EDIT - Coolibar Trail Hat - Anthony "TJ" Smith

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi TJ,

      Thanks for posting your IR on time. I hope your OOP went well. My
      edits/comments/suggestions are below marked with ##

      Jamie D
      Coolibar Men¡¦s Hat Monitor

      ----------------------------------

      Links all check out and pics look good. Your background is a bit
      above 100 words, please take a look and trim it a little.

      in Product Information

      ##Suggestion ¡V you mention later in your report that one of the
      manuf. tags lists the sun protection rating for the hat, I would
      suggest you include that in the product info. section. I know when
      I read some of these reports I look at this info. more thoroughly
      and often skim the actual body of the report.

      attractive styling and durable details make it the choice of fishing
      hats and hiking hats

      ###comment ¡V does the website really say, ¡§the choice OF fishing
      hats and hiking hats¡¨? It seems like that should be FOR. I mean
      fishing hats don¡¦t usually get to choose what hat they are going to
      wear!! ļ

      In Initial Information/Observations

      ##Edit ¡V I did not see any mention of the hat¡¦s arrival condition in
      this section. Please add a sentence or two about this as it a
      mandatory part of the IR.

      On initial wearing, I find the Trail Hat to be quite comfortable. I
      do not feel it is too tight, nor too loose. I have also found the
      side snaps easy to use in initial trials, both with the hat off and
      with it on my head.

      ###Suggestion ¡V since you have clearly stated you comments in this
      paragraph will be based on ¡§initial wearing¡¨ you really do not need
      the words ¡§in initial trials¡¨ when you are talking about the snaps.

      Not being used to hats with "tie-down" straps, I'm not sure how long
      it will take me to get used to this feature.

      ###Comment ¡V I¡¦m not sure what you mean by ¡§tie-down¡¨ straps? I
      looked over your description and the manuf. one and I didn¡¦t see any
      mention of straps other than the one cord that hangs under your
      chin. Please clarify.

      In Test Plan

      During the testing period, expected weather conditions range from a
      high near 100 F (38 C), and lows approaching or creeping just below
      50 F (10 C).

      ##Edit ¡V weather conditions ¡§will or will likely¡¨ range from

      I currently have numerous trips planned throughout the testing
      period,as well as weekly day hikes during which I will be utilizing
      the Trail Hat.

      ##Edit ¡V need a space between the , and the ¡§as¡¨

      While testing, the following are a list of issues I intend to
      explore:

      ##Edit ¡V are a list is not correct. It needs to be either ¡§is a
      list¡¨ or ¡§are the issues¡¨ ALSO, please change the ; to a :

      In Durability

      Do the edges begin to look tattered, the "toggle cord" break loose?
      Does the hat start to show
      excessive sweat marks,

      ###Edit ¡§look tattered?¡¨ Will the toggle cord break loose? ¡§Will¡¨
      the hat start to show
      ### Comment ¡V I doubt it will happen over only 4 months of testing
      but you may also want to watch for the fabric around the snaps to
      fail. I have had cotton hats in the past where this happened fairly
      quickly because cotton is such a soft fabric.

      How easy is the Trail Hat to clean? Does it hold dirt, or is it easy
      to clean?

      ###Edit and Suggestion ¡V Edit> clean is listed redundantly in this
      sentence. Suggestion> I would suggest you lump the above comment
      about the hat showing sweat marks with this section about care and
      cleaning. They seem to go together and really fit more in the
      Care/Cleaning category over Durability.

      In Comfort

      Does it fit well when worn with sunglasses (some hats I have sit low
      and interfere
      with the arms of my sunglasses.)?

      ##Edit ¡V the ? should be after sunglasses. The sentence in ( )
      should then be capitalized.

      in Construction

      How well stitched is the Trail Hat? Are there loose threads, or do
      they all
      seem tight?

      How is the hat ventilated, if it is ventilated at all?

      ###Suggestion ¡V These questions would be good to include in your
      initial report as part of your comments on the arrival condition of
      the hat and your description and expectations from the website.

      ### One final Comment ¡V Does the hat have any water repellent
      properties? I¡¦m just curious.
    • Anthony (TJ) Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
        Jamie, I have attended to your edits, and due to several what may be
        construed as significant changes, I'm going to go ahead and repost here and
        in the test folder for you to look back over and make sure I didn't miss
        anything in the changes. Also here are a couple comments on some of your
        comments.
        Anthony "TJ" Smith

        >>>attractive styling and durable details make it the choice of fishing
        hats and hiking hats

        ###comment ¡V does the website really say, ¡§the choice OF fishing
        hats and hiking hats¡¨? It seems like that should be FOR. I mean
        fishing hats don¡¦t usually get to choose what hat they are going to
        wear!! ļ
        ---Yes, that is a direct copy/paste from Coolibar's website. I
        double-checked to make sure.

        In Initial Information/Observations

        ##Edit ¡V I did not see any mention of the hat¡¦s arrival condition in
        this section. Please add a sentence or two about this as it a
        mandatory part of the IR.
        ---Never had this pointed out on any of my previous IR's. I did add it on
        this one.

        While testing, the following are a list of issues I intend to
        explore:

        ##Edit ¡V are a list is not correct. It needs to be either ¡§is a
        list¡¨ or ¡§are the issues¡¨ ALSO, please change the ; to a :
        ---This is already a colon not a semi-colon, could it be something in your
        window showing differently?

        ### One final Comment ¡V Does the hat have any water repellent
        properties? I¡¦m just curious.
        ---Nothing mentioned either way about water repellency, so I didn't include
        anything (don't want to fault the hat for something it doesn't have.)
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2006
          Thank you TJ. I'll take a look at the reposted version in the test
          folder tomarrow.

          > hats and hiking hats
          > ---Yes, that is a direct copy/paste from Coolibar's website. I
          > double-checked to make sure.

          Yours was the first one I edited but the other two testers had the
          same quote so I figured it was just Coolibar. Weird!!

          > In Initial Information/Observations
          >
          > ##Edit ¡V I did not see any mention of the hat¡¦s arrival
          condition in
          > this section. Please add a sentence or two about this as it a
          > mandatory part of the IR.
          > ---Never had this pointed out on any of my previous IR's. I did
          add it on this one.

          That's weird too. I read it directly from the Quick Start Guide -
          Test Requirements section - Initial Report
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php#_Toc27315189

          > ---This is already a colon not a semi-colon, could it be something
          in your window showing differently?

          Oh I'm sure it's my crappy internet explore.... ack!!

          > ---Nothing mentioned either way about water repellency, so I
          didn't include anything (don't want to fault the hat for something
          it doesn't have.)

          Yes I agree. I was just curious. I'd love to find a comfy hat that
          holds back the drops. :)

          jamie
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2006
            Hi TJ,

            You are free to upload at anytime. The HTML looks fine to me and it
            looks like you caught the edits I gave so you should be all set.

            I appologies for taking a few days to get back to you. I had some
            unexpected family stuff come up and I haven't had much compter time.
            I'm catching up though, I think.

            jamie d
            Coolibar Men's Hat monitor