INITIAL REPORT: Bite Xtension 2 Lynne Durham

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 26, 2005
      Here's the text version, please forgive any odd Yahoo breaks.
      Additionally, I've uploaded an HTML version to the test folder at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Lynne%20D
      urham%20Bite%20Xtension%202%20Initial%20Report/

      -or-

      http://tinyurl.com/d67qs

      Thank you!

      Lynne

      INITIAL REPORT Bite Xtension 2 Sandals

      Reviewed by: Lynne Durham
      Review date: April 23, 2005

      **********
      REVIEWER BIO
      **********
      Name: Lynne Durham
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight: 153 lb (69 kg)
      Age: 42
      Email: lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT com
      Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA
      Shoe size: Women's US 10

      **********
      BACKPACKING EXPERIENCE
      **********
      I am a backpacking novice -- my first trip was in 2002. I have hiked
      and car camped all of my life, mostly in the relative flatlands of the
      lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan, but also in areas east of the
      Continental Divide, such as South Dakota, New England, Kentucky,
      Florida, Ohio, Indiana, and more. In September, 2004 I did my first
      solo backpacking trip and in October, 2004 I did a single-day,
      rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon. So far, all of my camping
      and backpacking has been 3-season, but I plan to expand to winter
      camping. I keep my pack weight to 25% of bodyweight or less but I
      always bring optional or comfort items. My other outdoor experience
      includes trail running and snowshoeing; I am a paddling, climbing and
      adventure racing novice.

      **********
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      **********
      Item name: Bite Xtension 2 Sandals
      Manufacturer: Bite Footwear
      Manufacturer's Web site: http://www.biteshoes.com/
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      MSRP: USD79.99
      Manufacturer claimed weight: No weight claimed on Web site. I sent
      this question to the company via the "live service" link on the site.
      It was not live while I was there (several days ago), so I will call
      with question tomorrow and update this IR at that time.
      Actual weight as received: Right: 12.1 oz (343 g) Left: 12.2 oz (346
      g) Total: 24.3 oz (689 g), just a tad over 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg).
      Available sizes (per the Web site): US Women's 5-11 (whole sizes only)
      and US Men's 7-16.
      Manufactured in China of all man-made materials.

      ************
      INFORMATION FROM THE PACKAGE
      ************
      The shoes arrived in the Bite shoe box. There is a size conversion
      chart on the bottom of the box, which allows one to easily see that a
      US Women's 10 is equivalent to a UK Women's 7.5, a European Women's 41
      and a Japan/Korea Women's 265. There is a full-color label on one end
      of the box, showing the sandal in the packaged color (in this case,
      natural/navy/taupe). There is also a sticker touting the sandals'
      45-day comfort guarantee, an offer I find to be a generous guarantee.

      Claims and specifications from the outer packaging:

      UPPER
      - Xtension 2 pulley strapping system secures the foot to the midsole
      - Quick-drying lightweight Durahide upper
      - Dual buckle design provides a snug, adjustable fit
      - Forefoot straps hold foot securely around metatarsal heads

      OUTSOLE
      - Burst outsole with multidirectional grip (PICTURE HERE IN HTML
      VERSION)
      - Thin, responsive outsole for lively ground feel
      - Enerflow system transfers energy from heel to toe
      - Contoured phylon midsole cradles the foot for support
      - ATS heel pad for soft impact, forefoot Pe Launch Pad for lift
      - Medial post featuring Grey Matter to eliminate pronation
      - Motion control stabilizer & spring bar for exceptional foot control
      - Arch shank gives extra support and stability
      - Toe Guard protection for security

      Before the sandals arrived, I feared they would not fit. In some
      running shoes, I take a Women's 10.5 rather than a 10. When I open the
      box, the sandals are packaged in plastic. A small, loose cardboard,
      4-panel brochure is on top. The brochure contains information on the
      fit guarantee and important fit suggestions:

      - Wear for one hour on a carpteted surface first to be sure of the
      fit
      - Perform the fit test at the end of the day or after exercise, when
      feet are at their most swollen
      - Try the sandals on with any socks you may wear with them
      - Try on both sandals

      Since the sandals arrived two days after I completed a 50-mile (81 km)
      trail run, my feet were plenty swollen to perform the fit test. First
      I tried them on with barefeet (PICTURE HERE in HTML VERSION), then
      with relatively thin running socks (PICTURE HERE in HTML VERSION),
      then with midweight hiking socks (PICTURE HERE in HTML VERSION). In
      all cases, the sandals felt great. My daughter pointed out that they
      may even be too big. However, the manufacturer suggests bigger is
      better. Additionally, they suggest that you should have a thumbnail's
      width between the end of your toe and the tip of the shoe. (PICTURE
      HERE IN HTML VERSION) Using their system, I determine that the shoes
      are a good fit for me.

