Application-Silva Versatile Outdoor Computer-Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hello Jason,

      I submit my application for the Silva Versatile Outdoor Computer for your
      consideration.

      Should I be a lucky tester, could I put a request in for the black colour. I
      realise that there is no guarantee of colour.

      Cheers

      Ralph Ditton

      Date: 30th September, 2006

      Survival Guide.

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival

      Guide (version v. 0609 ), all of the appendices and Chapter 5. I agree

      to comply with all these requirements as a tester. I have also signed a

      tester agreement which is on file with Shane Steinkamp dated 7th March,

      2005 and has been acknowledged by Stephanie Martin on the 27th April, 2005.

      I have graduated from being a Newbie in January 2006.

      Carrying out multiple test reports has not been a problem as I usually

      am testing four items at any one time. All of my reports have been

      submitted on time.

      Personal Details

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 55

      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 77 kg (170 lb)

      Email: rdassetts@optusnet dot com dot au

      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background

      I have been walking the Bibbulmun Track over five years and the Coastal

      Plain Trail. My goal is to complete the 964 km (603 mi) Bibbulmun Track

      and become an End to End walker. I am nearly there.

      I have evolved from being a heavyweight backpacker of approximately 28

      kg (62 lb) including all my water and food to a mid- weight backpacker

      averaging 18 kg (40 lb). I am still trying to get lighter with better

      equipment. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.

      Testing Locations

      Bibbulmun Track : Sea level to 585 metres elevation (0 to 1,920 ft).

      Within this region I backpack along old forestry roads, sandy tracks,

      and purpose built walking tracks.

      Temperatures will range during the testing period, from a minimum 3 C to

      38 C (37 F to 100 F) during October to January, 2007. Overnight

      temperatures on average during spring and summer range from 3 C to 25 C

      (37 F to 77 F).

      Prickly Bark campsite on the Coastal Plain Trail is roughly 80 m (262

      ft) elevation. The trail from the eastern terminus to the campsite is a

      sandy track that is mostly flat with a steep climb up a sand dune over

      the last half a kilometre (0.31 mi) to the campsite.

      Temperatures can range from 2 C to 40 C (35 F to 104 F) during October

      to January of 2007. Overnight temperatures on average during spring and

      summer range from 2 C to 30 C (35 F to 86 F).

      I will be venturing into the Avon Valley for off track geocaching and

      camping. Actual details still to be worked out as to exact location, but

      it will be in October/November.

      It is predicted by the Weather Bureau that the weather will be the

      wettest spring and summer on record following the driest winter on

      record. Our weather pattern is changing.

      Snow does not occur in the areas that I hike, just heavy frost with fog.

      The areas that I hike in have kangaroo ticks, huntsmen spiders and

      various species of snakes.

      Testing Activities

      I will be going on overnighters and extended trips ranging from two to

      five days backpacking, sometimes walking solo and/or with one or two

      friends.

      I will be camping out between eight to twelve days and nights between

      October and January 2007. There will be five days and four nights in

      October in the dept of our spring. The month of November has been

      allocated three nights and four days, and in January I want to do at

      least three days and two nights. Nothing is planned for December as I

      work seven days a week up to Christmas Eve. I may grab an overnighter

      between Christmas and New Years Day.

      Testing Conditions

      It is now the beginning of our spring. In September/October the

      overnight temperature in the field regularly ranges from 3 C to 12 C (37

      F to 54 F) and the day time temperatures can reach a maximum of 29 C (84

      F). Day time temperatures have in the last week been consistently in the

      high teens to low 20's (62 F to 68 F+). UV ratings have been at the

      medium range of 6.

      Spring is traditionally the start of our moderately dry season but this

      year it is expected to be very wet. The average night time minimum over

      the summer months in the field is around 15 C (59F). Day time maximum

      average temperatures for October and November usually reach an average

      range of between 17 C to 33 C (63 F to 91). Day time maximum average

      temperatures for December/January range between 26 C to 34 C (78 F to 93 F).

      Testing Intent

      Altitude is not a major concern for the areas that I hike in as we do

      not have high altitude and not everyone has the Himalayas in their back

      yard. The highest altitude is 585 metres (1,920 ft).

      I am much more interested in the temperature, barometer, digital compass

      and programmable routes. I go off track when geocaching out in the bush

      and walk many kilometres (miles) in virgin bush following a compass

      bearing going from cache to cache.

      The stopwatch and lap time measurer are features that are nice but in

      reality I can not see any benefit for backpacking.

      Test Plan

      I am used to my Garmin GPS that has four function buttons and the

      outdoor computer also has four function buttons, so I should have no

      difficulty in operating the function buttons after a bit of practice.

      * The outdoor computer is allegedly water resistant to 10 m (30 ft).

      I am more interested to see if condensation from rain or air heavy

      with moisture, enters the item and that condensation collects on

      the inside of the transparent material that I read the detail

      through making it impossible to read the details.

      * As I do not own a watch, I rely on my mobile phone. It would be

      nice to have a unit that is multifunctional and I can read the

      time and leave my mobile at home as it is usually out of range anyway.

      * What will the comfort and fit be like on my hairy wrist? Will

      there be a tendency of the band to catch my hairs on my wrist?

      * The altimeter would be used in the capacity to measure the height

      of my test area for gear that I am testing for accuracy. Not a

      critical aspect of the unit in my part of the world. I would

      compare readings between my GPS and the unit to see if there is

      any difference and if so, by how much.

