Re: [backpackgeartesters] re Question regarding the Caldera Cone test

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      Yeah, Roger is right, make sure it is "denatured"
      alcohol. I've been getting very good results. I'm very
      impressed with it.

      Chuck Carnes

      --- Roger Caffin <r.caffin@...> wrote:

      > > but I'm NOT getting 2 cups of water boiling on one
      > tablespoon (15 ml) of fuel.
      > > I will try to purchase another brand of methanol,
      > in case the that can I have
      > > has somehow deteriorated.
      > Hi Rosaleen
      >
      > Well, methanol does not deteriorate, BUT ...
      > Methanol is toxic to humans, and
      > Methanol has a lower fuel value than ethanol (aka
      > denatured alcohol)
      > Rubbing alcohol contains 30% water
      >
      > To be fair to the system, you should be using
      > denatured ethanol, NOT rubbing alcohol or ethanol.
      > It will work better
      > with ethanol.
      >
      > Also, I find tablespoons to be very unreliable for
      > volume. Did they supply you with a little plastic
      > cap for measuring?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Roger Caffin
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > (Yahoo! ID required)

      mailto:backpackgeartesters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      (http://voice.yahoo.com)
    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Chuck-

        I am using the same denatured alcohol/marine fuel/methanol we've been advised to used as backpackers using alcohol stoves. I think it is the SLX brand from Home Depot. Maybe it was the cold temps and wind. Maybe my particular stove has a bit of a fluke. Maybe I haven't been holding my mouth right. If the instructions say I can get 2 cups of water to boiling on 15 ml of alcohol fuel, and I am 4 for 4 in NOT reaching a boil on a tablespoon (measured as 15 ml), I should start asking if there is a fluke here somewhere that we might fix, rather than writing up a negative report. I WILL report on what I see, but if the manufacturer wants to make a stove adjustment somehow, I'd rather report that I had a minor problem and this is how it was resolved. Oh, yeah, I can also plan more accurately how much fuel to carry on a given weekend and have a lighter pack...

        Rosaleen

        Re : re Question regarding the Caldera Cone test
        Posted by: "Chuck Carnes" ctcarnes1@...<about:blank> ctcarnes1

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          There should have been a small measuring cup (kinda like what comes on top
          of a bottle of Nightquil) that had a number of different measurement scales
          on it. One of those should have been ml.

          Did you get such a cup and are you using it to measure the alcohol?

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.