Re: [backpackgeartesters] Question for UL SpeeDemon Monitor/Moderator

  • WoodlandSprite
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Send it back via the customer service thing.
      Todd's has already gone back also - for a different problem

      you might want to do the following: 1) remove the tube if possible 2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

      The one that they sent back to todd did not have the new kicker valve nor did it have the neoprene insulation on the tube.

      -Stephanie
      Ultimate Designs Test Moderator
      Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

      The reservoir on the SpeeDemon has an inner wall that's connected
      (glued) to both front/back sides of the bladder, making an inner
      center wall that bisects the reservoir.

      One side of my inner wall has become unglued. This does not affect
      functionality in any way. However, I am a bit worried. Either it
      ripped free of the glue, or the glue changed its holding
      power/dissolved when it got wet. What I'm worried about is that this
      glue might slowly dissolve into the water I'm drinking. What should
      I do?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jason Boyle
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        Bummer.. thats disappointing.

        Might want to ask customer service if this has happened to more than
        just you

        Jason B
      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
          OK - I think I'm going to have the replacement bladder tested for
          this issue before taking it into the field though.

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, WoodlandSprite
          <cl_woodlandsprite@y...> wrote:
          > Send it back via the customer service thing.
          > Todd's has already gone back also - for a different problem
          >
          > you might want to do the following: 1) remove the tube if possible
          2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

          > The one that they sent back to todd did not have the new kicker
          valve nor did it have the neoprene insulation on the tube.

          > -Stephanie
          > Ultimate Designs Test Moderator
          > Andy Mytys <amytys@h...> wrote:
          >

          > The reservoir on the SpeeDemon has an inner wall that's connected
          > (glued) to both front/back sides of the bladder, making an inner
          > center wall that bisects the reservoir.
          >
          > One side of my inner wall has become unglued. This does not affect
          > functionality in any way. However, I am a bit worried. Either it
          > ripped free of the glue, or the glue changed its holding
          > power/dissolved when it got wet. What I'm worried about is that
          this
          > glue might slowly dissolve into the water I'm drinking. What should
          > I do?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Andy Mytys
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
            <cl_woodlandsprite@y...> wrote:
            > Send it back via the customer service thing.
            > Todd's has already gone back also - for a different problem
            >
            > you might want to do the following: 1) remove the tube if possible
            2) if that is not possible, you may want to remove the bite valve.

            > The one that they sent back to todd did not have the new kicker
            > valve nor did it have the neoprene insulation on the tube.

            Steph,

            You guys just used the web-based link/process, where you printed out
            the PDF form, filled it out, and mailed the bladder (4-6 weeks)?

            Or, did you call and talk to someone?
          • David
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
              Andy,

              Could you tell if the 'stability flap' in the bladder was glued or
              welded on yours? Mine is definitely welded (single as opposed to the
              double welds on the outside). How'd you manage to break it anyways -
              I'd like to avoid any customer service issues from the sounds of it.

              Steph/Todd,

              What was the problem you had with the bladder, or do I need to wait
              for the field report?

              Cheers,
              David

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                I agree that it's a minor issue and I would also like to avoid the CS
                issues.

                Can you describe how I could visually tell the difference between a
                glue and a weld? I'm thinking the weld has those funny divets on
                each side, and the glue is, well, glue (some kind of
                sylicone/adhesive looking substance).

                What did I do? Nothing, save for using it. Now, I DID call UD and
                as if I could put in boiling water. Just looking at the plastic, I
                knew the answer would be "No", but I asked anyway. Sure enough, NO.
                Then I asked if I could use hot tap water. The answer was "Yes." I
                like using hot water on winter hikes as I can drink the water with
                pleasure rather than it being a task that I need to do, but don't
                like. I wondered if the hot water (hot to the touch, not scalding)
                had anything to do with it, hence my thought that it was an adhesive
                bond of some sort.

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David"

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Andy,

                  yup, with the RF weld there should be indentations, just like around
                  the edge of the bladder. Sucks about the boiling water... I was
                  wondering about that myself - seems like a waste to melt snow, boil
                  it, and then cool it back down right away ... oh well, I'm not that
                  keen on hydration bladders for winter anyways.

                  I agree, the hot water shouldn't have anything to do with it (under
                  the assumption that it's welded) , otherwise the sides would start to
                  separate also...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                    Steph,

                    You guys just used the web-based link/process, where you printed out
                    the PDF form, filled it out, and mailed the bladder (4-6 weeks)?

                    Or, did you call and talk to someone?

                    >>>We did the above and it came back a lot faster than 4-6 weeks.

                    -Steph

                  • WoodlandSprite
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005