      In addition to this brochure, there is a hangtag connected to one of
      the sandals. This hang tag makes additional claims, including the
      claim that "Allowing your toes to grasp the footbed builds strength
      and increases indurance" (sic). On the inside of this hangtag there is
      a fabulous exploded-view graphic and text describing how each part of
      the outsole and insole work to give you "...the cushioning, stability,
      support and security of a running shoe...." The copy blocks are each
      numbered, unfortunately, the exploded view pieces are not
      correspondingly numbered or I would feel more confident in my
      description of the parts of the shoe.

      After reviewing the manufacturer's fit criteria and performing the
      suggested tests, I feel the shoes fit quite well. Now they are ready
      to see the outside world.

      *************
      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      *************
      Upon inspection of the Bite Xtension 2, the arch area looks a bit
      lower than I usually prefer. The gray midsole is firm, yet much more
      cushiony than I expect it to be. Pressing into it with my thumb is
      easy, but it feels firm and immediately returns to shape. Despite lack
      of explicit directions in the fit brochure, it is easy to figure out
      how to work the pulley system for fit. The Toe Guard juts up from the
      sole approximately 0.5 inch (1.27 cm). Will it be adequate toe
      protection on the trail?

      My first extended experience in the sandals is a full day at work
      (carpeted surface, not much walking), followed by a 3-mile (4.83 km)
      run on asphalt. My desire is to run without socks -- that's what
      initially attracts me to the sandals -- and so I attempt this run
      without socks. Overall, the run goes very well. The sandals are
      suprisingly comfortable. The shoes keep my foot stable laterally (side
      to side). The cushioning works well to absorb the shock of my
      feet hitting the road. Unfortunately, about 1.5 miles (2.42 km) in to
      the run, I develop a hot spot and by the time I return home, my heel
      is sporting a new blister.

      *************
      TEST PLAN: LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      *************
      I will use these sandals as my primary footwear for most outdoor
      activities. During the test period, I currently have several trips
      planned, including trips in Michigan, Kentucky, and Arizona. This
      means the sandals may be subjected to:
      - Rocky, rugged conditions
      - Well-maintained forest trails
      - Steep sand dunes
      - Smooth, well-worn sandstone
      - Wet, muddy trails
      - Creek/river crossings
      - Rain
      - Hot, humid conditions
      - Cool or even cold conditions

      Additionally, I plan to use the sandals -- in conjunction with other
      shoes -- during a 72-hour adventure race in June in Michigan. The
      sandal will most likely be used during canoeing, rafting and hiking
      sections of the race.

      *************
      TEST PLAN: ACTIVITIES
      *************
      This period will include at least 1 weekend backpacking trips along
      the North Country Trail, a long-weekend backpacking trip in the
      Mammoth Cave National Park area, a 4-5 day backpacking trip along
      Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and dozens of dayhikes.
      Additionally, the sandals will be tested during two adventure races,
      one a sprint race (8 hours) and one a multi-day race. The sandals will
      be used as trail runners, hikers and/or during water portions of the
      races. All trips will occur during the spring, summer and early fall.

      *************
      TEST PLAN: QUESTIONS
      *************
      As the test moves forward, I hope to address some specific issues:

      Fit:
      - Does the fit system allow the sandals to stay well-fitted through
      hours of use, or do the sandals require regular readjustment?

      Comfort:
      - Do these sandals provide adequate arch support for backpacking?
      Dayhiking? Trail running?
      - Will wearing socks while I run prevent the appearance of blisters?
      Will simply taping or putting moleskin on my heel allow me to run in
      the sandals without socks? Can adjusting the sandals differently help
      prevent blisters, yet keep the sandals properly sized?
      - Are the sandals comfortable enough to run in for hours at a time?
      - Is the cushioning adequate for long-distance needs?
      - How comfortable is the shoe when wet? Does dampness increase the
      possibility of hot spots?

