long Term Report: Flatworld (Orikaso) Fold Flat Solo Set

      X November 2006

      About Wayne Merry, the tester:

      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.8 m (5' 10")
      Weight: 90 kg (200 lb)
      Email address: wayne underscore merry at yahoo dot com dot au
      City, State, Country: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking about five years ago,
      although I did day walks in childhood. I hike in various terrains from
      moderate/hard track walks to some off track (including river walks). I
      generally like the temperature to stay above freezing, and have not
      camped above the snow line during winter. I enjoy going on multi day
      walks up to about a week as well as day walks. I carry a moderate weight
      pack to enjoy a few creature comforts at camp. I use a tent for shelter.
      I would normally do at least 2 overnight or multi-day walks every three
      months, in addition to a number of 20 km (12 mile) or so day walks.
      Testing Locations:

      I have tested the Solo Set on the following walks in addition to those
      reported on the Field Test Report. Walks are multi-day unless otherwise
      noted:

      * Croajingalong National Park - a remote coastal area in eastern
      Victoria. Elevations varied from 0 m to 100 m (330 ft). The walk was
      mostly on track + beach sections. Temperatures ranged from 5 C (41 F) to
      15 C (59 F), with moderate humidity. The last day of the trip saw
      moderate rain in the morning (always tends to happen during packing up
      tents!). Other times on the walk were fine.
      * Mt Monda: - a decent 800m (2600 ft) climb up and down day walk in
      hilly national park area with forested areas. Elevations varied from 200
      m (650 ft) to 1000 m (3200 ft). This day walk was on track in light
      rain. Temperatures ranged from 5 C (41 F) to 10 C (50 F), with high
      humidity.

      I had a few other day walks in fine conditions. Due to an unexpected
      business trip to Hong Kong, I missed out on two planned weekend walks
      and was unable to undertake overnight walks late in the test period due
      to the impending arrival of our first son.
      Product Details:Retail Packaging

      * Manufacturer: Flatworld (UK) Ltd trading as Orikaso
      * Web site: http://www.orikaso.com/
      * Year of manufacture: 2006
      * Place of manufacture: China
      * MSRP: Not available

      The Orikaso Solo Set is a cup, bowl and plate sold as a set that fold
      flat when not in use.

      Specifications and my initial impressions can be found at my initial
      review here.

      My Field Report can be found here.
      Item Long Term Performance:

      I have used the Solo Set on my trips for all three meals. My meals were
      similar to those reported in my Field Report, such as cooked oats for
      breakfast, crackers for lunch, rehydrated dinners and hot drinks. During
      my testing, I used a range of criteria, and these were my results:

      * How convenient is the flat pack? Does it really take up 3 mm with
      all three items? The flat pack is convenient, taking up much less space
      than a decent sized mug and bowl. If I was using conventional crockery,
      I would only take a mug and bowl, but the full Solo Set takes up less
      room. I would say that the flat pack is 1 cm (0.39 in) rather than 3 mm
      (0.12 in) thick for practical purposes.
      * How easy is it to assemble each item? In particular the cup looks
      a bit complicated. Initially I found it a little complicated, however
      once I had used the Solo Set a few times, I quickly got use to using it.
      If I use a conventional mug, it is ready right away as it does not need
      unfolding, but it takes me only 15 seconds or so to prepare each of the
      items for use. This is the price to pay for the benefit of flat packing.
      * How strong is the assembled item. Could it easily come unpacked
      with food, especially liquids inside? Looking at the bowl, there are
      four folds. This looks the most vulnerable to this happening. Are my
      suspicions to be confirmed, or does the pressure of liquids keep the
      folds securely in place? The folds represent a secure mechanism. At no
      time did I have even the slightest doubt that the mechanisms would fail
      and I would end up with hot soup or drink in my lap. The folds on the
      bowl and cup are quite large and seemed very secure. The folds on the
      plate are smaller, but even they seemed to hold together well. I did not
      specifically test putting soup on the plate (the plate is like a shallow
      bowl) to test the strength of these folds, as the plate does not appear
      to be designed for this use. The manufacturers web site suggested that
      the cup could leak if overfilled, but the only leak I could produce is
      liquid escaping over the top!
      * Does the bottom of the plate or bowl sag excessively? No.
      * How does the material transmit heat? If I am holding a bowl of hot
      soup, do my fingers get burnt? Heat does get transmitted through the
      material, and as the material is fairly thin (and therefore light), this
      can happen more quickly than conventional crockery. That said, I never
      found this to be a practical problem. The bowl can be held near its
      edges, while the handle on the cup tends to remain reasonably cool. I
      never found myself uncomfortable using the Solo Set with hot food.
      * Is it easy to handle the bowl with two hands. Does the bowl
      threaten to fold in the middle when held with two hands? Does one side
      sag when held with one hand? None of these were a problem with the Solo Set.
      * Do the sides sag if the bowl or plate are placed on a solid
      surface? No.
      * Does some of my soup get lost in the folds? Yes some does, but it
      is a very small amount, that can be accessed as the bowl is disassembled.
      * How easy are the three items to clean? Is water and a wipe good
      enough? Is there any odor retention? All 3 items are easy to clean once
      disassembled because they are then flat. A water and wipe is good enough
      for me, and my cleaning standards are fairly high.
      * Is the bowl or plate big enough for my generous end of day serves,
      or do I have to leave some in the pot getting cold for a second helping?
      Yes, my serving sizes are generous (even though this adds to backpack
      weight), and yes the bowl and plate are big enough for big servings.
      * How resistant is the material from scratching from knives and
      forks. Am I going to see hundreds of scratch marks after a few months? I
      could not see any scratches after my 4 months of use.
      * Does the polypropylene weaken with the constant folding and
      unfolding from use? Do the folds become resistant over time? The
      manufacturer claims that the opposite will occur. Even after 4 months I
      remain undecided about this, but I do admit that I believe the
      manufacturer more now than I did at the start of the test. The folds
      have not failed during the test, and do not look like failing any time soon.
      * Does the material change by being exposed to heat? Does it crack,
      bubble, flake or any other unwanted effect occur? I have not seen any of
      these effects.
      * How does the Solo Set survive the usual rumble and tumble of being
      in a pack? I am still using the retail packaging to carry the Solo Set
      in order to avoid things getting caught on the folds. This retail
      packaging is clearly not going to out-survive the Solo Set, so I am
      going to have to stop doing this at some stage. My feeling is that I
      have been too cautious about this, and the folds will handle the pack
      quite happily.

      As highlighted in my Field Report, the cup could be improved by having a
      hole in the handle, which would allow holding of the bowl and cup with
      one hand. This is very handy in a bush walking camp setting where there
      may be no facilities such as a table or chairs provided. I often eat
      standing up, and this means that one of the cup or bowl is left on the
      ground, where it is vulnerable to being kicked over or dirt being kicked
      into it.

      Overall, I have been happy with the performance of the Solo Set so far.
      It's not perfect, but it is quite good, and I will continue to use it.
      Likes and Dislikes:

      Things I like about the Flatworld (Orikaso) Solo Set:

      * Flat packing certainly saves space in my pack.
      * With practice, I can quickly assemble out in the field.
      * Easy to clean.

      Things I dislike about the Flatworld (Orikaso) Solo Set:

      * The cup should be redesigned to allow fingers to pass through the
      handle.
      * The plastic edges (particularly on the cup) are a little sharp.

    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
        Wayne,

        Nice report - as usual. HTML looks just fine. Great use of tables,
        and all links and the picture seem okay.

        Here are my edits, noted with **. Thanks for a great test series!

        -Curt

        > X November 2006
        **Just a reminder to plug in the date.

        Croajingalong
        **For some reason this doesn't show up on my spellcheck :)

        was unable to undertake overnight walks late in the test period due
        to the impending arrival of our first son.
        **Congrats! Is he here yet???

        > * How strong is the assembled item.
        **Need a question mark at the end of this sentence.

        > * Is it easy to handle the bowl with two hands.
        **Need a question mark at the end of this sentence.

        > * Does some of my soup get lost in the folds? Yes some does, but
        it is a very small amount, that can be accessed as the bowl is
        disassembled.
        **I'm getting a bit picky here, but there's no need for the comma in
        the sentence bewteen "amount" and "that"

        > * How resistant is the material from scratching from knives and
        > forks.
        **Need a question mark at the end of this sentence.

        This retail packaging is clearly not going to out-survive the Solo Set,
        **Why? Is it cardboard? Paper? Is it already showing signs of wear?
      • Wayne Merry
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
          Hey there.

          The bub is still not here yet, but Lindy is a week overdue so it could
          happen at any time. The obstetrician has said that 2 weeks overdue is
          tops, then she gets induced, so a bub will be here no later than a week
          and a bit.

          It's now time to work out how to go backpacking (in particular overnight
          backpacking) with a young child.

          Regards,
          Wayne

          <Original Message (Edited)

          5. EDIT: LTR Orikaso Solo Set - Wayne Merry
          Posted by: "nwcurt" nwcurt@... nwcurt