      * Barometer mode would be the most useful function. When bushwalking

      off track I would relish the facility to know what conditions I am

      likely to face. I would like to compare actual conditions to what

      was foreseen by the unit and see how accurate it was.

      * The compass would have to be the jewel in the crown. This facility

      would be used very heavily. I rely on my GPS electronic compass in

      conjunction with a paper map for safety reasons. I would like to

      test the accuracy of the units compass with my GPS and in

      correlation to my paper maps. Will it be an inconvenience to

      always remove the case from the wrist band and place it on a flat

      surface to ensure that the compass works to its best ability? How

      much is it out if I take a reading whilst on my wrist?

      * Will the rotation of the compass taking about 72 seconds to

      re-calibrate always be successful on the first try? I find that I

      have to do this a few times with my GPS after changing to

      fresh batteries.

      * The log book function is an exciting aspect. Can I really set up a

      cumulative log of say temperatures and barometric pressures so

      that I have a record for when I am testing gear. I would

      appreciate an accurate source for my reports. I would verify the

      readings to the records kept by the Bureau of Meteorology.

      * The manufactures states that I can reprogramme the compass needle

      to point to a chosen route. I would love to test this facility as

      a "go to" for my geocaching and provide feedback as to the

      success or otherwise. Does the unit give a countdown of distance

      to object?

      * The manufacturer states that the life of the 3 volt Lithium

      battery type CR 2032 is about 18 months. This would be way over

      the test period. With heavy use during the test period would I

      flatten the battery within the 4 months?

      * How easy is it to read the information with the blue back light?

      * Will I need glasses to read the numerals?

      * Does glare affect trying to read the display?

      * Do I have the ability to switch between metric and imperial

      measurements or will I require a metric programmed unit?

      * What will the wear and tear be like on the unit in the bush?

      Electronic devices usually do not like the environment of being

      brushed against prickly shrubs and grass trees when forcing a path.

      * How bulky is the unit? Can I wear my long sleeved hiking shirts so

      that the cuffs will cover the unit?

      * Are the function buttons able to be accidentally bumped and thereby

      have the modes changed?

      I will report on any other aspect that may come up during the test period.

      Thank you Silva and BGT for the opportunity to apply for this unit.

      My owner reviews and test series are listed below.

      OWNER REVIEWS

      Mountain Designs Tasman GTX Mens Hiking Boots

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Mountain%20Designs%20
      Tasman%20GTX%20boots/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton/

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/o7yzj

      Trangia Billygrips or Pot Lifters

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Utensils/Trangia%20Billy
      %20Grips%20or%20Pot%20Lifters/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/c579c <http://tinyurl.com/c579c>

      Back Country Cuisine

      Freeze Dri Packaged Meals

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Packaged%20Meals/Back%20Country
      %20Cuisine/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/bvdla

      Caribee Thirst Pak

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/Caribee
      %20Thirst%20Pak/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/8by5h

      Metzeler Thermo Mat

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Matt
      resses/Metzeler%20Thermo%20Mat/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/9k4bm

      Sea to Summit

      The Kitchen Sink

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Sinks/Sea%20to%20
      Summit%20The%20Kitchen%20Sink/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/aclsr

      Snowgum Storm Shelter 2 Tent

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Snowgum%20Storm%20She
      lter%202%20Tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/ajvjj

      Sea to Summit

      Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20L
      iners/Sea%20to%20Summit%20Thermolite%20Reactor%20Liner/Owner%20Review%20by%2
      0Ralph%20Ditton

      Tiny URL. http://tinyurl.com/c5bu8

      TEST COMPLETED

      Vargo Titanium 'Jet-ti' stove

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Vargo%20Titanium%
      20Jet-ti%20stove/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Seattle Sports LedHedz Cruiser 10

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Flashlights%20-%20LED/Seatt
      le%20Sportz%20LEDHedz/Ralph%20Ditton

      Spyderco Vagabond Knife

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Fixed%20Blade/Spyderco%20Vaga
      bond/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Micro Sleeping Bag

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Snugpak
      %20Softie%20Chrysalis/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Thorlos Men's Light Hiker CoolMax Protection Level 2 Socks

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/Thorlo%20Level%202%2
      0Coolmax%20Trail%20Runner/Ralph%20Ditton/>http://www.backpackgeartest.org/re
      views/Clothing/Socks/Thorlo%20Level%202%20Coolmax%20Trail%20Runner/Ralph%20D
      itton/

      Big Sky Products Summit Evolution 1P Shelter

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Sky%20Products%
      20Summit%20Evolution%201P/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Princeton Tec Apex LED Headlamp

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Princet
      on%20Tec%20Apex/Ralph%20Ditton/

      FlexAir Pillows

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Accessories/FlexAir%20T
      ravel%20Pillow/Ralph%20Ditton/

      Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Sea%20To%20
      Summit%20Ultra-Sil%20Dry%20Sack/Ralph%20Ditton/

      CURRENTLY TESTING

      Hilleberg Rajd Shelter

      Initial Report: 30th August, 2006

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Hillebe
      rg%20Rajd/Ralph%20Ditton/Initial%20Report

      Mentor Programme

      I am a mentor for two aspiring gear testers in the Mentor Programme.

      Monitor.

      I am currently awaiting a new allocation of duties.

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
        Hell Jason,

        I am resending my application as it appears that my first application has
        not reached its destination.