      Performance:
      - Can I get these sandals on and off quickly?
      - Does the Toe Guard adequately protect the toes?
      - How does the sandal perform in sand dunes? It seems like the open
      design would allow the sand to sift out easily...does this help me
      avoid the black toenails I inevitably experience when hiking or
      running in sand?
      - Does the Burst outsole adequately grip a variety of surfaces as
      claimed? Does it offer better performance on one terrain versus
      another?
      - Is the open design a hindrance -- does too much trail debris get
      under the foot? Or does it allow trail debris to slip out as easily
      as it slips in?
      - How does the sandal handle perspiration? Is the airflow such that
      perspiration dries very quickly? Or will it feel like a slimy mess?
      - Do the Motion Control Stabilizer and Spring Bar provide adequate
      lateral (side-to-side) stability on a variety of trail surfaces?

      Durability:
      - Can the sandals withstand extended, single-event use? (For example,
      a 3-day race) Or do they become compressed when subjected to such
      constant pressure?
      - Can the sandals withstand the extensive mileage I put on my shoes?

      **********
      BENEFITS (so far)
      **********
      - Easy to fit with the pulley system, very adjustable
      - 45-day comfort guarantee
      - Well cushioned, comfortable
      - Stable

      **********
      LIMITATIONS (so far)
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 27, 2005
        I know Stephanie is working this... but just for the record, I have not
        yet received the Bite Xtension 2 sandals.

        JET
        (James E. Triplett)

      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2005
          Thanks Stephanie for working this... The Bite Xtension 2 sandals were
          shipped next-day-air and received yesterday - 4/27/05. Pretty cool
          treads! IR to follow hopefully over the weekend as I will be in
          Salisbury, MD on business next week.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2005
            Hi! I rushed this one a bit as I was much later receiving the sandals
            than the other testers. Hopefully it is still compliant. I will be OOP
            most of next week but will retrieve e-mail in the evenings to look for
            edits.

            Here is the link to the file in the test folder, followed by the text
            version. Tables look better in the uploaded version... and there are
            pictures in that copy too!

            Jet

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/BITE%20intitial%20report%20-%20JET/

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Initial Test Report:

            Bite Xtension 2
            Running Sandal

            by James E. Triplett

            Personal Biographical Information:
            Name: James E. Triplett
            Age: 45
            Gender: Male
            Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
            Weight: 188 lb (85.3 kg)
            Foot size: 12 US (as measured on a Brannock device)
            Email address: james_triplett@...
            City, State: Cedar Rapids, Iowa - USA
            Date: May 2, 2005

            Backpacking Background:

            I was brought up exploring the woods, primarily West of the Mississippi
            from Missouri to as far North as Hudson Bay, and have a heavily ingrained
            appreciation for nature. In college my recreation consisted of hiking to
            bouldering areas and rock climbing on the bluffs and trails in Southern
            Illinois, which ultimately led to continuously hiking the lower 1/3 of the
            Appalachian Trail. I hike every day, and backpack when possible. I am a
            mid-weight backpacker, experienced hiker and camper, and have had some
            exposure to longer hikes of 50 to 500 miles (80 to 800 km). I prefer a
            tent over a tarp, in fact I love tents, but have not yet tried a hammock.

            Manufacturer Information:
            Manufacturer: Bite Footwear - Redmond, Washington
            Phone: 800-248-3465

            Product Information:
            Item being tested: Bite Xtension 2 Running Sandal
            Year of Manufacture: New for March 2005
            Date Item Received: April 27, 2005
            Model / Color: 5005c - Taupe / Natural / Yellow
            MSRP: $79.99 US
            Listed weight: None given
            Actual weight: Left =16.1 oz (456 g), Right =16.0 oz (454 g)

            Available US sizes (whole sizes only):
            * Mens 7 - 16
            * Womens 5 - 11

            Available colors:
            * Mens:
            o 5005a - Wheat / Almond
            o 5005b - Taupe / Natural / Red
            o 5005c - Taupe / Natural / Yellow (this test)
            * Womens:
            o 5005a - Wheat / Almond
            o 5005b - Taupe / Natural / Ruby
            o 5005c - Natural / Navy / Teal

            The following information is from the biteshoes website:

