LTR- Ibex Shak Jersey

  • Leesa J
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      Shak Jersey
      Ibex Outdoor Clothing, LLC
      Long Term Report
      May 1, 2005

      Personal Information:

      Leesa Joiner
      leesaj@...
      Southwestern Maine
      43 years old
      Female
      5'7" (1.7 M)
      150 lb (68 kg)

      Background:

      My camping, hiking and backpacking experience has included trips varying in
      length from one day hikes to two-week trips. My experience hiking began with
      my father when I was about six years old. We hiked along the river pathways
      in northeastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While enjoying the outdoors
      with friends and family, I spend time hiking, geocaching, snowshoeing,
      cross-country skiing and camping. Although I am not a lightweight
      backpacker, I am trying to 'lighten up' and primarily use a hammock for
      sleeping.

      Product Information:

      I received a black, Shak Jersey, size women's medium on October 20th. The
      jersey is a soft, merino wool, that has a contoured fit, that is neither
      snug, nor binding. The sleeves are long enough and allow for free movement
      of my arms. I must have long arms, as most pullover type tops I have tried
      have sleeves that are about 2 inches (5 cm) short. All seams have a secure
      binding stitch and the zipper is well constructed.

      IBEX Outdoor Clothing, LLC
      2800 Westerdale Cut-Off Rd.
      Woodstock, Vermont 05091
      (800) 773-9647
      http://www.ibexwear.com

      Shak Jersey
      Size: Medium
      Color: Black
      Weight- Actual: 13 oz (369 g)
      Advertised: 13.4 oz (380 g)(Average)

      MSRP: $125.00

      The following is the description from the web site-
      The ultimate performance mid layer. Dense knit breathable Merino sheds
      water, snow and wind. Flatlock construction. Deep zip for ventilation.
      Durable stretch. Semi fit.

      Test Locations and Conditions:
      During the last six months, I have camped and/or backpacked at least one
      weekend a month in western Maine and northeastern New Hampshire, in the
      White Mountain National Forest and surrounding areas. In November, I went on
      a 3 day outdoor Girl Scout training in central Maine. In February I went
      with some friends on a snowshoe overnighter in southern Vermont. March held
      two trips, one to Ohio for 4-6 days and one to western Massachusetts to hike
      the Isaac Davis Trail for 3 days. On these trips and other day-trips I wore
      the Ibex Shak Jersey. On the coldest trips, I wore the jersey as an
      undergarment and over garment - over cotton turtlenecks, over my Hot Chillys
      Bio-silver shirt ( a little too bulky) under fleece pullovers and an
      Integral Designs Dolmitti Jacket and with all these layers while out ice
      fishing in - 2 F (C) temperatures (can you say crazy?)

      Test Impressions:
      The Shak Jersey has really proven itself! I've worn it in extremely cold
      temperatures, such as -22 F (C) while shoveling snow and traipsing out to
      the chicken coop at 5 a.m. It has worked very well at providing insulation
      against extremely cold weather. The fabric has a warm feel to it, even after
      being packed in a pack during cold weather. I am impressed with how well the
      jersey has held its shape, the zipper works smoothly and there has been only
      minimal pilling. The pilling has occurred mostly in the underarm area. It is
      most likely caused by rubbing of the fabric on itself and other fabrics.
      I have only two issues with the jersey. One is that I had to really make
      sure to keep it dry. Once wet, it took a long time to dry and was
      uncomfortable to wear wet. The fabric seemed to wick water from the original
      wet area. In other words, if the collar area got wet, the wet area soon
      spread down the back or over my shoulder. This was not a problem once I
      noticed it and made sure that I kept a waterproof layer over the jersey. I
      found that my skin would chill somewhat in the wet area, but the dry parts
      of the jersey retained the insulating value. This only occurred when rain
      came in contact with the jersey, snow could easily be brushed off, or would
      just fall off. The other is the jersey's ability to block wind, while worn
      alone is questionable - during winds above 20 mph, the wind was very
      noticeable against my skin. When worn with another layer, such as a cotton
      turtleneck, there was considerable improvement in insulation. The jersey did
      not seem to cause excessive perspiration. While snowshoeing, I did perspire
      (especially early in the season) the fabric continued to feel dry next to my
      skin. This really cuts down on the chilling that occures during rest breaks.

      The jersey has proven itself as a very versatile garment, whether worn as an
      under, mid, outer or only layer. It provides a comfortable, warm fit. I plan
      on wearing the jersey for a long time to come. Thanks to Ibex and
      BGT.org<http://BGT.org>for the opportunity to test the Shak Jersey.

      --
      This land is your land, this land is my land...
      Woody Guthrie

    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2005
        Shak Jersey Ibex Outdoor Clothing, LLC
        Long Term Report Leesa Joiner

        Hi Leesa,
        A few nit pick edit suggestions follow enclosed between *** ***
        marks. Great job!
        Carol

        5'7" (1.7 M)
        *** (1.7 m) ***

        length from one day hikes to two-week trips. My experience hiking
        *** "one-day" would mak ethis read a tiny bit more clearly ***

        The other is the jersey's ability to block wind, while worn
        alone is questionable - during winds above 20 mph, the wind was very
        noticeable against my skin.
        *** above is awkwardly worded ***

        While snowshoeing, I did perspire (especially early in the season)
        the fabric continued to feel dry next to my skin. This really cuts
        *** I did perspire (especially early in the season) [missing word
        here - "and"?] the fabric ***