Anybody take a laptop while backpacking?

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
      Have you seen this?

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/article.php?story=20050426150036379

      http://www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/

      Want one?

      Good.

      BGT, in cooperation with DeLorme, is pleased to provide three GPS LT-20
      units for your testing pleasure.

      This one is going to be kind of tricky. Your test applicaiton should
      clearly indicate that you understand the product, and your test plan should
      reflect this understanding.

      You will be provided with the unit and the software. You will have to have
      a moble computer that meets the requirements. The newbie limit applies. US
      testers only.

      Shane
      DeLorme Moderator
    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
        Interesting - nowhere that I can see on those pages or the ones
        associated with them do they give system requirements. Did I miss a
        link?

        Anyway, my question was: will this work with a Mac OS X PC?

        On Apr 29, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

        > Have you seen this?
        >
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/article.php?
        > story=20050426150036379
        >
        > http://www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/
        >
        > Want one?
        >
        > Good.
        >
        > BGT, in cooperation with DeLorme, is pleased to provide three GPS LT-20
        > units for your testing pleasure.
      • Edward Ripley-Duggan
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
          Nor I. But it does appear to use USB, which rules out my superannuated
          laptop (card only).

          Neither does it explicitly mention if it works with Topoquads 2.0!

          The thought of carrying a laptop while backpacking fills me with horror.

          Ted.

          At 03:40 PM 4/29/05, you wrote:
          >Interesting - nowhere that I can see on those pages or the ones
          >associated with them do they give system requirements. Did I miss a
          >link?
          >
          >Anyway, my question was: will this work with a Mac OS X PC?
          >

          >On Apr 29, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Shane Steinkamp wrote:
          >
          > > Have you seen this?
          > >

          > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/article.php?>http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/article.php?
          >
          > > story=20050426150036379
          > >

          > <http://www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/>http://www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/
          > >
          > > Want one?
          > >
          > > Good.
          > >
          > > BGT, in cooperation with DeLorme, is pleased to provide three GPS LT-20
          > > units for your testing pleasure.

          > *
          > <mailto:backpackgeartesters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>backpackgeartesters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > *

          Reply to: erd@...
          WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
          http://www.wilsey.net
          Phone: (845) 657-7057 Fax: (845) 657-2366
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
            > Interesting - nowhere that I can see on those pages or the ones
            > associated with them do they give system requirements. Did I miss a
            > link?

            Nope. None listed...

            > Anyway, my question was: will this work with a Mac OS X PC?

            Nope. No Macs.

            Shane
          • Mike Lipay
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
              Get real. DeLorme hasn't supported the Mac since 7.5

              mike

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                Trogdolytes.

                ;)

                On Apr 29, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

                > Nope. No Macs.
              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                  > Trogdolytes.
                  >
                  > ;)

                  With only 7% of the notebook market...

                  :p

                  Shane
                • colonelcorn76
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Edward Ripley-Duggan
                    <erd@w...> wrote:
                    > Nor I. But it does appear to use USB, which rules out my
                    superannuated
                    > laptop (card only).
                    >
                    > Neither does it explicitly mention if it works with Topoquads 2.0!
                    >
                    > The thought of carrying a laptop while backpacking fills me with
                    horror.

                    > Ted.

                    Luddite ;-)

                    I've got a 2lb tablet PC that runs XP that would work with this
                    (Motion Computing 1400). I suspect it might also work with some of
                    HP/Compaq's handhelds. The iPaq 4700 has a USB port. In fact even
                    their cheaper 2xxx series have Bluetooth and there are Bluetooth USB
                    adapters available. Could easily set this up on Shane's cobbled
                    together GPS mounting, route the cord up the shoulder straps and
                    velcro the receiver to the top of the pack...heck, add one of those
                    solar chargers we were testing last year and you never have to return
                    to civilization.

