Test Application: Marmont Terraplane Backpack - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      Marmot Terraplane Backpack Test Application

      Please review and accept my application to test the
      Marmot Terraplane. I have read the
      Backpackgeartest.org Bylaws v. 0609, Appendices and
      BGT Survival Guide and agree to follow all guidelines
      within. My color choice would first be Fire/Asphalt,
      then Admiral/Asphalt. The size I would need would be a
      Medium.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’0” (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com

      City, State, Country: Greenville, S.C. United States

      Date: October 31, 2006

      Backpacking Background:
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one man tent camper for now until
      something I like better comes along. I like to carry a
      single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve
      stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the
      trail as often as I can.

      Field Information:
      I plan to test the Marmot Terraplane in the Smokey
      Mountains National Park of Tennessee, Mt. Mitchell of
      North Carolina and in Jones Gap of South Carolina. I
      will also be taking several camping trips with my
      family and will be going on weekend outings with my
      sons Cub Scout group. Below are the trips that I will
      be taking and the data needed for the consideration of
      this test.

      Smokey Mountains
      Planned trips: I will be coming here in November on a
      three day hike and possibly again in the first part of
      January on a 5 day hike.
      Conditions: The Fall and Winter months here are very
      nice but can be very cold. The winds can make the
      temps drop very quickly. The rain here will usually
      turn into snow because of the temps and the moist air.
      I got stuck last year in this area with no trekking
      poles trying to walk in 18 in. of snow.
      Elevation: 5500 to 6500 ft (1676 to 1981 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      November: HI (42 F / 5 C) LO (28 F / -2 C) 6 in (15
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (37 F / 2 C) LO (21 F / -6 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      January: HI (35 F / 1 C) LO (19 F / -7 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      February: HI (35 F / 1 C) LO (18 F / -7 C) 8 in (20
      cm) precipitation
      March: HI (39 F / 3 C) LO (24 F / -4 C) 8 in (20
      cm) precipitation

      Jones Gap
      Planned trips: I plan to go on several spur of the
      moment trips here. I would say at least 2 to 4 nights
      per month so that would make 8 to 16 nights during the
      test period. I will also be doing several day hikes in
      this area usually 2 – 5 miles (3-8 km) depending on
      the mood of the wife and kids. Me and my family
      usually go here on several trips during the Fall to
      local hiking and backpacking trails and walk up camp
      sites.
      Conditions: The temperatures here will be mild up
      until about November and December. It will probably be
      mostly dry and warm conditions.
      Elevation: 4500 to 5500 ft (1372 to 1676 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      November: HI (78 F / 26 C) LO (27 F / -2 C) 5 in (12
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (67 F / 19 C) LO (12 F / -11 C) 2 in (5
      cm) precipitation
      January: HI (72 F / 22 C) LO (14 F / -10 C) 1 in (2
      cm) precipitation
      February: HI (71 F / 22 C) LO (23 F / -4 C) 4 in (10
      cm) precipitation
      March: HI (78 F / 25 C) LO (21 F / -6 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation

      Mt. Mitchell
      Planned trips: I plan to go here in the first part of
      December for a long day hike. We will probably turn it
      into an overnight trip and maybe a two nighter.
      Conditions: Conditions here in the winter are very
      unpredictable. It could be sun shining and then at the
      last minute you could have snow flurries because of
      the location.
      Elevation: 5500 to 6500 ft (1676 to 1981 m)
      Temperatures and precipitation average for this
      testing period:
      November: HI (42 F / 5 C) LO (28 F / -2 C) 6 in (15
      cm) precipitation
      December: HI (37 F / 2 C) LO (21 F / -6 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      January: HI (35 F / 1 C) LO (19 F / -7 C) 7 in (17
      cm) precipitation
      February: HI (35 F / 1 C) LO (18 F / -7 C) 8 in (20
      cm) precipitation
      March: HI (39 F / 3 C) LO (24 F / -4 C) 8 in (20
      cm) precipitation

      Background for this test:
      I currently carry a 4500 cu in (74 l) pack. It is an
      internal frame pack and fits very well to my body. My
      torso length measured with a seamstress tape is 19 in.
      (483 mm.) and I would prefer to wear a Medium Torso
      size pack. My waist size is 34 in. (864 mm.), so I
      could fit in the Medium size also. Shoulder straps
      would be a size Medium. I typically carry a lot of
      stuff, most of it is not needed but I like stuffing a
      pack to its fullest. I also like keeping my gear
      organized and when I have to carry my kids stuff, it
      makes it even harder to keep it organized.

