Application-Silva Digital Base Plate Compass-Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hello Thomas,

      I submit an application for the Silva Digital Base Plate Compass for your
      consideration.

      Cheers

      Ralph Ditton

      Date: 30th September, 2006

      Survival Guide.

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival

      Guide (version v. 0609 ), all of the appendices and Chapter 5. I agree

      to comply with all these requirements as a tester. I have also signed a

      tester agreement which is on file with Shane Steinkamp dated 7th March,

      2005 and has been acknowledged by Stephanie Martin on the 27th April, 2005.

      I have graduated from being a Newbie in January 2006.

      Carrying out multiple test reports has not been a problem as I usually

      am testing four items at any one time. All of my reports have been

      submitted on time.

      Personal Details

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 55

      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 77 kg (170 lb)

      Email: rdassetts@optusnet dot com dot au

      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background

      I have been walking the Bibbulmun Track over five years and the Coastal

      Plain Trail. My goal is to complete the 964 km (603 mi) Bibbulmun Track

      and become an End to End walker. I am nearly there.

      I have evolved from being a heavyweight backpacker of approximately 28

      kg (62 lb) including all my water and food to a mid- weight backpacker

      averaging 18 kg (40 lb). I am still trying to get lighter with better

      equipment. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.

      Testing Locations

      Bibbulmun Track : Sea level to 585 metres elevation (0 to 1,920 ft).

      Within this region I backpack along old forestry roads, sandy tracks,

      and purpose built walking tracks.

      Temperatures will range during the testing period, from a minimum 3 C to

      38 C (37 F to 100 F) during October to January, 2007. Overnight

      temperatures on average during spring and summer range from 3 C to 25 C

      (37 F to 77 F).

      Prickly Bark campsite on the Coastal Plain Trail is roughly 80 m (262

      ft) elevation. The trail from the eastern terminus to the campsite is a

      sandy track that is mostly flat with a steep climb up a sand dune over

      the last half a kilometre (0.31 mi) to the campsite.

      Temperatures can range from 2 C to 40 C (35 F to 104 F) during October

      to January of 2007. Overnight temperatures on average during spring and

      summer range from 2 C to 30 C (35 F to 86 F).

      I will be venturing into the Avon Valley for off track geocaching and

      camping. Actual details still to be worked out as to exact location, but

      it will be in October/November.

      It is predicted by the Weather Bureau that the weather will be the

      wettest spring and summer on record following the driest winter on

      record. Our weather pattern is changing.

      Snow does not occur in the areas that I hike, just heavy frost with fog.

      The areas that I hike in have kangaroo ticks, huntsmen spiders and

      various species of snakes.

      Testing Activities

      I will be going on overnighters and extended trips ranging from two to

      five days backpacking, sometimes walking solo and/or with one or two

      friends.

      I will be undertaking day geocaching trips using my GPS in conjunction

      with a paper map and backup oil filled compass.

      I will be camping out between eight to twelve days and nights between

      October and January 2007. There will be five days and four nights in

      October in the dept of our spring. The month of November has been

      allocated three nights and four days, and in January I want to do at

      least three days and two nights. Nothing is planned for December as I

      work seven days a week up to Christmas Eve. I may grab an overnighter

      between Christmas and New Years Day.

      Testing Conditions

      It is now the beginning of our spring. In September/October the

      overnight temperature in the field regularly ranges from 3 C to 12 C (37

      F to 54 F) and the day time temperatures can reach a maximum of 29 C (84

      F). Day time temperatures have in the last week been consistently in the

      high teens to low 20's (62 F to 68 F+). UV ratings have been at the

      medium range of 6.

      Spring is traditionally the start of our moderately dry season but this

      year it is expected to be very wet. The average night time minimum over

      the summer months in the field is around 15 C (59F). Day time maximum

      average temperatures for October and November usually reach an average

      range of between 17 C to 33 C (63 F to 91). Day time maximum average

      temperatures for December/January range between 26 C to 34 C (78 F to 93 F).

      Testing Intent

      I have been doing a lot of off track bush bashing whilst geocaching. I

      go from cache to cache many kilometers (miles) apart through the scrub

      on foot. I have to rely on my GPS for the "go to" and my paper map to

      keep checking features to make sure that I am where I should be.

      When not using the GPS, I use my Silva Voyager compass which is equipped

      with an inclination scale for determination of vertical angles. The map

      case hangs around my neck for easy access to refer to.

      I do not blindly follow a straight path to a distant object due to

      obstacles in the way. I have to deviate around them, sometimes in dense

      scrub and lose sight of the target of the bearing.

      I would love to test the Digital Base Plate Compass in this environment.

      Test Plan

      * Can I change the data from imperial to metric?

