Initial Report-SmartShield Sunblock Products-Jenn K.

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Initial Report-SmartShield Sunblock Products-Jenn K.
      Thank you in advance for the edits.
      HTML:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-SmartShield%20Sun%20Products-Jenn%20K/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/qyggz

      Initial Report: SmartShield Sunscreen and Insect Repellent Products
      Jennifer Koles
      July 31, 2006

      SmartShield Products

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Jennifer Koles
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
      Backpacking Background

      I started taking overnight backpacking trips last year in the Uinta
      Mountain Range in Utah. I found myself taking entirely too much gear.
      I am finding out slowly how to minimize my needs and not require extra
      luxuries. My previous outdoor experiences consisted of 4-wheel-drive
      camping in primitive areas and day hiking. I use a four season
      convertible tent or a three season tent for my shelter. I plan to take
      more trips, increase my duration, and reduce my two to three day pack
      weight (food and water included) from 26 lb (12 kg).

      Product Information and Product Description

      Manufacturer: SmartShield

      Year of Manufacture: 2006

      Manufacturer's Website: www.smartshield.com

      Listed Weights: not listed on manufacturer website

      Actual Weights: see table below for actual weights of the items tested

      Product Available Retail Sizes MSRP in USD
      SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion 4 fl oz (118 ml) $7.99
      SPF 30 Lotion Foil Pack box of 50 foil packs $29.50
      SPF 30 Spray with Insect Repellent 4 fl oz (118 ml) $8.99
      SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelette with Insect Repellent box of 50 packets $34.00
      After Sun Repair Foil Packs box of 50 packets $24.50
      SPF 30 Lip Balm not indicated on website $1.75
      SPF 30 Eyes, Face, and Nose 0.45 oz (13 g) $3.25
      SPF 30 Faces 1 fl oz (30 ml) $5.99

      Item
      and
      Weight/Dimensions of Tested Sizes Directions and Ingredients
      Manufacturer Description (obtained from the website)

      SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
      2 fl oz (59 ml)
      Sunscreen Lotion
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 2.8 oz (80 g)
      Dimensions: 2 in x 4.5 in x 1.5 in
      (5 cm x 11 cm x 4 cm)
      Uses: Helps prevent sunburn and higher SPF gives more sunburn protection.

      Directions: Apply liberally 20 minutes before sun exposure and as
      needed. For children under 6 months of age, ask a doctor.

      Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Padimate O 7.0%, Octisalate 3.0
      %, Avobenzone 2.0%, Octocrylene 1.4%
      Protect your skin from ultraviolet rays with a light, oil-free formula
      that absorbs and dries quickly -- without leaving behind any greasy
      residue. This light, waterproof sunscreen will keep your skin
      protected for hours with SPF 30, features UVA and UVB protection, is
      PABA-free, and contains aloe vera to soothe and smooth your skin. It
      is serious sun protection for all day - everyday use.

      SPF 30 Lotion Foil Pack
      0.20 fl oz (6 ml)
      Lotion Foil Pack
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 0.2 oz (5 g)
      Dimensions: 3.5 in x 2.25 in (9 cm x 6 cm)

      Directions: Apply to exposed areas before sun exposure. Reapply often.

      Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Padimate O 5%, Benzophenone-3 5%,
      Octisalate 2.5%

      Inactive Ingredients: Deionized Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Finsolv TN,
      Methocel E4M, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ultrez-10 Powder, Methylparaben,
      Proplyparaben, Pemulin TR-1, Triethanolamine, Fragrance Handy and
      ready to go anywhere -- your beach bag, golf bag, tackle box, purse or
      pocket. Protect your skin from ultraviolet rays with a light, oil-free
      formula that absorbs and dries quickly -- without leaving behind any
      greasy residue. This light, waterproof sunscreen will keep your skin
      protected for hours with SPF 30, features UVA and UVB protection, is
      PABA-free, and contains aloe vera to soothe your skin. Please note:
      THIS IS NOT A TOWELETTE.
      SPF 30 Spray with Insect Repellent (product volume not listed on
      container)
      Spray with Insect Repellent
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 2.8 oz (80 g)
      Dimensions: 4.5 in x 1 in x 1.75 in (11 cm x 3 cm x 4 cm) Uses:
      Helps prevent sunburn. Higher SPF gives more sunburn protection.
      Retains SPF after 80 minutes of activity in water, sweating or perspiring.

      Directions: Apply liberally before sun exposure. Children under 6
      months of age, ask a doctor. Reapply as needed after towel drying,
      swimming or sweating.

      Active Ingredients: Padimate O 8.0%, Octinoxate 6.0%,Octisalate 6.0%,
      Oxybenzone 3.5%

      This is the perfect combination of SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray with all
      natural insect repellent. A cooling alcohol base that is clean, clear
      and ultra dry. This light, waterproof sunscreen will keep your skin
      protected for hours with SPF 30, features UVA and UVB protection.
      Great for people with oily skin. The clean cedar scent discourages
      bugs. It is serious sun protection for all day - everyday use.

      SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelette with Insect Repellent 0.20 fl oz (6 ml)
      Sunscreen Towlette
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 0.2 oz (5 g)
      Dimensions: 3.5 in x 2.25 in (9 cm x 6 cm)
      Directions: Apply to exposed areas before sun exposure. Reapply often.

      Active Ingredients: Padimate O 8%, Octinoxate 7.5%,Octisalate 5%,
      Benzophenone-3 3.5%

      Natural Insect Repellents Active: Cedarwood, lemongrass

      Inactive: Alcohol SDA 40, Cyclomethicone, Finsolv TN, Aloe Vera Gel,
      Fragrance
      The SmartShield Towelette contains a very soft towel saturated with
      our SPF 30 sun protection liquid. This liquid is waterproof and sweat
      proof. It also contains all natural insect repellent ingredients-
      Cedar Essence and Lemongrass.

      These are natural repellents and contain no DEET. The independent
      laboratory found that SmartShield Sunscreen Spray was statistically as
      effective as the well known DEET product at repelling mosquitoes. The
      testing labs description was 'Statistically equal in preventing
      mosquitoes from probing.' That means that you can have sun and insect
      protection without the use of the chemical repellent DEET which
      concerns many people. The sunscreen components are long lasting and
      are very effective. The insect repellents are natural and do not last
      all day. They need to be touched up in 3-4 hours with a light
      reapplication.

      There are no oils in our products. They go on easily and are not felt
      thereafter. They are perfect for workers or others whose grips and
      work environments make an oil free product more appealing and safe.
      They are also perfect for woodsmen and hunters since there are not
      foreign fragrances in the towelettes and the spray products. The same
      liquid that is in the Towelette is in a 1 and 4 oz. pump spray container.

      The Towelettes will comply with OSHA mandates for protection from UV
      for outdoor employees.

      After Sun Repair Foil Packs 0.20 fl oz (6 ml)
      After Sun Foil Packs
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 0.2 oz (5 g)
      Dimensions: 3.5 in x 2.25 in (9 cm x 6 cm)
      Uses: Cooling, fast pain relief for sunburn, wind burn, and skin
      discomforts.

      Directions: Apply gently to the area 3 to 4 times a day.

      Medicinal Ingredients: Lidocaine Hydrochloride 1% w/w

      Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Deionized Water, Aloe Vera Gel,
      Glycereth-26, Carborner, Tricthanolamine Polysorbare 20, Sodium
      Benzonate, Fragrance, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #5

      Soothing Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine. Provides relief for those who
      forgot to wear sunscreen or have windburn. Cooling, fast pain relief
      for sunburn, windburn, and skin discomfort. Please note: This is not a
      towelette.

      SPF 30 Lip Balm
      0.15 oz (4 g)
      Lip Balm
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 0.4 oz (10 g)
      Dimensions: 0.5 in diameter x 2.5 in (1 cm diameter x 6 cm) Uses:
      Helps prevent sunburn.

      Directions: Apply liberally before sun exposure and as needed.
      Children under 6 months of age, ask a doctor.

      Active Ingredients: Homosalate 6%, Meradimate 4%, Octinoxate 7.5%,
      Oxybenzone 5% New moisturizing formula! Protect your lips from UVA
      and UVB rays with this SPF 30 lip balm. This moisturizing lip balm is
      loaded with aloe and Vitamin E for extra soft lips and protection from
      the wind, sun and cold.

      SPF 30 Eyes, Face, and Nose 0.45 oz (13 g)
      Face Stick

      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 1.2 oz (30 g)
      Dimensions: 1 in diameter x 3.75 in (3 cm diameter x 10 cm)
      Dimensions: Directions: None listed on bottle.

      Active Ingredients: Octocrylene 10%, Octyl Methoxycinnamate 7.5%, Zinc
      Oxide 6%

      For virtually hands-free application, use SPF 30 Sunscreen Face Stick
      A tough sunscreen designed with active people in mind. This aloe- vera
      enriched formula is waterproof and sweatproof for worry-free fun in
      the sun. Fragrance-free, oil-free, it's effective protection from sun,
      wind, and cold.

      SPF 30 Faces 1 fl oz (30 ml)
      Faces
      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Weight: 1.6 oz (45 g)
      Dimensions: 3.5 in x 1.5 in x 0.75 in (9 cm x 4 cm x 2 cm)
      Directions: None listed on bottle.

      Active ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate 5%, Oxybenzone 2% and Octyl
      Salicylate 3% in a base of Aloe Vera Gel

      FACES is a unique formula for sports enthusiasts or professionals, its
      moisturizing formula gives protection to your skin with a SPF 30
      lotion non-migrating formula. Sweatproof and Waterproof, provides
      UVA/UVB Protection. Clean, Oil Free, great for use under your make-up.
      Regular use of this product may help to prevent cancer, wrinkles, and
      premature skin aging.

      Initial Impression

      The container for the spray insect repellent and sunscreen lotion
      arrived in a different size from what is advertised on the
      manufacturer's website. The unscented lip balm has completely
      different packaging from the manufacturer's website and the website
      neglects to list the ingredients so I am unable to verify if it the
      same product. Overall the website is informative and easy to navigate.
      There is abundant product information on all of the manufacturer's
      products, but no ingredients are listed.

