APPLICATION: Icebreaker Men Tops--Will Rietveld

  • Will Rietveld
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      APPLICATION: ICEBREAKER MEN'S TOPS

      Date: November 1, 2006

      Please consider my application to test the Icebreaker Men's Tops. If selected, I would need a men's size Large.

      I have read the new BGT Bylaws v. 0609, and have a signed Tester Agreement on file. I agree to follow all BGT tester requirements.

      I have completed extra owner reviews, and am a BGT monitor and mentor.

      I have participated in 27 BGT tests so far, and I am testing one item right now.

      Thanks for your consideration, and thanks for all the good work you do for BGT.

      Will Rietveld

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Name: Will Rietveld
      Age: 64
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft (183 cm)
      Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email: willi_wabbit at bresnan dot net
      City & State: Durango, CO 81301
      Location for Testing: Southwestern US (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico).

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I have been an avid backpacker for 48 years. I am retired and backpacking is my passion. In the fall, winter, and spring I backpack in UT, AZ, and NM. In the summer I backpack in several wilderness areas in southern Colorado.

      Backpacking Style-I have been a lightweight backpacker for many years and an ultralight backpacker for 7 years. My wife and I give presentations on ultralight backpacking in the local area, and have developed a website called Southwest Ultralight Backpacking (http://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight) to share information.

      TESTER QUALIFICATIONS
      I have participated in 27 BGT tests so far and am very enthusiastic about the Group. I am retired, in good physical condition, and I get out several times a week. I use the items I am testing on numerous trips, my evaluations are thorough, and my reports are always well written and on time. To view examples of my work, see my recent reports (URL's at the bottom of my application).

      If I am selected to participate in this test, I can assure you that the Icebreaker Men's Tops will receive a lot of testing. Specifically, testing will be done:
      ** Every week, usually several times a week. (I'm retired, and get out a lot.)
      ** In the Southwestern US
      ** In alpine, forest, canyon, and desert environments.
      ** Under cold, wet, dry, humid, and windy conditions.
      ** In a variety of outdoor activities.

      PROPOSED TEST
      TEST LOCATIONS-Southwestern US (CO, AZ, UT, NM). The test will run approximately mid-Nov to mid-Feb. This is perfect timing because I can test the Icebreaker Men's Tops in a variety of activities, environments, and conditions.

      TESTING CONDITIONS
      The testing environments and conditions will consist of: high elevation alpine country, desert, canyon country, and forests. Expected extreme conditions include: rain, strong winds, snow storms, low temperatures, and high elevations. Elevations will range from 5,000 to 12,500 feet and temperatures will range from subzero to 60 F.

      ACTIVITIES
      I know the emphasis in BGT is backpacking, but performance clothing is suited for a variety of activities, and it is more difficult to backpack in the wintertime.

      The Icebreaker Men's Tops will be tested in the following activities: 1) backpacking, 2) backcountry winter car camping, 3) snow camping, 4) cold weather day hiking, 5) snowshoeing, 6) backcountry skiing, and 7) ice fishing.

      I will be going on several backpacking trips in southern Utah, and Arizona in late fall. This winter I will be winter car camping and day hiking in the southern Utah backcountry. Snow camping will be in an igloo hut system my wife and I will construct this winter. Once we have a good snowpack in the mountains I will be snowshoeing or backcountry skiing every week, often staying out overnight. Also, starting around December 15, I will go ice fishing weekly with my brother.

      AMOUNT OF USE-I am retired and live in an area surrounded by millions of acres of public lands. I get out several times a week. On my previous tests, I used the gear about 40 days during the four month test period. From the time the Icebreaker Men's Tops arrive, I will wear one every time I go out, which averages 2-3 days a week.

      MEASUREMENTS AND DATA-On each trip I will record the following data using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Meter and take notes in my log book so I have accurate records: 1) weather conditions: precipitation (type and amount), temperature, wind speed, relative humidity, dewpoint, and wind chill; 2) altitude, 3) activity, 4) how the Icebreaker Men's Tops were worn (clothing system), 5) my comfort level wearing the baselayers, and 6) how well the baselayers worked in different activities.