                    Jim
                  • colonelcorn76
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                      <shane@t...> wrote:
                      > > Trogdolytes.
                      > >
                      > > ;)
                      >
                      > With only 7% of the notebook market...
                      >
                      > :p
                      >
                      > Shane

                      I showed my kids one in a museum once. They wanted to know why "click &
                      drag down " was more intuitive then just clicking and letting the menu
                      drop down.
                    • David
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                        Power is the problem though - the bluetooth adapter probably isn't
                        going power the gps antenna... and I doubt the handhelds would be
                        able to do so properly either, since the gps modules I looked at a
                        while back all required their own batteries (but that was 2 years ago!)

                        David

                        > Luddite ;-)
                        >
                        > I've got a 2lb tablet PC that runs XP that would work with this
                        > (Motion Computing 1400). I suspect it might also work with some of
                        > HP/Compaq's handhelds. The iPaq 4700 has a USB port. In fact even
                        > their cheaper 2xxx series have Bluetooth and there are Bluetooth USB
                        > adapters available. Could easily set this up on Shane's cobbled
                        > together GPS mounting, route the cord up the shoulder straps and
                        > velcro the receiver to the top of the pack...heck, add one of those
                        > solar chargers we were testing last year and you never have to return
                        > to civilization.
                        >
                        > Jim
                      • Thomas Vickers
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                          I have a laptop with USB and I geocache like mad.
                          This is going to be a sweet setup for sure.

                          Being an ex pizza delivery pilot, this makes me hot ;)

                          TV
                        • pamwyant
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                            Power would definitely be a problem. Even if we are willing to
                            carry an extra 2 lb. tablet pc, the computer battery is only going
                            to last a few hours if left on continually. I think my HP tablet
                            will run about 2 hours continually. And turning it off & re-booting
                            it every time you want to check the location would be a pain. It
                            would work well for getting to a trailhead though - probably just as
                            well as a map. :)

                            Pam

                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David"
                            <drunken_marmot@y...> wrote:
                            > Power is the problem though - the bluetooth adapter probably isn't
                            > going power the gps antenna... and I doubt the handhelds would be
                            > able to do so properly either, since the gps modules I looked at a
                            > while back all required their own batteries (but that was 2 years
                            ago!)

                            > David
                            >

                            > > Luddite ;-)
                            > >
                            > > I've got a 2lb tablet PC that runs XP that would work with this
                            > > (Motion Computing 1400). I suspect it might also work with some
                            of
                            > > HP/Compaq's handhelds. The iPaq 4700 has a USB port. In fact
                            even
                            > > their cheaper 2xxx series have Bluetooth and there are Bluetooth
                            USB
                            > > adapters available. Could easily set this up on Shane's cobbled
                            > > together GPS mounting, route the cord up the shoulder straps and
                            > > velcro the receiver to the top of the pack...heck, add one of
                            those
                            > > solar chargers we were testing last year and you never have to
                            return
                            > > to civilization.
                            > >
                            > > Jim
                          • Andrew Priest
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                              At 03:40 AM 30/04/2005, you wrote:
                              >Interesting - nowhere that I can see on those pages or the ones
                              >associated with them do they give system requirements. Did I miss a
                              >link?
                              >
                              >Anyway, my question was: will this work with a Mac OS X PC?

                              Why not ask them?

                              Andrew

                            • Andrew Priest
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                                At 04:11 AM 30/04/2005, you wrote:
                                >Trogdolytes.

                                I just don't understand why you would want a GPS to connect to a boat
                                anchor. >:-}

                                Andrew

                              • Andrew Priest
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 29, 2005
                                  At 07:05 AM 30/04/2005, you wrote:
                                  >I have a laptop with USB and I geocache like mad.
                                  >This is going to be a sweet setup for sure.
                                  >
                                  >Being an ex pizza delivery pilot, this makes me hot ;)

                                  LOL .... can you spin a backpacking pizza?

