TEST CALL: Ladies only - Wind, Weather, and even a tad bit of Warm

  • nwcurt
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
      Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org are very pleased to announce
      that we are seeking three adventurous ladies to test the Outdoor
      Research Paradox Jacket!

      THE GOODS:

      Outdoor Research Paradox Jacket

      Women's Version: http://tinyurl.com/ygjf58

      From Outdoor Research:
      The Paradox has a light ripstop shell that provides you with wind and
      weather protection. The soft lining keeps you feeling dry and
      comfortable throughout the day. It's the ideal shell for sunny days
      with a cool wind.

      + Wind-resistant/breathable 40D ripstop nylon
      + Brushed tricot lining
      + Internal chest pocket
      + Brushed tricot-lined handwarmer pockets
      + Elastic cuffs with laminated hook/loop tabs
      + Dual drawcord hem adjustments

      Avg. weight: 10.5 oz./296 g (size M)

      Style #: 95665

      Colors: Fireweed, Delphi, Coffee
      Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL (sizing chart on the website)
      MSRP (USD): $89.00

      THE GIVE:

      Selected testers will have thorough applications for this excellent
      jacket. Please include accurate sizing information and detailed
      conditions it will be tested in. There are 3 jackets total to test -
      they come in ONLY Women's versions.

      Please check the website for pictures, colors, and OR's sizing
      chart. Include your preferred color, but assume that it's not guaranteed.

      One Item Newbie rule in effect.
      International testers are presumed okay to apply.

      Applications accepted until 11:59p.m. PST Wednesday, November 1st (my
      birthday!)
    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
        Good morning!

        I see only one application so far for a pretty nice jacket. It looks
        to be very similar in function to the Marmot DriClime jackets that
        have developed a pretty religious following over the years. Closes
        tomorrow night - let's see some apps, ladies!

        -Curt

        > Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org are very pleased to announce
        > that we are seeking three adventurous ladies to test the Outdoor
        > Research Paradox Jacket!
        >

        > THE GOODS:
        >
        > Outdoor Research Paradox Jacket
        >
        > Women's Version: http://tinyurl.com/ygjf58
        >
        > From Outdoor Research:
        > The Paradox has a light ripstop shell that provides you with wind and
        > weather protection. The soft lining keeps you feeling dry and
        > comfortable throughout the day. It's the ideal shell for sunny days
        > with a cool wind.
        >
        > + Wind-resistant/breathable 40D ripstop nylon
        > + Brushed tricot lining
        > + Internal chest pocket
        > + Brushed tricot-lined handwarmer pockets
        > + Elastic cuffs with laminated hook/loop tabs
        > + Dual drawcord hem adjustments
        >
        > Avg. weight: 10.5 oz./296 g (size M)
        >
        > Style #: 95665
        >
        > Colors: Fireweed, Delphi, Coffee
        > Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL (sizing chart on the website)
        > MSRP (USD): $89.00
        >

        > THE GIVE:
        >
        > Selected testers will have thorough applications for this excellent
        > jacket. Please include accurate sizing information and detailed
        > conditions it will be tested in. There are 3 jackets total to test -
        > they come in ONLY Women's versions.
        >
        > Please check the website for pictures, colors, and OR's sizing
        > chart. Include your preferred color, but assume that it's not
        guaranteed.

        > One Item Newbie rule in effect.
        > International testers are presumed okay to apply.
        >
        > Applications accepted until 11:59p.m. PST Wednesday, November 1st (my
        > birthday!)

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
          Curt-

          I took another look at this OR Paradox jacket. I can try to assemble an application for this jacket before tomorrow night, but I anticipate that in the Northeast, at least, I would need a water proof shell for winter wear. Every windy day might not be wet, but in likely cold temps, if only one jacket is available (as on my backpacking trips) it needs to be waterproof as well as windproof. I might risk getting soaked on a summer day hike, but don't want to be caught getting soaked when it is cold and I'm far from a road.

          Is this a jacket better tested in milder weather, or maybe a warmer, dry climate?

          Happy Birthday tomorrow!

          Rosaleen

          Re: TEST CALL: Ladies only - CLOSING WED
          From: nwcurt

        • nwcurt
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2006
            Rosaleen,

            As far as being better tested in milder weather or a warmer dry
            climate, that's what we'd hope to find out from testing, so going into
            it you could try whatever conditions you wanted and tell how it
            performs. Using ANY product only in the ideal range a manufacturer
            recommends is pretty limiting and not necessarily realistic for real
            world use.

            All that said, this is the kind of jacket I find just about perfect
            for wearing in the middle of winter when I'm active. Even down into
            the teens I would wear something like this while I'm hiking. I tend
            to believe that getting wet from perspiration in winter is as
            dangerous as getting wet from snow, so a super breathable layer like
            this would fit the bill nicely to take a chill off and be able to keep
            up with you while you're on the move.

            Comparisons can be dangerous, but browse around for reviews on the
            Marmot DriClime. People love them in everything but a sauna or a
            monsoon! This piece looks very similar to me.

            Hope that helps in deciding whether to apply or not. And thanks for
            the birthday note!

            -Curt
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
            <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

            > Curt-
            >
            > I took another look at this OR Paradox jacket. I can try to
            assemble an application for this jacket before tomorrow night, but I
            anticipate that in the Northeast, at least, I would need a water proof
            shell for winter wear. Every windy day might not be wet, but in
            likely cold temps, if only one jacket is available (as on my
            backpacking trips) it needs to be waterproof as well as windproof. I
            might risk getting soaked on a summer day hike, but don't want to be
            caught getting soaked when it is cold and I'm far from a road.

            > Is this a jacket better tested in milder weather, or maybe a warmer,
            dry climate?

            > Happy Birthday tomorrow!
            >
            > Rosaleen
            >

            > Re: TEST CALL: Ladies only - CLOSING WED
            > From: nwcurt

          • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
              You didn't say whose application you did find... Just to be on the
              safe side, mine is #25265.

              Marie-Noëlle

              --
              Marie-Noëlle
              Wilderness Addict
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
                If you haven't enough apps for this and will consider an app that will promise only day hiking (I can't commit to any overnights right now), let me know and I'll try to bang one out tonight.

                Kathy Waters
                PS - Happy Birthday!!!

                http://www.eset.com