            Bite Xtension 2 Information:
            Upper
            - Xtension 2 pulley strapping system secures the foot to the midsole
            - Quick-drying lightweight Durahide upper
            - Dual buckle design provides a snug, adjustable fit
            - Forefoot straps hold foot securely around metatarsal heads

            Outsole
            - Burst outsole with multidirectional grip
            - Thin, responsive outsole for lively ground feel
            - Enerflow system transfers energy from heel to toe
            - Contoured Phylon midsole cradles the foot for support
            - ATS heel pad for soft impact and forefoot Pe Launch Pad for life
            - Medial post featuring Grey Matter to eliminate pronation
            - Motion Control Stabilizer and Spring Bar for exceptional foot
            control
            - Arch shank gives extra support and stability
            - Toe Guard protection for security

            Bite's Xtension 2 Description:
            Durahide Running sandal. Strengthens feet through increased muscle use.
            Dual density posted midsole, extra cushioning, arch support, and exclusive
            forefoot spring bar.

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Review:

            Opening Remarks:
            I have been hiking for years and gone from triple-leather heavy weight
            Vasque boots, to lighter Merrill and Dunham boots, to New Balance and
            Merrill trail runners. The next logical step in this evolution toward
            lighter footwear is the sandal. I have used sandals for light
            recreational use, from flip-flops for the beach, to heavily strapped
            "sport sandals" for wearing to the volleyball pits or as "camp shoes", but
            nothing serious enough to actually hike or run in. The Bite Xtension 2
            sandals look like they fill that niche.

            First Look:
            Included literature: The Bite Xtension 2 sandals arrived with a small
            six-page informational hang-tag, a registration card which also includes
            information on checking for a proper fit, and a full product line catalog.
            The hang tag includes the general Bite philosophy, as well as information
            on the Enerflow Outsole unit (which is a subset of the "Burst outsole with
            multidirectional grip") and the proprietary specialized pulley system. The
            catalog repeats much of this information with a little more clarity. The
            Fit Test information, attached to the registration card, recommends
            testing the "shoes" for at least an hour, at the end of the day, and to
            check for comfort, heel and toe alignment, strap tension, and arch
            alignment. It goes on to say that "a shoe that has a more generous fit is
            better than one that fits tightly." Some of the information here is
            separated out in different sections for shoes and for sandals.

            The Xtension 2 style: The Xtension 2's look great! I am happy with the
            color I chose as the yellow highlights have a nice, but not too radical,
            contrast with the more natural prominent colors of the rest of the sandal
            materials. The sandals are different in only one respect from what I
            viewed on the Bite website, and that is that the sole or tread in the
            picture on the website has a big black X with a dark BITE emblem in the
            middle. The sandals I received have a big yellow X on the bottom with a
            bright yellow BITE emblem in the middle. This is fine with me, as the
            yellow looks intense, but it doesn't match the website. All workmanship
            looks exceptional. There is a little visible glue where some of the
            layers of the Enerflow system components are laminated together, but
            overall I am satisfied that there are no defects in the sandals. The
            Xtension 2 soles are substantial, stiffer than other sandals I have owned,
            and the webbing strap system looks sturdy and more than adequate. From
            holding the sandals and examining them closely, there is every indication
            that these are a premium product.

            The Xtension 2 features: As described in the Bite features list above,
            there are a lot of components in the Xtension 2 sandals. The Durahide
            uppers consist of straps and elastic which go over the toes, around the
            ankles, and down to the soles at the front foot pad, the arches, and rear
            heel of my feet. The front-most portion of the uppers is wide and
            stretchy and is of a fixed dimension. However, the mid-section strap has
            tensioning capability and pulls on the metal O-ring which the stretchy
            material is attached to. This mid-section strap runs down through the
            "pulley system" just behind the arch, and then up again and wraps behind
            the heels. There is a locking clip-together buckle on the inside portion
            of the strap, above the heels and behind the ankles. So by pulling on the
            straps at my heels I can apply tension to the elastic over my toes. This
            is probably made clearer by simply looking at the picture below. The
            other strap is less complex, and easier to explain, as it simply runs
            across the top of my feet and attaches to the sole on both sides near my
            heels. This strap has a different style (non-locking) clip-together
            friction buckle on the outside of the sandals and the loose end of the
            strap can be secured with Velcro.