      Test Plan:
      The Pack and Fit:
      If I am chosen for this test I will conduct a full
      examination of all of the features that the web site
      claims. Some of those things would be load
      distribution capabilities and the very fit of the pack
      on my back. Will I be able to adjust the straps to
      keep the pack from swaying or feeling top heavy? Will
      I be able to adjust this system well enough to have
      that custom fit feeling? How easy is it to adjust? Do
      I need tools to adjust the frame system? I currently
      do not have back problems, but after carrying a 35 to
      40 lb (15.88 to 18.14 kg) pack all day, the back tends
      to get a little sore. Will I find this type of
      technology the key to enjoying long days on the trail?

      Shoulder straps for this pack, are they narrow or wide
      enough to distribute the weight evenly across the
      shoulders for a comfortable fit? As far as ventilation
      to the back, how well does this pack keep moisture and
      heat away from my back? How easy are the aluminum
      stays to bend and shape to create a customized fit?
      Does the pack tend to sway from side-to-side? If it
      does, is it easy to fix and can I do it on the go? How
      well do the Hip Loop Lifters work? Can I tell a
      difference when they are engaged? Will the pack stay
      steady on my back if I have to do any creek or rock
      scrambling? Will different size loads affect the
      stability and function of the pack?

      Packing:
      How well do my things pack in the Terraplane? I will
      post my gear list in my reports along with weights of
      the gear for personal comparison. Viewing the web site
      picture, it shows that there are two, huge vertical
      outside pockets on the front. Will this be a problem
      for someone like me who is an organizational nut? Will
      the vertical column style pockets keep me from
      organizing my gear? Will I be able to organize my gear
      in these and hope that it doesn’t all spill out when I
      unzip them? What about the gear that I need to get to
      quickly, will I have to make sure that it is at the
      top of the pack or possibly attach it to the outside?
      Does the Terraplane have an extension collar at the
      top of the opening? If so, how much does it extend?
      How well do the straps that are provided, hold gear to
      the outside? How easy is it to attach gear to the
      outside via the daisy chain? With the daisy chain
      being buried between the two vertical pockets, will it
      be difficult to hang things in this area such as
      shoes, rope, a jacket and so-on?

      Is the sleeping bag compartment big enough to hold a
      low degree winter bag? Will it fit or will I have to
      strap it to the top or back? Is the bottom made out of
      material that will keep the sleeping bag from getting
      wet from the bottom? Will this material hold up to a
      wet ground and constantly putting the pack on the
      ground? How much rain or snow can the material of the
      pack take before gear starts getting wet and to
      prevent wear on the bottom of the pack? Does it have a
      pouch for water bladders? If so, is there an exit for
      the hose? What size bladder will it hold? Where and
      how is the best way to carry tent poles, hiking
      sticks, sleeping pad and such?

      The LTD Nylon 420d HD Small Rip material of the pack
      seems to be sturdy and somewhat water resistant. How
      well does the fabric shed water? Will I have to put a
      coat of water repellent on the outside of the pack?
      Are the seams sealed or will I have to do that?

      This pack seems to fit my style of backpacking and it
      will be put through various situations to test the
      durability and the quality of this pack. It seems to
      be the perfect size for me to carry when the family
      goes out and I have to carry everything. Weight and
      specifications of the pack upon arrival will be
      reviewed, commented and recorded.

      Thank you for your time to consider my application. I
      hope to answer most, if not all, of these questions in
      my Field and Long Term Report.

      If I am chosen to test the Marmot Terraplane, I will
      conduct a full examination of the pack and its
      features. I have assessed my current work load as a
      tester and I am aware of the projected due dates for
      this test and I feel that this test will not hinder
      any of my upcoming reports. See below for current
      phase of gear that I am testing. Thank you Marmot and
      BGT for the opportunity to be considered for this
      test.

      Gear that I am currently testing and their progress
      phase:
      Coleman Fyrestorm Ti Stove: Field Testing (FR due
      November 7, 06 and LTR: Jan. 9, 07)
      Suunto X9i Wrist-to computer: Field Testing (FR due
      date is December 5, 06 and LTR: Jan. 30, 07)
      Caldera Cone Stove System: Field Testing (FR due date
      is January 7, 07)

      Moderator/Manger Note:
      ** I have applied for the Valandre Classic 700 but the
      test will not start until January.

      Currently a Mentor for: 2 people

      BGT Moderator for: 5 tests

      Completed Tests: 27

      Owner Reviews Uploaded: 5

      Other Reviews and Reports By Chuck Carnes:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ctcarnes1