Re: LTR- Thorlo Light Hikers - Thomas Vickers

  • Louis Luangkesorn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Thank you for your report. My apoligies for the delay in responding.
      Here are some suggestions. In particular, please look at the
      discussion on liner socks. Since the liner is an auxiliary to the
      item being tested, it would be helpful to treat it somewhat
      differently. Please repost your edits. Thank you.

      Louis
      --------
      Thorlos Men's CoolMax® - LIGHT HIKER Crew Socks Long Term Report
      April 19, 2005
      Thomas Vickers
      37 years old
      Male
      5 feet 11 inches tall (1.8 meters)
      170 lb (77 kg)
      redroach@...
      Southeast Texas, Houston Area

      Tester Background:
      I grew up in the piney woods of Southeast Texas. Camping was a quick
      trip into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has
      evolved and over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter
      weight approach to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents,
      just lighter versions). While I have flirted with lightweight hiking,
      I feel that I am more of a mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one
      of comfort, while carrying the lightest load possible

      Details from Manufacturer:

      <snip>

      To line or not to line:

      EDIT: For the discussion about liners, remember that you are
      evaluating the LIGHT HIKER and the purpose of the liner discussion is
      as a common auxiliary to these socks. I would suggest rewriting this
      section:
      1. Explain why you think a liner would be necessary, i.e. that you
      would sweat a lot while wearing these socs and this causes . . .
      (examples blisters, loss of warmth, discomfort)
      2. How to use this with a liner and how this resolves the issue (if
      it does)
      3. Optional: considerations that would cause using a liner to
      perform poorly, e.g. poor/incorrect use of the liner, wrong type of
      liner, a use of the sock that a liner would not be useful.
      4. What kinds of liner would you use (since you used several, e.g.
      thick or thin

      I ran into some bad news when I decided to finally try a liner sock
      with the Thorlos Men's CoolMax Light Hiker Crew socks. I used a full
      fledged Thorlos liner (100% CoolMax with padding in the heel and
      football areas) for this part of the test. I was going to spend a long
      morning geocaching and I figured this was a safe thing to do. The
      temperatures were around 80 F (21 C) and I can report that the 'sweaty
      foot' syndrome didn't happened when I used a liner sock. I was also
      happy that the Light Hiker fit over this particular liner since I had
      convinced myself that it was going to fit too tightly to accommodate a
      liner of this weight. Boy was I wrong. The sock went on over the liner
      and felt comfy. It fit my feet and boots very well. The problem
      cropped up after walking about 2 miles (3 km) while searching
      for several caches and it was a nasty hotspot underneath my right
      heel. It was smack dab in the middle of the bottom of my heel and it
      was not nice. I returned home and yanked the socks and liners off. I
      haven't had a blister in several years and I was not happy about this
      event. I have worn these boots with these socks and footbeds with no
      problems. I have also worn these boots, footbeds and liners with other
      hiking socks with no problems.

      The next step I took was to put both the socks and liners on and try a
      different shoe. I had my daily run coming up ( 2 miles (3 km)), so I
      put the liners on over the socks, inserted the footbeds into my
      athletic shoes and headed off. The hotspot was gone and the socks
      performed very well during my run.

      The good news is that it appeared to be user error rather than a
      problem with the sock and liner combo. Once the liner and sock was put
      on again and pulled up properly I encountered no further problems with
      hotspots no matter what activity I was participating in.

      Final test issues:
      EDIT: probably 'other test issues'

      I have worn these socks with a wide variety of shoes and boots while
      participating in a lot of different activities. They are comfortable
      and provide my foot with the padding that I require, but I have
      decided that I much prefer them while wearing a liner sock of some
      sort. Without the liner sock, I tend to suffer from sweaty feet as the
      temperatures rise. This makes any sock/shoe combination uncomfortable
      for me, but I find it especially noticeable with the Thorlo Light
      Hikers. With a liner sock though, there is no sweaty feet problem and
      I really like these socks. I originally thought that they were going
      to be too tight on my feet to allow the use of a liner, but I managed
      to use several thicknesses of liner socks with the Thorlo Light Hikers
      with equal success.
      EDIT: this should be folded into the liner discussion above

      The Thorlo Light Hikers have proven durable over the test period
      despite what I consider above average use for a pair of my hiking
      socks. No snags, tears, broken elastic or permanent odors have
      appeared so far. As with any sock, they get stinky from prolonged
      wear, but washing takes care of this issue. Since the washing
      instructions include directions to use fabric soften on the socks, I
      think this helps keep any permanent stink at bay with these socks.

      EDIT: Fabric softener. Do you mean the instructions say to use
      fabric softener when washing the socks, or do the instructions say how
      to use fabric softeners when washing the socks?

      One last test item that I finally got to check on was how well the
      Thorlo Light Hikers air dry. If wet from washing or puddle hopping the
      Light Hikers can be wrung out by hand and they get almost dry over
      night. The "almost" dry is not a problem for me since I have never
      owned a pair of hiking socks that dry completely overnight. The
      important part is that they are dry enough to wear in the morning with
      liner socks without irritating my feet.
      EDIT: What were the conditions when you did the air dry test(s)?

      <snip>