      The insect repellent comes in a pump style container with a plastic
      cap. It has a strong alcohol-scent odor when used. Within a few
      seconds of application a pleasant lemongrass and cedar scent is
      detectable. Both the lip balm and the sunscreen face stick come in a
      capped cylindrical tube. The bottom dial must turned to expose the
      product for application. The sunscreen lotion comes in a flip-top
      container similar to a shampoo or other lotion product container found
      in most convenient stores.

      So far I am pleased with the SmartShield products and look forward to
      testing them in the field.

      Testing Locations

      These items are going to be primarily tested during the summer months
      (August-early September) in the mountainous region of northern Utah.
      Most elevation ranges in the Utah Wasatch and Uinta Mountain Ranges
      are between 9,000 and 10,000 ft (2,700-3,000 m). The average daytime
      temperature in these mountain ranges at 9,000 ft (2,700 m) during the
      summer months is 75 F (24 C). The yearly average amount of snowfall is
      500 in (13 m) in the Wasatch Mountain Range.

      During the month of August I am planning a climbing /backpacking trip
      to the Grand Teton in Wyoming. The elevation at the summit is 13,770
      feet (4,198 m). The temperatures vary significantly due to the
      elevation gain. The average temperatures in July are between 40 F (4
      C) and 76 F (24C) depending on the elevation level. I am not intending
      on wearing these sandals to the summit of the Grand Teton.

      In the early fall months (September-October) I frequently overnight
      camp in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park and the
      Moab, Utah area. The climate in this area is dry during the fall
      months and the temperatures average 60 F (16 C) during the day. The
      elevation in this area is generally 5,000 ft (1,500 m) with ranges of
      a few hundred feet.

      My backpacking plans this fall (September) also include 2-3 day
      backpacking trips in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
      and the San Rafael Swell area of Utah. The elevations in these
      geographical areas range from 4,000 to 8,000 ft (1,200-2,400 m). These
      geographic areas are considered a high desert, and consist of rugged
      mountainous terrain, slot canyons, and are less rugged in the valley
      areas. The temperatures during the fall months average approximately
      60 F (16 C). The area is arid with only 4 to 6 in (10-15 cm) of
      precipitation a year.

      Test Plans

      I plan to test these items in all the above locations and I am certain
      many more during the testing period. I will test these items while day
      hiking, backpacking, swimming, rock climbing, and cycling.

      I am fair skinned and I do burn easily. Sometimes I will tan, peel, or
      stay a shade of red . I live at a high elevation which does make me
      more prone to burning.

      The below stated factors will also be tested and any other factors
      that may arise.

      Sun Protection Items

      Do I burn when wearing the products? Is the SPF 30 enough protection
      that I do not get burned? Do the products clog my pores or dry out my
      skin? Are the products non greasy on my skin and my hands (can I open
      containers after it is applied or safely boulder or rock climb)? Do
      the products absorb quickly into the skin? How is the water repellency
      of the products (waterproof)? Do the products sting my eyes if sweat
      or water rolls into my eyes once the product is applied? Does it feel
      sticky like some sunscreen products? Do I feel it on my skin? Do I
      break out? Do the bottles leak or does the lotion come out of the
      bottle quickly when exposed to heat? Are the containers easy to open?
      What is the weight of each product? What is the most convenient and
      universal product in this line to carry on extended backpacking trips?
      Do the products have a scent? If so is it appealing? Does the insect
      repellent smell like a chemical? Do the products stain clothes or
      fabrics? Does my skin feel soft when using the products?

      More testing specifics for some of the individual products:

      SPF 30 Lotion Foil Pack: Does the foil pack burst open when exposed to
      heat? Does it open easily? Is there ample lotion in one pack for ample
      application on my arms, legs, neck, and face?

      SPF 30 Spray with Insect Repellent: Do the pesky mosquitoes and the
      biting flies stay away from me with this product? How long is this
      effective when applied? Is it as effective as DEET?

      SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelette with Insect Repellent: How many
      applications are possible with one towelette? Does the towelette tear
      easily? Does it make application easier? Do I need more than one
      towelette for an ample application? Is it safe to use on my face? Is
      it as effective as DEET?

      SPF 30 Lip Balm: Does the lip balm dry out my lips or have a waxy
      feel? Does it increase my thirst? Is it moisturizing-how long? Does
      the lip balm melt when exposed to high temperatures?

      SPF 30 Eyes, Face and Nose: Does the stick melt when exposed to high
      temperatures? Can this be applied hands free or does the product need
      to be rubbed into the skin?

      After Sun Repair Foil Packs: Does the product cool the skin after
      being sun burned or wind burned? Does it burn when applied? How long
      does it soothe the skin? How many applications are in one packet?

      Remarks

      Thank you SmartShield and Backpack Gear Test for providing me with the
      opportunity to test the SmartShield Sun Block and Insect Repellent
      Products.