            The Burst outsoles are nearly as complex in their makeup as the uppers,
            but they don't have any moving parts and some of the components are not
            visible as they are buried inside the laminated layers. To clarify the
            naming convention, the outsoles are called the "Burst outsole" and they
            contain the "Enerflow system" which consists of different materials at
            different locations to transfer energy during waking or running. The
            components as described by Bite are as follows:

            1. Upon landing, the heel impact is absorbed by the ATS Shock Pad (1)
            [hidden] and Phylon Midsole (2).
            2. As the foot strides forward, the Enerflow system promotes the foot's
            natural gait to the lateral side by using firmer density Grey Matter (3)
            at the arch area and soft lateral Release Line (4) on the outsole. To
            maintain control, the foot is stabilized by the Motion Control Stabilizer
            (5).
            3. Promoting a dynamic step push-off, we designed a specialized Spring
            Bar (6) to ensure proper forefoot flexibility and roll (no slapping), and
            the PE Launch Pad (7) [hidden] for energetic acceleration.
            4. To protect the feet, and particularly toes, we utilize our patent
            pending Toe Guard (8), and a Sculpted Phylon midsole with high sidewalls.
            5. For traction and confidence, we designed the durable Burst outsole
            (9) with multidirectional grip on any surface.

            (Note 1: These bullets are numbered 1 - 6 on the hang tag and in the
            catalog; however there is no number 4 in Bite's list.)
            (Note 2: The descriptions above are from Bite, the picture below is
            mine.)

            First Fit:
            I was a little concerned about getting size 12 (US) sandals through the
            mail without trying them on. Despite being slightly above my ideal body
            weight, I have rather long, thin feet, and have often tried on sandals
            which were the proper length only to find out that there is no way I could
            ever get them tight enough. So I unbuckled one of the Bites and slipped
            my naked foot inside. There are two buckles and two tensioning points,
            and I quickly and easily had the Xtension 2 tightened down rather nicely.
            I put on the other sandal and it fit quite nicely as well. The fit check
            instructions ask that you wear the sandals for an hour and then check for
            fit, but I ignored this and inspected the fit immediately. The
            instructions say specifically to see if "your toes and heel are lined up
            with the fitting line on the topsole", and that "your arch matches the
            topsole arch line". Success! If anything the size 12 (US) sandals are
            just a scoosh big, but as mentioned earlier it is better that they be too
            big than too small. Generally, I think they feel like a proper fit. I
            also believe they fit as intended with a little more sole around the
            perimeter of my foot than I am accustomed to.

            Test Plan:
            My plan is to ease in to using the Bite Xtension 2 sandals. I have strong
            ankles but questionable arches, as I was once diagnosed with planter
            fasciatus, meaning I had inflamed the tough, fibrous band of tissue
            (fascia) connecting my heel bone to the base of my toes. At any rate,
            that hasn't been a problem for a while, but I will use the Bite sandals
            with caution at first in order to not aggravate this condition. My
            testing opportunities will include conditions of dirt and grass trails,
            pavement, gravel, and most likely mud and water. I will monitor the
            sandals for fit and comfort, stability, wear and durability. I am also
            curious as to how much dirt the treads will hold and how easily the Bites
            are cleaned. I plan to spend a lot of time in the Xtension 2 sandals, and
            hopefully my feet will cooperate and these will become my outdoor footwear
            of choice throughout the testing period. Temperatures and precipitation
            data for Cedar Rapids, Iowa during the test period time frame is contained
            in the table below.
            Month
            Temp range F
            Temp range C
            Precipitation inches
            precipitation cm

            May
            50 to 73 F
            10 to 23 C
            4.2"
            10.7 cm
            June
            60 to 82 F
            16 to 28 C
            4.6"
            11.7 cm
            July
            64 to 85 F
            18 to 29 C
            4.2"
            10.7 cm
            August
            62 to 83 F
            17 to 28 C
            4.5"
            11.4 cm
            September
            53 to 75 F
            12 to 24 C
            3.5"
            8.9 cm
            October
            41 to 64 F
            5 to 18 C
            2.4"
            6.1 cm
            November
            29 to 46 F
            -2 to 8 C
            2.4"
            6.1 cm

            esthetically pleasing, appear to be well made, and seem to fit quite well.
            The uppers are complex and yet simple to use. The outsoles are also
            complex, but obviously don't require any thought process at all to use.
            The outsoles are stiffer than I envisioned, and the toe guards are unique
            (and hopefully functional) without being too strange looking. I am really
            excited about this product and can't wait to spend more time in the Bite
            Xtension 2's.

