Re: Question for UL SpeeDemon Monitor/Moderator

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Bummer.. thats disappointing.

      Might want to ask customer service if this has happened to more than
      just you

      Jason B
    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        OK - I think I'm going to have the replacement bladder tested for
        this issue before taking it into the field though.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, WoodlandSprite
        <cl_woodlandsprite@y...> wrote:
        > Send it back via the customer service thing.
        > Todd's has already gone back also - for a different problem
        >
        > you might want to do the following: 1) remove the tube if possible
        2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

        > The one that they sent back to todd did not have the new kicker
        valve nor did it have the neoprene insulation on the tube.

        > -Stephanie
        > Ultimate Designs Test Moderator
        > Andy Mytys <amytys@h...> wrote:
        >

        > The reservoir on the SpeeDemon has an inner wall that's connected
        > (glued) to both front/back sides of the bladder, making an inner
        > center wall that bisects the reservoir.
        >
        > One side of my inner wall has become unglued. This does not affect
        > functionality in any way. However, I am a bit worried. Either it
        > ripped free of the glue, or the glue changed its holding
        > power/dissolved when it got wet. What I'm worried about is that
        this
        > glue might slowly dissolve into the water I'm drinking. What should
        > I do?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
          <cl_woodlandsprite@y...> wrote:
          > Send it back via the customer service thing.
          > Todd's has already gone back also - for a different problem
          >
          > you might want to do the following: 1) remove the tube if possible
          2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

          > The one that they sent back to todd did not have the new kicker
          > valve nor did it have the neoprene insulation on the tube.

          Steph,

          You guys just used the web-based link/process, where you printed out
          the PDF form, filled it out, and mailed the bladder (4-6 weeks)?

          Or, did you call and talk to someone?
        • David
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
            Andy,

            Could you tell if the 'stability flap' in the bladder was glued or
            welded on yours? Mine is definitely welded (single as opposed to the
            double welds on the outside). How'd you manage to break it anyways -
            I'd like to avoid any customer service issues from the sounds of it.

            Steph/Todd,

            What was the problem you had with the bladder, or do I need to wait
            for the field report?

            Cheers,
            David

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
              I agree that it's a minor issue and I would also like to avoid the CS
              issues.

              Can you describe how I could visually tell the difference between a
              glue and a weld? I'm thinking the weld has those funny divets on
              each side, and the glue is, well, glue (some kind of
              sylicone/adhesive looking substance).

              What did I do? Nothing, save for using it. Now, I DID call UD and
              as if I could put in boiling water. Just looking at the plastic, I
              knew the answer would be "No", but I asked anyway. Sure enough, NO.
              Then I asked if I could use hot tap water. The answer was "Yes." I
              like using hot water on winter hikes as I can drink the water with
              pleasure rather than it being a task that I need to do, but don't
              like. I wondered if the hot water (hot to the touch, not scalding)
              had anything to do with it, hence my thought that it was an adhesive
              bond of some sort.

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David"

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                Andy,

                yup, with the RF weld there should be indentations, just like around
                the edge of the bladder. Sucks about the boiling water... I was
                wondering about that myself - seems like a waste to melt snow, boil
                it, and then cool it back down right away ... oh well, I'm not that
                keen on hydration bladders for winter anyways.

                I agree, the hot water shouldn't have anything to do with it (under
                the assumption that it's welded) , otherwise the sides would start to
                separate also...

                wrote:

                > I agree that it's a minor issue and I would also like to avoid the CS
                > issues.
                >
                > Can you describe how I could visually tell the difference between a
                > glue and a weld? I'm thinking the weld has those funny divets on
                > each side, and the glue is, well, glue (some kind of
                > sylicone/adhesive looking substance).
                >
                > What did I do? Nothing, save for using it. Now, I DID call UD and
                > as if I could put in boiling water. Just looking at the plastic, I
                > knew the answer would be "No", but I asked anyway. Sure enough, NO.
                > Then I asked if I could use hot tap water. The answer was "Yes." I
                > like using hot water on winter hikes as I can drink the water with
                > pleasure rather than it being a task that I need to do, but don't
                > like. I wondered if the hot water (hot to the touch, not scalding)
                > had anything to do with it, hence my thought that it was an adhesive
                > bond of some sort.
                >
                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David"
                > <drunken_marmot@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Andy,
                > >
                > > Could you tell if the 'stability flap' in the bladder was glued or
                > > welded on yours? Mine is definitely welded (single as opposed to
                > the
                > > double welds on the outside). How'd you manage to break it
                > anyways -
                > > I'd like to avoid any customer service issues from the sounds of it.
                > >
                > > Steph/Todd,
                > >
                > > What was the problem you had with the bladder, or do I need to wait
                > > for the field report?
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > David
                > >
                > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys"
                > <amytys@h...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, WoodlandSprite

                > possible
                > > > 2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

                > > > Steph,
                > > >

                > > > You guys just used the web-based link/process, where you printed
                > out
                > > > the PDF form, filled it out, and mailed the bladder (4-6 weeks)?
                > > >
                > > > Or, did you call and talk to someone?
              • WoodlandSprite
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Steph,

                  You guys just used the web-based link/process, where you printed out
                  the PDF form, filled it out, and mailed the bladder (4-6 weeks)?

                  Or, did you call and talk to someone?

                  >>>We did the above and it came back a lot faster than 4-6 weeks.

                  -Steph

                • WoodlandSprite
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005