re Question regarding the Caldera Cone test

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2006
      > but I'm NOT getting 2 cups of water boiling on one tablespoon (15 ml) of fuel.
      > I will try to purchase another brand of methanol, in case the that can I have
      > has somehow deteriorated.
      Hi Rosaleen

      Well, methanol does not deteriorate, BUT ...
      Methanol is toxic to humans, and
      Methanol has a lower fuel value than ethanol (aka denatured alcohol)
      Rubbing alcohol contains 30% water

      To be fair to the system, you should be using denatured ethanol, NOT rubbing alcohol or ethanol. It will work better
      with ethanol.

      Also, I find tablespoons to be very unreliable for volume. Did they supply you with a little plastic cap for measuring?

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Chuck Carnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Yeah, Roger is right, make sure it is "denatured"
        alcohol. I've been getting very good results. I'm very
        impressed with it.

        Chuck Carnes

        --- Roger Caffin <r.caffin@...> wrote:

        > > but I'm NOT getting 2 cups of water boiling on one
        > tablespoon (15 ml) of fuel.
        > > I will try to purchase another brand of methanol,
        > in case the that can I have
        > > has somehow deteriorated.
        > Hi Rosaleen
        >
        > Well, methanol does not deteriorate, BUT ...
        > Methanol is toxic to humans, and
        > Methanol has a lower fuel value than ethanol (aka
        > denatured alcohol)
        > Rubbing alcohol contains 30% water
        >
        > To be fair to the system, you should be using
        > denatured ethanol, NOT rubbing alcohol or ethanol.
        > It will work better
        > with ethanol.
        >
        > Also, I find tablespoons to be very unreliable for
        > volume. Did they supply you with a little plastic
        > cap for measuring?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Roger Caffin
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > (Yahoo! ID required)

        mailto:backpackgeartesters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        (http://voice.yahoo.com)
      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          Chuck-

          I am using the same denatured alcohol/marine fuel/methanol we've been advised to used as backpackers using alcohol stoves. I think it is the SLX brand from Home Depot. Maybe it was the cold temps and wind. Maybe my particular stove has a bit of a fluke. Maybe I haven't been holding my mouth right. If the instructions say I can get 2 cups of water to boiling on 15 ml of alcohol fuel, and I am 4 for 4 in NOT reaching a boil on a tablespoon (measured as 15 ml), I should start asking if there is a fluke here somewhere that we might fix, rather than writing up a negative report. I WILL report on what I see, but if the manufacturer wants to make a stove adjustment somehow, I'd rather report that I had a minor problem and this is how it was resolved. Oh, yeah, I can also plan more accurately how much fuel to carry on a given weekend and have a lighter pack...

          Rosaleen

          Re : re Question regarding the Caldera Cone test
          Posted by: "Chuck Carnes" ctcarnes1@...<about:blank> ctcarnes1

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
            There should have been a small measuring cup (kinda like what comes on top
            of a bottle of Nightquil) that had a number of different measurement scales
            on it. One of those should have been ml.

            Did you get such a cup and are you using it to measure the alcohol?

            Jerry

            reviews and tests on the planet.