Question regarding the Caldera Cone test

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Subject: Question regarding the Caldera Cone test

      Hi, Jim, and All-

      I've done some early-stage testing of the Caldera Cone System. I can keep on as this seems to be heading and just track it, but I'm NOT getting 2 cups of water boiling on one tablespoon (15 ml) of fuel. The stove is supposed to be tuned to the cone and pot to optimize the btu's used. I'm wondering if the stove is not quite "tuned." Should we contact Trail Designs to see if they want to make any adjustment to the stove here? It would be sad to end up with a negative result on one of their greatest selling points when I could just as well tout their (hopefully stellar) customer service in ensuring their product that lives up to their claims.

      While waiting your and their responses, I will try to purchase another brand of methanol, in case the that can I have has somehow deteriorated.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

    • Edward Ripley-Duggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        FWIW

        If you are using "denatured alcohol," the ethanol content and
        introduced contaminants can be quite variable. The problem is that
        the calorific value can be fairly variable.

        You can't even buy 95 percent lab grade ethanol in the US without
        adulterants, but that's what I'd use if feasible, as the fuel formula
        is then known. You may need to be a business to buy it, unfortunately
        (though this may vary by state)?

        Speaking personally, I'd not request adjustments from them, as that's
        not something that they will be able to do for all consumers. I might
        mention the problem (not indicating that I am with BGT, of course)
        and see if they have any suggestions.

        Best,

        Ted.

        At 09:49 PM 10/31/2006, you wrote:

        >Subject: Question regarding the Caldera Cone test
        >
        >Hi, Jim, and All-
        >
        >I've done some early-stage testing of the Caldera Cone System. I can
        >keep on as this seems to be heading and just track it, but I'm NOT
        >getting 2 cups of water boiling on one tablespoon (15 ml) of fuel.
        >The stove is supposed to be tuned to the cone and pot to optimize
        >the btu's used. I'm wondering if the stove is not quite "tuned."
        >Should we contact Trail Designs to see if they want to make any
        >adjustment to the stove here? It would be sad to end up with a
        >negative result on one of their greatest selling points when I could
        >just as well tout their (hopefully stellar) customer service in
        >ensuring their product that lives up to their claims.
        >
        >While waiting your and their responses, I will try to purchase
        >another brand of methanol, in case the that can I have has somehow
        >deteriorated.
        >
        >Cheers!
        >
        >Rosaleen

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
          Rosaleen, this is a member comment. I have used alcohol stoves quite a
          lot. You might want to test it with ethanol, usually sold in hardware
          stores as shellac thinner. It has more BTUs per ounce available than
          methanol.

          I will let your test moderator answer your main question.

          Rick