            Respectfully submitted,

            -James T.

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
              Official Edit

              Hi Lynne, I squeezed this edit in today. I only found one edit.
              You will be adding the manufacturers weight "if" the email you sent
              is answered. If not then just list it as N/A.

              I also think your pictures could stand to be a little bit bigger.
              Especially the one of the soles. The ones with your feet are more
              clear as to what they are. The one of the sole looks more like
              kilography (sp?).

              Overall, I found your report to be excelent...with the all the
              jogging, Adventure Racing, and backpacking you do.

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Lynne"
              <lynnedurham@g...> wrote:

              > Here's the text version, please forgive any odd Yahoo breaks.
              > Additionally, I've uploaded an HTML version to the test folder at:
              >
              > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Lynne%20D
              > urham%20Bite%20Xtension%202%20Initial%20Report/
              >
              > -or-
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/d67qs
              >
              > Thank you!
              >
              > Lynne
              >
              > INITIAL REPORT Bite Xtension 2 Sandals
              >

              > *************
              > TEST PLAN: ACTIVITIES
              > *************
              > This period will include at least 1 weekend backpacking trips along
              > the North Country Trail, a long-weekend backpacking trip in the
              > Mammoth Cave National Park area, a 4-5 day backpacking trip along
              > Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and dozens of dayhikes.

              Edit: first trips should be singular.
            • Lynne Durham
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                Thank you for the kind words, Coy. I'll take care of the issues and
                get this uploaded before the weekend is over.

                Lynne

                --
                Lynne Durham
                Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                  Lynne - Now that I've posted my report I have read yours. I have a
                  couple of comments. First, you mentioned the thumbnail measurement
                  for size... but that is actually for SHOES. There is a nother section
                  on the hang tag for sandals. Speaking of shoes, you call the sandals
                  "shoes" throughout your report. Might want to change this. Also, I
                  think it was in your report, where you mention the exploded view of
                  the sandals not having numbers to correspond to the descriptions. The
                  catalog has the same picture... and the numbers are included there.

                  Otherwise, excellent job! Looks like we have a great team for this
                  test! (Not to mention great monitor!)

                  Happy Hiking!

                  Jet

                  wrote:

                  > Here's the text version, please forgive any odd Yahoo breaks.
                  > Additionally, I've uploaded an HTML version to the test folder at:
                  >
                  > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Lynne%20D
                  > urham%20Bite%20Xtension%202%20Initial%20Report/
                  >
                  > -or-
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/d67qs
                  >
                  > Thank you!
                  >
                  > Lynne

                • Lynne Durham
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                    Jet, thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to address them when I make
                    Coy's changes.

                    But what catalog? (I haven't read your report yet, so it may become
                    clear after I do...but I didn't receive a catalog with my sandals. I
                    received the hang tag and the 45-day guarantee booklet. Did I miss
                    something?)

                    Thanks again! :)

                    Lynne

                    --
                    Lynne Durham
                    Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                      Now that I've had a chance to look at your report and Colleen's, it
                      appears that the men's sandals are packed with a catalog and the
                      women's are not...or it just so happened that neither I nor Colleen
                      received a catalog in our boxes. :)

                      --
                      Lynne Durham
                      Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                        looks like a clear case of descrimination to me:') call them and see
                        if they say "bite" me..then sue!

                        Coy Boy

                        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Lynne Durham
                        <lynnedurham@g...> wrote:
                        > Now that I've had a chance to look at your report and Colleen's, it
                        > appears that the men's sandals are packed with a catalog and the
                        > women's are not...or it just so happened that neither I nor Colleen
                        > received a catalog in our boxes. :)
                        >
                        > Lynne :)
                        >
                        > On 4/30/05, James <jetriple@r...> wrote:
                        > > Lynne - Now that I've posted my report I have read yours. I
                        have a
                        > > couple of comments. First, you mentioned the thumbnail
                        measurement
                        > > for size... but that is actually for SHOES. There is a nother
                        section
                        > > on the hang tag for sandals. Speaking of shoes, you call the
                        sandals
                        > > "shoes" throughout your report. Might want to change this.
                        Also, I
                        > > think it was in your report, where you mention the exploded view
                        of
                        > > the sandals not having numbers to correspond to the
                        descriptions. The
                        > > catalog has the same picture... and the numbers are included
                        there.