      * I notice on the photo of the compass that the leading edge is

      scaled in miles, is there a metric version? I admit to rarely

      using this feature on my compass, so it is not critical. Our maps

      are all metric.

      * Will the digital compass work anywhere in the world? Some manual

      compass needles are weighted at one end to remain horizontal for

      the hemisphere or zone that it was intended for. In other words,

      have the manufacturers created a variation in the digital compass

      to reflect the Northern hemisphere as opposed to my Southern

      hemisphere settings? I would test the digital compass against my

      compass.

      * Is the electronic compass reliant to forward movement for it to

      function accurately?

      * What happens if I stop to take a sighting with the digital compass?

      * Is the back light effective enough for me to read the display at

      night?

      * Can I read the display in strong sunlight?

      * Will the unit suffer from condensation/moisture getting into it?

      * Are there a set of operating instructions which come with the item

      that show clear and easy to follow instructions or is the web site

      the only source?

      * To recalibrate the compass, does it normally take two rotations of

      approximately 10 seconds in a clockwise direction or will I have

      to repeat it a number of times to get the "speed of rotation" correct?

      * How often will I have to recalibrate the compass?

      * For what reasons will I have to recalibrate the compass?

      * Will I always be alerted to the presence of electrical or magnetic

      interference by a WARN display? I would test this around

      electrical motors and known magnetic rocks in areas that I walk.

      * Does the compass automatically turn off if not used for a while?

      * How long do the batteries last?

      * Is it possible to accidentally bump the control buttons and alter

      the display information without realising it?

      * Will the compass live happily in a plastic map case hung around my

      neck whilst switched on?

      I will report on any other aspect that may come to light during the test

      that was unforeseen by me.

      Thank you Silva and BGT for the opportunity to apply for this product.

      My owner reviews and test series are listed below.

      OWNER REVIEWS

      Mountain Designs Tasman GTX Mens Hiking Boots

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Mountain%20Designs%20
      Tasman%20GTX%20boots/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton/

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/o7yzj

      Trangia Billygrips or Pot Lifters

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Utensils/Trangia%20Billy
      %20Grips%20or%20Pot%20Lifters/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/c579c <http://tinyurl.com/c579c>

      Back Country Cuisine

      Freeze Dri Packaged Meals

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Packaged%20Meals/Back%20Country
      %20Cuisine/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/bvdla

      Caribee Thirst Pak

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/Caribee
      %20Thirst%20Pak/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/8by5h

      Metzeler Thermo Mat

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Matt
      resses/Metzeler%20Thermo%20Mat/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/9k4bm

      Sea to Summit

      The Kitchen Sink

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Sinks/Sea%20to%20
      Summit%20The%20Kitchen%20Sink/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/aclsr

      Snowgum Storm Shelter 2 Tent

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Snowgum%20Storm%20She
      lter%202%20Tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/ajvjj

      Sea to Summit

      Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20L
      iners/Sea%20to%20Summit%20Thermolite%20Reactor%20Liner/Owner%20Review%20by%2
      0Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/c5bu8

      TEST COMPLETED

      Vargo Titanium 'Jet-ti' stove

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Vargo%20Titanium%
      20Jet-ti%20stove/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Seattle Sports LedHedz Cruiser 10

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Flashlights%20-%20LED/Seatt
      le%20Sportz%20LEDHedz/Ralph%20Ditton

      Spyderco Vagabond Knife

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Fixed%20Blade/Spyderco%20Vaga
      bond/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping Bag

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Snugpak
      %20Softie%20Chrysalis/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Thorlos Men's Light Hiker CoolMax Protection Level 2 Socks

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/Thorlo%20Level%202%2
      0Coolmax%20Trail%20Runner/Ralph%20Ditton/>http://www.backpackgeartest.org/re
      views/Clothing/Socks/Thorlo%20Level%202%20Coolmax%20Trail%20Runner/Ralph%20D
      itton/

      Big Sky Products Summit Evolution 1P Shelter

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Sky%20Products%
      20Summit%20Evolution%201P/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Princet
      on%20Tec%20Apex/Ralph%20Ditton/

      FlexAir Pillows

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Accessories/FlexAir%20T
      ravel%20Pillow/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Sea%20To%20
      Summit%20Ultra-Sil%20Dry%20Sack/Ralph%20Ditton/

      CURRENTLY TESTING

      Hilleberg Rajd Shelter

      Initial Report: 30th August, 2006

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Hillebe
      rg%20Rajd/Ralph%20Ditton/Initial%20Report

      Mentor Programme

      I am a mentor for two aspiring gear testers in the Mentor Programme.

      Monitor.

      I am currently awaiting a new allocation of duties.

    • Ralph Ditton

        Date: 30th September, 2006

        Survival Guide.

        Tiny URL. <http://tinyurl.com/o7yzj> http://tinyurl.com/o7yzj