Application to test Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster - Josh Esteves

  • Josh E.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2006
      Application to test
      Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock

      Please accept my application to test the Oregon Scientific Handheld
      Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock

      I have read The BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609. My tester
      agreement is on file. I agree to comply with requirements as outlined
      in the Bylaws.

      Date: October 6, 2006

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Josh Esteves
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'3" (191 cm)
      Weight: 265 (120 kg)
      Email address: jandk1800(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Modesto, CA USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking five years ago, mostly
      day hiking and overnight trips with a few multi day trips and one solo
      3 day trip. I started backpacking in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas
      and recently returned to California and have been hiking the coastal
      Santa Cruz Mountains and the Sierras. I started backpacking as a
      heavy weight (over a 65# pack for a overnight trip) but now consider
      myself a lightweight backpacker (10-15# base weight). I have found
      that lightweight backpacking allows me to carry all my gear and my son
      at the same time. I have spent many hours researching the best way to
      lower my pack weight. I have custom made a few pieces of gear. All
      my hours of research allowed my wife and I to go from carrying a
      combined weight of 105 pounds(47.5kg) on our first overnight trip to a
      combined weight of 40 pounds(18.14 kg) on our second overnight trip.
      After that we were hooked on light weight backpacking. Since then I
      have tried many things to lower my pack weight from carrying an 2.2
      ounce rucksack, which didn't work out to well, to using a singling
      tarp pitched with my hiking poles. I am continually searching for
      ways to lower my pack weight.

      Why I'd like to test the Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster
      with Alarm Clock:
      I currently just look to the sky or stick my hand in the wind for a
      weather forcast while backpacking. So obviously any weather
      forecaster would be an improvement. I am also very interested in the
      alarm. It would be nice to have an alarm for morning wakeup calls,
      for cooking, and for chemical water treatments that require 30 minutes
      to work. I also like the idea of having a sever weather alert so I
      can get my rain gear out before the thunderstorm rolls in. I don't
      know much about barometric pressure so I would need to study up on
      that so I could better understand what the forecaster is saying.

      Field Information -

      I would be testing the Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster
      with Alarm Clock in California. Elevations could vary from sea level
      to over 7000 feet (0 to 2100 meters). I would use the forecaster for
      both day-hiking and backpacking. Terrain would vary from hilly to
      mountainous for the most part. Temperatures expected during an
      anticipated test period of late October/early November to late
      February/early March could range anywhere from lows near 10 F (-12 C)
      to highs around 80 F (27 C), with conditions ranging from dry to heavy
      rain, to snow, and hail.

      Testing plan –

      I must admit, I am very skeptical of the Oregon Scientific Handheld
      Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock. I could find anywhere that says
      it is waterproof or even water resistant, so a belt clip if hiking in
      the rain doesn't do any good. And even to check the weather you would
      have to be in some sort of shelter to make sure it stays dry. I also
      wonder if it would change the forecast or any of the reading if I keep
      in in my bag to keep the forecaster dry. It also claims to be pocket
      sized so would it be okay to keep it in a pocket or would my body
      temperature effect the readings. The Oregon Scientific Handheld
      Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock also appears to be made of plastic
      and I question its durability. Could it handled being tossed around
      in my pack or does it need to be babied. A weather forecaster can't
      be any good if it gets broke on the way to the trail. I would like to
      test the durability of the belt clip to make sure I won't loose it on
      the trail. I also plan on testing the Oregon Scientific Handheld
      Weather Forecaster with Alarm Clock at home where I can leave it
      outside and see how well it predicts the weather. It claims to be
      70-75% accurate. That doesn't sound too good to think that 1 out of 4
      days will likely be forecasted wrong. The moon feature could be
      useful for night hiking while using the moon to navigate, but a
      compass would be more practical if you are going to be carrying a
      weather forecaster you should have a compass as well. So all in all I
      don't see much use for the moon feature. With all that being said, I
      plan on taking it along on at least one overnight trip a month, two or
      more day hikes, and on any of my other travels.

      For my Initial Report, I would want to report on –

      Weight
      Accuracy
      Ease of use
      Size
      Pack ability
      Does it really fit in my pocket comfortably
      Overall craftsmanship
      Features
      Likely hood of using the features
      How easy it is to read
      Are the instructions easy to understand
      How bright is the light
      Is the alarm loud enough
      Simplicity

      Field and Long Term test plan

      I plan on testing the Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster
      with Alarm Clock for durability, pack ability, and reliability. Does
      the face scratch easily, how easy is it to get working and stay
      working. Is it practical and is it worth the weight. It says it can
      operate down to -4F(-20C) but 32F(0C) is the lowest temperature that
      it is still most accurate at and I will be doing most of the testing
      above freezing so that should help but what is the real accuracy at
      lower temperatures. How long is the battery life.

      Link to all my completed reviews & reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jandk1800

      I am currently not conducting any tests. However, I do have one test
      application out for the Black Diamond Elliptical Spire, the Silva
      Versatile Outdoor Computer and the GoLite Xirtam jacket. If I am
      chosen for all tests, I do not see any problems as they are not in the
      same area. Except for the Silva Versatile Outdoor Computer which I
      could use with the Oregon Scientific Handheld Weather Forecaster with
      Alarm Clock to check their accuracy with each other. I would be able
      to use the all the products at the same time and be able to get my
      reviews in on time.

      I would like to thank you for considering me to test this gear.

      Josh Esteves