                        > > Otherwise, excellent job! Looks like we have a great team for
                        this
                        > > test! (Not to mention great monitor!

                        > > Happy Hiking!
                        > >
                        > > Jet
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Lynne Durham
                        > Benton Harbor, Michigan USA
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jetriple@r...>
                          wrote:
                          (Not to mention great monitor!)

                          > Happy Hiking!
                          >
                          > Jet

                          Flattery will get you everywhere!!!

                          Coy Boy
                        • James
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1 1:33 PM
                            Hummmm. I got the full Bite catalog with my sandals. Mostly Golf
                            shoes... Anyway, page 21 of the catalog has the same info as the hang
                            tag... except there are numbers on the exploded view. If you don't
                            have it then I can understand your confusion. My report has some of
                            the info... but obviously not an exploded view since I didn't want to
                            destroy the sandals.

                            I'm on the road this week but will be checking e-mail occasionally.

                            Jet

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2 5:25 AM
                              Could be that I got special treatment as they botched the order and
                              finally had to next-day-air ship me the sandals. They probably didn't go
                              through normal channels.

                              Jet

                              backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 04/30/2005 04:32:57 PM:

                              > Now that I've had a chance to look at your report and Colleen's, it
                              > appears that the men's sandals are packed with a catalog and the
                              > women's are not...or it just so happened that neither I nor Colleen
                              > received a catalog in our boxes. :)
                              >
                              > Lynne :)
                              >
                              > On 4/30/05, James <jetriple@...> wrote:
                              > > Lynne - Now that I've posted my report I have read yours. I have a
                              > > couple of comments. First, you mentioned the thumbnail measurement
                              > > for size... but that is actually for SHOES. There is a nother section
                              > > on the hang tag for sandals. Speaking of shoes, you call the sandals
                              > > "shoes" throughout your report. Might want to change this. Also, I
                              > > think it was in your report, where you mention the exploded view of
                              > > the sandals not having numbers to correspond to the descriptions. The
                              > > catalog has the same picture... and the numbers are included there.
                              > >
                              > > Otherwise, excellent job! Looks like we have a great team for this
                              > > test! (Not to mention great monitor!)
                              > >
                              > > Happy Hiking!
                              > >
                              > > Jet
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Lynne Durham
                              > Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

                            • Coy
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3 7:42 AM
                                Official Edit

                                Hi Jet,

                                I was hopeing you would give me something to work with but alas, you
                                are as bad as the ladies. I found nothin wrong so gave Word a shot.
                                Word thinks Mens and Womens should be posessive with an apostraphe but
                                I'm not sure. I never am. Also scootch is not a word:') but should
                                be so it stays as is. In other words, upload when ready. BTW the
                                photographs are great. I wish the third one down showed the complete
                                sandal sos I could tell if it really is floating...and good balance on
                                the deck in the last pic or is that trick photography too?

                                here is where Word flagged men's and women's. you decide who is right.

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3 7:51 PM
                                  Hey Coy!

                                  Seems like I found one missed word which I corrected while on an airplane
                                  somewhere. Thanks for the kind words. I really was balancing on the 4"
                                  deck rail. Makes me forget I'm 45. And the floating sandal was done
                                  outside the PO after I weighed the sandals. I hung the sandal from a pine
                                  tree with the lanyard from my work badge. The clouds were perfect. I
                                  edited out the lanyard and thought it came out pretty good. The other
                                  floating shots I was holding in one hand and taking the picture withe the
                                  other. The best part of reports is the pictures. I love that aspect.

                                  I'll proof read again and upload on Friday when I am back in Iowa. Until
                                  then I'm enjoying Maryland (more or less).

                                  JET

                                  PS: Mens and Womens always gives me a fit. Mens and womens is correct as
                                  men's and women's is possessive and not appropriate... yet the spell
                                  checkers always flag it. Dang it anyway.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 6 10:45 AM
                                    Finally uploaded. Sorry for the delay.

                                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Sandals/Bite%20Xtension%202/James%20Triplett/Initial%20Report/

                                    JET