EDIT: National Geographic TOPO! (Leesa)

  • nwcurt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Leesa,

      Here are my comments, noted with **. Very nice layout and
      organization. Pics and formatting all show up looking good (I like
      that font). Feel free to upload after any necessary changes.

      -Curt

      upload and download to the users GPS and find features on a map and
      print selected areas.
      **Should be possessive here: user's

      There are many other features that I will explore and report
      on during testing
      **Looks like an errant "return" or "enter" there on those last 3
      words.
      **Need a period at the end of the sentence.

      I have used the Topo software ...
      **I believe you need to refer to the TOPO! software in all caps and
      with the exclamation point as it is their trademark. Not 100% sure
      of the BGT rules on this, but it's probably the safest thing to do.
      This would apply to all references in the report, not just this
      example. You use right in your last reference of the report.

      The yellow sticky note contains the marina's URL. I printed
      **Looks like a couple extra spaces between sentences

      **Not 100% sure, but I think your pictures might be mislabeled. The
      search result for 'Sebago Lake' looks like it resulted in image 3,
      the unlabeled topo, but you call this image 2 in the text. Worth
      double-checking at least.

      We hiked for about 4 miles, using the gps while
      **You use GPS, all caps, earlier and later in the report. I don't
      think it matters which you use, but you should probably just stick
      with one or the other.

      Spring brough heavy rains and some flooding.
      **Should be "brought"

      I have tried the software on a PC - no noticable functional
      differences. It does seem to render maps more quickly on my
      Macintosh though.
      **Noticeable should have an 'e' in it.
      **You might get some heat for this comment without providing the
      computer geeks out there with specs that can be fairly compared.
      Depending on your tolerance for hate e-mail, you might want to leave
      the last sentence off. Totally at your discretion.

      I will continue to use the TOPO! software and and include any further
      findings
      **Double "and" in there.
    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2006
        Leesa,
        Thanks for the Test Folder version. I meant to send the request for
        it directly – sorry for the group post about it :) Here are my edits,
        noted with **. HTML looks great – links work just fine and no
        formatting issues that came up on my computer. Thanks for a great
        test series!

        -Curt

        Over the last 4 months I have had many opportunities to use the Topo
        software on over 15 occasions to both plan and record trips.
        **Because it's trademarked, all references should be as NG does it -
        in all caps and with the exclamation point – TOPO!

        My 13 year old loves to take pictures, so he will save the maps and
        create 'scrapbooks' with the maps with the trails indicated in
        different colors and then he puts pictures of family members.
        Although this was not an intended use of the maps, I thought it was
        pretty cool!
        **Not an edit – just a comment on how completely cool that is! As my
        little boy is just entering backpacking age, I dream of situations
        like that. Thanks for sharing it!

        Elevations are below 3500 ft (1066 m)
        **Need a period at the end of the sentence.

        So far, the maps are as accurate or more accurate than my Maine Atlas,
        and some other maps available on the internet.
        **My spell check says to capitalize Internet. Does that sound right
        to you?