Application to test the Icebreaker Tops - Jason B

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2006
      Leesa, friendly MA test caller,

      Please accept my application to test the Icebreaker Oasis Crewe and
      the Tech Top. I have read the new SG and I am intimately familiar
      with the document and will comply with all requirements. My
      tester's agreement is on file. If selected I would need a large
      sized tops.

      Name: Jason Boyle
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6"/ 1.68 m
      Weight: 170 lb/ 77 kg
      Email address: c4jc "at" hotmail "dot" com
      City, State, Country: Snoqualmie, Washington, U. S.
      Date: November 5, 2006

      Preliminary Thoughts:
      These two pieces are supposed to work together according to
      Icebreaker, but they both seem like light baselayers to me. I am
      interested in the warmth that they would provide and if both layers
      can be worn under mid or insulating layers. I am also interested to
      see if I can wear both layers while backpacking here in the colder
      weather or if I will overheat. Regardless these look like nice base
      layers and would test them thoroughly.

      Based on a delivery date of December 2006, I expect to experience
      the following climate conditions:

      Average temperatures range from highs in the 50's F and lows in the
      30's F (10 C to -1 C). The average precipitation in December,
      January, February, and March for the Seattle area is 8+ inches per
      month (20+ cm) and will take all forms, rain, snow, and sleet. All
      climate data is for where I actually live, but the mountains can be
      colder and wetter. Most of my trips during this time frame will be
      in the Mount Baker and Snoqualmie National Forest. Specifically in
      the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, 20 minutes from my house. Elevation may
      vary from sea level to 14,000 ft (4267 m), though I am not sure what
      the winter will hold for volcano climbs. My normal outdoor routine
      consists of at least two day hikes a month, and no less than 2
      nights of backpacking a month in all seasons. It is hard to
      forecast into the future what I will be doing those months, but
      should there be any delivery delays, I have already scheduled a late
      April mountaineering trip to Mt. Whitney in California and if
      selected will take the Icebreaker base layers with me.

      Testing Plan:

      Fit:

      Oasis Crewe:
      - How does it fit – form fitting, semi fitted, or loose?
      - Is it soft next to skin like Icebreaker says or itchy like
      other wool products?
      - Are the sleeves proportional to the rest of the shirt?
      - How comfortable is the high neckline?
      - Does the shirt breathe well?
      - Does it trap smells when worn for multiple days?
      - Does it dry quickly if it gets wet from sweat?
      - Does it retain warmth when wet?

      Tech Top:
      - How well does the Tech top fit by itself?
      - With the Oasis Crew layered underneath?
      - Is it form fitting, semi fitted, or loose?
      - Is it soft next to skin like Icebreaker says or itchy like
      other wool products?
      - Are the sleeves proportional to the rest of the shirt?
      - Does the shirt breathe well by itself?
      - When layered with the Oasis Crewe?
      - Does it trap smells when worn for multiple days?

      Durable:
      - How durable are the products?
      - Do I need to be concerned during off trail hiking?
      - Does the fabric wear more underneath my backpack straps?
      - What temperature range are they best used in separately?
      - What temperature range are they best used in together?
      - How easy are the tops to maintain?
      - Are there any special washing instructions?

      Style:
      - Living here in the trendy Pacific Northwest is either shirt
      stylish enough to wear on a rainy day diaper run to Target or while
      out at dinner in downtown Seattle?

      There are many more minute details that I will be happy to explore
      should I be lucky enough to be selected.

      I have multiple tests in progress at the moment but the Coolibar
      tests should be complete before the Icebreaker Tops are shipped.

      Current Tests:

      Coolibar Travel Shirt LTR Due Nov 28, 2006
      Coolibar Trail Hat LTR Due December 5, 2006
      Suunto X9i FR Due December 5, 2006
      Black Diamond Elliptical Spire trekking poles IR posted
      MontBell U. L. Thermawrap Jacket IR posted
      Valandre Mirage – test to begin in January

      Applications outstanding:
      Therm-a-Rest Toughskin Pad
      Marmot Terraplane

      I have also recently posted two new owner reviews: EMS scrambler
      gaiters and HighGear TrailDrop.

      Thanks to Backpack Gear Test and Marmot if selected for this test.

      All my reviews may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/c4jc88

      Owner Reviews
      EMS Scrambler Gaiters
      GoLite Phantom Jacket
      GoLite Feather Sleeping Bag
      GoLite Beat Hydration Pack
      HighGear Trail Drop
      Princeton Tec Aurora
      Crazy Creek Original Chair
      Coleman 553 One Burner Stove
      Nike ACG Air Teocalli
      Lowe Alpine Contour IV 90 + 15
      Doufold T Shirt
      Saucony Grid Xterra Trail running shoes
      Platypus Water Tank

      Tests Completed
      Aqua Mira One shot report
      Feetures! Outdoor Crew Socks
      Ibex Shak Hoody
      Ibex Fall Line Pant
      Ibex Outback Jersey
      Integral Designs Denali Pants
      Integral Designs PLQ Jacket
      Imlay Canyon Gear Canyon Kegs
      Imlay Canyon Knife
      Jetboil Personal Cooking System
      Jetboil Group Cooking System
      Muttluks Dog boots
      Granite Gear Air Compressor Sack
      Granite Gear Aptitude Gloves
      Gregory Triconi
      Keen Newport H2's
      LuxuryLite Travel Pillow
      Outdoor Research Vert Gloves
      Petzl Tikka XP
      Red Ledge Cirrus LT jacket
      Red Ledge Elite Parka
      Red Ledge Elite Pants
      Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sack
      Shock Doctor Ultra Custom Insoles
      Tarptent Rainbow
      Teva Steeps XCR
      Thorlos level 2 socks

      Test Monitor for the following tests in progress:
      Sierra Designs Wicked Fast Sleeping Bag

      Test Monitor for the following completed tests:
      Macabi Skirt for Women
      Speers Frog Sac
      Brasslite Turbo II-F
      Ultimate Direction SpeeDemon