      FACTORS EVALUATED-The specific factors I will be evaluating the Icebreaker Men's Tops for are as follows:

      1) CONSTRUCTION, QUALITY, AND FIT-Are construction and workmanship good? Do they fit well (tightness/looseness, sleeve length, body length, leg length) Are they non-binding?

      2) PERFORMANCE AS A BASE LAYER-How do they feel against my skin? Do they readily wick moisture away from my skin and dry quickly? Do they hold body heat well? How well do they perform in rainy weather and moderate to high exertion? How comfortable are they to wear with various outside layers in cold weather activities-like winter backpacking, snow camping, snowshoeing in the alpine country, and ice fishing? Does other clothing slip over them easily?

      3) PERFORMANCE AS AN OUTER LAYER-On warmer days, can the tops be worn as an outer layer? How warm are they, and how well do they disperse body moisture? Are they durable enough to be worn as an outer layer? If I wear them while hiking, how comfortable are they at different exertion levels? Do they have a broad comfort range? Are they sufficiently warm (or too hot) for cool weather hiking? Are they comfortable over a wide temperature range, e.g. days that start out below freezing and warm up into the 50's or 60's?

      4) PERFORMANCE IN A SLEEPING SYSTEM-Do the Icebreaker Men's Tops provide a lot of warmth for their weight when worn in a sleeping bag to extend its warmth?

      5) ODOR MANAGEMENT-How effectively do they restrain or eliminate odors? Does washing completely remove odors?

      6) DURABILITY-How durable are the Icebreaker Men's Tops? Does the material pill in wear zones? What is its life span likely to be under the conditions I am using them?

      7) VERSATILITY-What is their versatility for different outdoor activities? In my evaluation, I will assess their utility for various uses, including ultralight backpacking.

      9) CLEANING-How easily and well does the Icebreaker Men's Tops clean following the label instructions?

      10) SUITABILITY FOR ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKING-How does the Icebreaker Men's Tops compare with similar products as far as warmth and weight?

      OWNER REPORTS
      1) Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag
      2) Safewater Anywhere Personal Water Filter
      3) GoLite Breeze Pack
      4) Oware 8x10 Flat Silnylon Tarp

      CURRENT TESTS
      1) Montbell Light Alpine Down Jacket
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/MontBell%20Alpine%20Light%20Jacket/Will%20Rietveld/Test%20Report%20by%20Will%20Rietveld

      TESTS COMPLETED
      1) SealSkinz Gloves and Socks
      2) GoLite Trek Backpack
      3) Tarptent Squall
      4) Brasslite Turbo II-D Alcohol Stove
      5) Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Baselayer
      6) Therm-a-Rest Prolite 3 Short Sleeping Pad
      7) Outdoor Research Sahara Cap
      8) Ibex Climacore Ribbed Woolies
      9) Ex Officio Buzz Off Lite LS Shirt
      10) Ex Officio Buzz Off Convertible Pant
      11) Equinox Rainsuit
      12) Ibex Guide Lite Pant
      13) ULA Fusion Pack
      14) Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder Mid-Height Boot
      15) Ibex Scull Cap
      16) Integral Designs eVENT Rain Jacket
      17) Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
      18) Spenco Backpacker Footbeds
      19) Teko Socks
      20) Ibex Scout ½ Zip Shirt
      21) OR Talon Gloves
      22) Duofold Varitherm Silkweight Baselayers
      23) Montbell Alpine Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag

      24) National Geographic State TOPO Software
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Software/Topographic%20Mapping/National%20Geographic%20TOPO%20State%202006/Will%20Rietveld/Long%20Term%20Report/

      25) Xyflex Thermals
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Underwear/Zyflex%20Thermal%20Shirt%20and%20Pants/Will%20Rietveld/Long%20Term%20Report/

      26) Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Cosmo/Will%20Rietveld/Long%20Term%20Report/

      CURRENT MONITORING
      1) Princeton Tec Quad Headlamp

      CURRENT MENTORING
      One person-helping him complete his OR's