                                  Andrew

                                • hiking@westernpa.us
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 30, 2005
                                    > Power would definitely be a problem. Even if we are willing to
                                    > carry an extra 2 lb. tablet pc, the computer battery is only going
                                    > to last a few hours if left on continually. I think my HP tablet
                                    > will run about 2 hours continually. And turning it off & re-booting
                                    > it every time you want to check the location would be a pain. It
                                    > would work well for getting to a trailhead though - probably just as
                                    > well as a map. :)
                                    >
                                    > Pam

                                    When they first came out (GPS software for laptops) I did a review of
                                    DeLorme's Street Atlas (they actually supported Mac's back then) with the
                                    GPS module - I wasn't impressed. Part of the problem was with the GPS
                                    antenna they used - couldn't get a good lock inside a moving car, great
                                    when the car was stopped. Battery life was an issue (even though the Mac
                                    batteries lasted 3.5 - 4 hrs), even a modest vacation trip would take too
                                    long. I tried letting the laptop go to sleep and only using it when I
                                    reached intersections, but the GPS batteries would die (no on-off switch).
                                    In daylight the screen on the laptop would have to be turned all the way
                                    up to be able to see it, and even then it might not be enough.

                                    mike
                                  • Chuck Carnes
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 2 5:57 AM
                                      Shane,
                                      I will definatly be applying for this. The laptop I
                                      have will certainly handle this and I think I could
                                      really put it to work.

                                      --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Have you seen this?

                                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/News/article.php?story=20050426150036379

                                      > http://www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/
                                      >
                                      > Want one?
                                      >
                                      > Good.
                                      >
                                      > BGT, in cooperation with DeLorme, is pleased to
                                      > provide three GPS LT-20
                                      > units for your testing pleasure.
                                      >
                                      > This one is going to be kind of tricky. Your test
                                      > applicaiton should
                                      > clearly indicate that you understand the product,
                                      > and your test plan should
                                      > reflect this understanding.
                                      >
                                      > You will be provided with the unit and the software.
                                      > You will have to have
                                      > a moble computer that meets the requirements. The
                                      > newbie limit applies. US
                                      > testers only.
                                      >
                                      > Shane
                                      > DeLorme Moderator

                                      Chuck Carnes

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Chief Moderator
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 2 11:37 AM
                                        That's what I use mine for. And you've obviously never tried to find
                                        trailheads in southern Utah.....lol. Sometimes the *locals* get lost down
                                        there. There is about 8000 crisscrossing dirt roads and tracks, all of them
                                        40 to 69+ miles long. That's why I got mine.....

                                        Jerry

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 2 11:39 AM
                                          The GPS is powered off the USB plug. It locks very quickly and stays
                                          locked...period. I frequently let mine go to sleep....no problem. It locks
                                          immediately when I wake it up.

                                          I've also not had a screen brightness problem with my Toshiba in my van.

                                          Jerry

                                          > Power would definitely be a problem. Even if we are willing to
                                          > carry an extra 2 lb. tablet pc, the computer battery is only going
                                          > to last a few hours if left on continually. I think my HP tablet
                                          > will run about 2 hours continually. And turning it off & re-booting
                                          > it every time you want to check the location would be a pain. It
                                          > would work well for getting to a trailhead though - probably just as
                                          > well as a map. :)
                                          >
                                          > Pam

                                          When they first came out (GPS software for laptops) I did a review of
                                          DeLorme's Street Atlas (they actually supported Mac's back then) with the
                                          GPS module - I wasn't impressed. Part of the problem was with the GPS
                                          antenna they used - couldn't get a good lock inside a moving car, great
                                          when the car was stopped. Battery life was an issue (even though the Mac
                                          batteries lasted 3.5 - 4 hrs), even a modest vacation trip would take too
                                          long. I tried letting the laptop go to sleep and only using it when I
                                          reached intersections, but the GPS batteries would die (no on-off switch).
                                          In daylight the screen on the laptop would have to be turned all the way
                                          up to be able to see it, and even then it might not be enough.

                                          mike

                                          _____

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                        • pamwyant
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 2 7:17 PM
                                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"
                                            <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
                                            > That's what I use mine for. And you've obviously never tried to find
                                            > trailheads in southern Utah.....lol.

                                            Yep - you're right. Never tried to find a trailhead in Utah. lol.

                                            Never used a GPS either. I'm sure they have some great features that
                                            could be useful, and I've been thinking about getting one. Just
                                            trying to inject a little levity into the topic. :)

                                            Pam