Re: GoLite Xirtam Jacket IR (Coy Boy)

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...>
      wrote:

      > Proposed Testing Plan
      > My main thrust in testing would be to see if the manufactures claims
      > for the new fabric called Fusion™ are true. Is it really
      > waterproof yet breathable? I would test this claim while hiking
      > with and without my backpack.

      Ooops, I checked my transition from questions in my app to questions
      in my test plan but missed these two. Should be will instead of would.

      Coy Boy
    • Edward Ripley-Duggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hello Coy,

        Here's your edit.

        Ted

        Xirtam test monitor

        At 01:11 AM 11/1/2006, you wrote:

        >GoLite Xirtam Jacket Initial Report
        >By Coy Starnes
        >10/31/2006
        >

        >Tester Bio
        >I live in North East Alabama. I enjoy hunting, fishing, canoeing,
        >and most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my favorite
        >pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike
        >throughout the year and actually hike the least in the hot humid
        >months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is
        >light. However I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability.
        >A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting
        >food or water. I usually sleep in a hammock and cook with an
        >alcohol stove. I will use the wood stove during this test though.

        ### EDIT: Coy, is this left over from another
        test? It is a bit confusing to the reader, given that this is a jacket review.

        >Initial Impressions
        >It looks like a very nice rain jacket with impeccable craftsmanship
        >in the sewing, taping and general finish of the jacket. I also like
        >the hand (feel) of the material.

        ### COMMENT: There's not much point in using the
        textile term "hand" if you then have to explain
        it. I'd suggest either leaving it unelucidated, or simply saying "feel."

        > It actually does feel less like a
        >rain jacket than the hard shells I am familiar with. That said, the
        >jacket is missing a few features listed on the website. These would
        >be the Welded

        ### EDIT: welded

        > chest pocket and 2 rear mesh core vents. Also, I am
        >not quite sure what is meant by "Articulated hood with stretch
        >panels" because the hood on my jacket appears to be made of only one
        >type material.

        ### EDIT: "type of"

        > I can't find any stretch panels, though the entire
        >hood is pretty stretchy. In fact this is the same material used on
        >the shoulder section and down the outside of each arm

        ### COMMENT: Given my next comment, I'd break
        this into two sentences with a period after "arm."

        > described
        >as "Alchemy3 Stretch™ breathable-waterproof fabric in front, back
        >and hood"

        ### EDIT: No period to end of sentence. Also, I'm
        a bit confused by what you are saying here. Maybe
        it would help if you said where it is
        described--presumably on the website or tag? Perhaps something like:

        "It is described on the GoLite website as
        "Alchemy3 Stretch," a breathable-waterproof
        fabric used in the front, back, and hood."

        >Fit
        >I picked an XL based on my personal experience with other jackets.
        >If I had used my chest measurement of 45 in (114 cm) the chart says
        >I need

        ### EDIT: maybe "I would need..."

        > a Large but that I am right at the edge. I am pretty sure
        >the jacket would be too small. They place an XL at 45.5 in thru

        ### EDIT: through

        >49.75 inches. On the other hand, my neck measures 17.5 in (44 cm)
        >is dead center of the XL neck measure the chart recommends.

        ### EDIT: Maybe: "On the other hand, my neck
        measure of 17.5 in (44 cm) is at the dead center
        of the measurement range the chart recommends for
        XL." The sentence as it stands is kinda convoluted and hard to follow.

        >Regardless of all the guessing, the jacket fits me very well in the
        >chest area but is definitely not too big. However, it is snug
        >enough on my shoulders that layering under it will be a challenge.
        >My guess is, my shoulders are broader than the average guy with a 45
        >in (114 cm) chest. It is also comfortable, due in large part too
        >the stretchy material. I have put the jacket on over several of my
        >layers I expected to wear it with. My fleece jacket makes the
        >Xirtam feel way too thigh

        ### EDIT: high

        > on my shoulders. My wool Ibex Scout shirt
        >(really a light weight sweater) is just about perfect even with a
        >regular tee-shirt on under the Scout.
        >

        >Proposed Testing Plan
        >My main thrust in testing would be to see if the manufactures

        ### EDIT: manufacturer's

        > claims
        >for the new fabric called Fusion™ are true. Is it really
        >waterproof yet breathable? I would test this claim while hiking
        >with and without my backpack.

        ### COMMENT: Don't forget to change would to will

        > I have a regular climb which makes me
        >sweat in all but the coldest weather. When I wear my pack I sweat
        >even more easily. I will pay close attention to how much I sweat
        >and also how wet my layers under the Xirtam get. And since the
        >Xirtam is advertised as "A single jacket that'll keep you dry and
        >comfortable over a full range of weather and activities" I will use
        >it not only for backpacking and day hiking, but biking, and any
        >other time I'm outdoors in the rain, wind or cold (or any
        >combination of the three). When biking I have already seen that it
        >does not have to be that cold to need a jacket.
        >
        >I will test the comfort of the Xirtam. The Fusion™ fabric is
        >advertised as soft and stretchy which should allow me to be nimble
        >on foot. I don't really rock climb, but do have to move in awkward
        >positions as I scramble along some portions of trails. As a "soft
        >shell" I expect the jacket to be quiet. I hate a noisy rain coat.
        >
        >I will test the key features of the Xirtam. Is the jacket warm
        >enough for most of my local hiking areas without a lot of extra
        >layers underneath? Does the jacket allow for layering when needed
        >(this depends on fit of course)? My original plan was to wear the
        >Xirtam over my fleece jacket in cold weather but early testing of
        >fit says I will need to use slightly thinner layers under the
        >Xirtam. How warm are the hand warmer pockets? Are they placed in a
        >manner that lets my hands fit in them naturally? Do they collect
        >water when used in heavy rain? Are the vents made in such a way so
        >that they remain waterproof? Does the hood allow for good vision?
        >Hearing? Does the Aerodynamic fit make me faster on the trail? On
        >my bike?
        >
        >I will test the durability of the Xirtam. I will wear it as my main
        >winter coat during all backpacking and other outdoor activities. In
        >order to wear the jacket more I will wear it in place of my fleece
        >jacket even when it is not raining. When even colder I will wear
        >whatever I can comfortable

        ### EDIT: comfortably