APPLICATION to test Icebreaker Men's Tops - Andy H.

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2006
      APPLICATION TO TEST ICEBREAKER MEN'S TOPS

      Please accept my application to test the Icebreaker Men's Tops. I
      have read all pertinent information in the Survival Guide, including,
      but not limited to Chapters Four, Five, and Six of the new
      BackpackGearTest Bylaws, version 0609. I will follow all
      requirements. My tester agreement is on file with BGT.

      If selected for this test, I would prefer size L tops. My color
      preference for both tops is Diesel, but I would be happy with any of
      the colors.

      Biographical Information
      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86.2 kg)
      Chest: 42 in (107 cm)
      Sleeve: 35 in (89 cm)
      Neck: 16 in (41 cm)
      Email address: a_henrichs@...
      City, State, Country: Carbondale, Colorado, USA
      Date: November 1, 2006

      Backpacking Background
      I first started backpacking about 5 years ago when a friend and I
      took a road trip out west (I was living in Wisconsin at time). I was
      hooked immediately, and have taken many, many trips since then. Most
      of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken several trips of 5-6
      days. The highlight came during the summer of 2005, when I was
      fortunate enough to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over
      35 days.

      Recently, I have been leaning more and more towards the lightweight
      side of the spectrum. I shave ounces when I can, but I still prefer
      a solid frame in my backpacks, and usually take a couple luxuries on
      trips. Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado
      and Wyoming, as well as the desert in the southwestern US. I've gone
      winter camping several times, but I still prefer backpacking in the
      warmer months. In addition to backpacking, I also participate in
      rock and ice climbing, skiing, road and mountain biking, and
      whitewater rafting.

      Field Information
      My testing will take place primarily in sub-alpine forests and alpine
      tundra on the Western Slope of Colorado. I would like to get one
      backpacking trip to the desert of southern Utah sometime this
      fall/winter, but I don't know if it will happen. The testing will
      take place at elevations ranging from 6000 ft (1800 m) to over 14000
      ft (4300 m). I would estimate that the bulk of the testing will be
      between 9000 ft (2700 m) and 12000 ft (3700 m). Daytime high
      temperatures will likely range from 20° F (-7° C) to 60° F (16° C).
      Nighttime low temperatures could dip to -20° F (-29° C) or below, but
      I expect them to usually be between 0° F (-18° C) and 20° F (-7° C) I
      expect to experience a wide variety of weather. This could include
      sun, clouds, rain, snow, and possibly hail.

      Test Plan
      If selected for this test, I will use the Icebreaker Men's Tops
      during a wide variety of activities. These will include both resort
      and backcountry skiing, ice and rock climbing, hiking, backpacking,
      snowshoeing, and hopefully some winter camping. For all activities I
      will describe in my test plan, I will alternate between the two tops
      for every day of activity to ensure that both tops undergo plenty of
      testing.

      I'll wear these tops while resort skiing, which I do between 40 and
      50 days per year. My typical dress for resort skiing is a baselayer
      and fleece-lined soft shell jacket. Because of the stop-and-go
      nature of resort skiing, it's vital that the baselayer wicks moisture
      away from my skin so I don't get chilled.

      I will also wear these tops on backcountry skiing excursions. On
      warmer days, these tops may be the only layer I wear while skinning
      up the mountain. If the wind picks up or the temperatures dip, I'll
      add a light fleece or shell for more warmth. I try to move quickly
      on my approaches while backcountry skiing, especially when crossing
      known avalanche paths. I guarantee that I'll get sweaty on the
      approaches. It's important for these tops again to wick moisture
      away from my body so I don't freeze when a gust hits me or I stop for
      water.

      I will also use these tops while on ice and rock climbing trips this
      winter. I recently found a climbing partner with a similar schedule;
      we're planning on ice climbing every Monday this winter. If it's too
      warm, we'll go rock climbing instead (unless it's a powder day). The
      thumb loops on the Tech Top could be very useful for climbing. No
      more cold wrists if my jacket pulls out from under my gloves!

      These tops will be worn while on snowshoeing and late season hiking
      trips. A friend and I are tentatively planning on snowshoeing one of
      Colorado's 14000 ft (4300 m) peaks this winter. As stated earlier, I
      would also like to get one last backpacking trip to southern Utah
      this fall or winter. I'll probably wear these tops for the entire
      trip, as even the desert gets cool in winter.

      Finally, I would like to start winter camping more this year. I've
      dabbled in the past, but have never really committed. If I find a
      willing partner (and I think I have), I'll plan one to two overnight
      winter camping trips per month this winter. The trips will be
      approximately 15 miles (24 km) round-trip to the base of a local
      peak.

      If selected, I will pay particular attention to the following aspects
      of the Icebreaker Oasis Crewe and Tech Top:

      Warmth – How warm are these garments? Does the higher than normal
      neck on the Oasis Crewe really trap more heat? Will the zipper on
      the Tech Top make it easy to regulate my temperature? At what
      temperature will I start rolling up the sleeves or even switch to a
      lighter T-shirt?

      Fit – These shirts look like they fit fairly tight. Will they
      restrict any motion? Will the drop tail on the Tech Top keep the
      garment tucked in while climbing? Do the flat sewn side gusset and
      seamless underarm on the Oasis Crewe prevent any chafing? Does the
      Tech Top have anything similar?

      Durability – Will the wool snag? The care directions mention washing
      after several uses to remove "loose fibers." How many fibers will
      work their way out? Will this be noticeable after several months of
      testing?

      Wicking Ability – How quickly will the merino wool move moisture away
      from my body? Will I quickly saturate the material when exerting
      myself, or will it always stay one step ahead? Will I get chilled at
      rest stops as the moisture evaporates?

      Stink – I stink! Or rather, my clothes stink after long, hard days
      in the mountains. Will I be banished to the downwind side of the
      group when hiking with friends? Will I scare away small animals with
      my stench? How long will it take for these tops to smell? Will it
      be one day? One week?

      Thank you for considering my application. My previous reviews can be
      found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/a_henrichs