FR - Black Diamond Cosmo David Heyting

  • deheyting
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 8:36 AM
      Here is the report. I will get the html version up in the test file
      shortly. Thanks!

      David

      Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp
      Field Report - August 1, 2006

      Tester Information:
      Name: David Heyting
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0", 1.83 m
      Weight: 205 lb, 93 kg
      Email: deheyting@...
      City, State, Country: Snoqualmie, Washington, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking and backpacking for over 15 years. A great deal
      of the backpacking that I do is related to mountaineering and rock
      climbing in the Pacific Northwest. When not climbing, I'm a hiker
      that tries to go light to be able to push more miles. My main areas
      of exploration are the Washington Central and North Cascades.
      However I have also done lots of hiking in the British Columbia
      Coastal Range as well as the Oregon Cascades. I am also an avid
      adventure racer and compete in several races each year ranging from
      2 hours up to 24 hours in duration.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Black Diamond
      Model: Cosmo
      Date Received: 05 17 06

      Product Description:
      The Cosmo is a compact and lightweight headlamp that features four
      SuperBright LEDs that provide bright close range lighting. For more
      information please see my Initial report.

      Field Conditions:
      I have been able to use the Cosmo in a variety of different terrains
      over the past two months while being able to test the functions of
      the Cosmo in a variety of different uses – from nighttime glacier
      climbing, to orienteering and finally to camp life. During this
      period I was able to test the headlamp at elevations ranging from
      sea level to over 14,000 ft (4,267 m). While climbing Mt. Rainier in
      Washington, I used the Cosmo as my main light source while leading
      my rope team to the summit. I also used headlamp while making an
      alpine start, climbing in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness, which is near
      Steamboat Springs, in the Colorado Rockies. I also used the
      headlamp while doing multiple nighttime orienteering and trail
      running practice in the Central Cascades. The headlamp also served
      as my camp light while camping in dry climate of Eastern Oregon.
      The temperatures during my testing ranged from 40 degrees up to 95
      degrees (4 c to 35 c). I had hoped that the temperature during my
      Mt. Rainier climb would allow me to test the headlamp at some colder
      conditions; however the weather was extremely warm during that
      trip.

      steady lightweight source of light.

      Field Results:
      In testing the Cosmo I wanted to be able to push its limits by not
      only taking the headlamp into various terrains and elevations, but
      also to use the headlamp in a variety of uses. During my testing I
      found the Cosmo to be lightweight and comfortable to wear. I also
      found that it was easy to attach to my climbing helmet. The on/off
      button was easy to use, even with gloves on. I was also easy to
      adjust the direction of the light by tilting the headlamp. This was
      easy to do on the fly, with or without gloves on. The Cosmo
      provides a great light. I was impressed by the way the headlamp was
      able to light up the peripheral while still maintaining a solid
      straight beam with which to see. This made it easy to trail run and
      navigate with as the Cosmo provided great lighting around my feet.
      A couple times I did wish the Cosmo could emit a focused beam
      straight ahead to see a little bit further in the distance. The
      Cosmo does a great job of lighting up the tent or a wilderness
      restroom for that matter. During the testing, I found myself mainly
      using the brightest light during the testing as I never really had
      the need to use the other setting. I had the light on continually
      for well over 20 hours during my testing and I did not notice any
      reduction of light output during the two months. I did find myself
      really enjoying the weight and size of the Cosmo as during the past
      two months, I have taken the Cosmo on all trips (even day trips) as
      part of my survival gear.

      Test Plan:
      For my test plan I outlined five main factors to review as well as
      looking at how field conditions and activity choice affected the
      function of the Cosmo.

      Here are the five factors and the results:

      1. Visibility – How much light does the light actually put out?
      The Cosmo provided great lighting for each activity that I did. I
      felt that the light provided great side lighting, without
      sacrificing very much in terms of straight ahead focused beam
      power. Which was great for the camp site or while trail running.

      2. Best intended use – Under what conditions does the Cosmo
      excel?
      I felt the Cosmo excelled in all conditions that I was in as well as
      in each activity that I performed. I used the Cosmo for camp life,
      glacier climbing, trail running, and orienteering. I felt the Cosmo
      functioned well for each discipline and is a very well rounded
      headlamp.

      3. Burn Time – How long do the batteries last?
      Currently I am at over 20 hours and the Cosmo has shown no
      noticeable drop in power.

      4. Ease of use – Is the headlamp easy to use in all conditions?
      The single switch button was simple to use and easy to access even
      with gloves on. With only one strap to adjust to change the length
      of the headband, I found it easy to adjust the size to move from my
      head on to my climbing helmet.

      5. Comfort – Is the headlamp comfortable over a long period?
      I thought the headlamp rode quite well. I used the headlamp,
      directly on my head, with a baseball hat on and with a climbing
      helmet and felt the Cosmo was comfortable in each case.

      I felt the Cosmo performed well over all activities that I performed
      during the past two months. As far as conditions go, the Cosmo
      performed well in all cases. I felt I was able to provide a good
      test of performance at elevations with my trips to Mt. Rainier and
      the Colorado Rockies. In all cases elevation seemed to have no
      impact on the Cosmo. As far as weather condition go, I experienced
      great weather during my test – hot weather did not seem to have any
      impact on the Cosmo. However, I did not have the opportunity to
      test the Cosmo in either extreme cold or in a rainy atmosphere,
      which I would like to do.

      Thanks to Black Diamond and BackpackGearTest for the opportunity to
      test the Cosmo.
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 12:09 AM
        David-

        Thanks for your report. Just a few small edits this time. Thanks for
        your work!

        Bill Jeffrey
        Monitor

        > The temperatures during my testing ranged from 40 degrees up to 95
        > degrees (4 c to 35 c).

        EDIT: Add "F" after the second "degrees." Thanks.

        > I was also easy to
        > adjust the direction of the light by tilting the headlamp.

        EDIT: It was also easy...

        > 1. Visibility – How much light does the light actually put out?
        > The Cosmo provided great lighting for each activity that I did. I
        > felt that the light provided great side lighting, without
        > sacrificing very much in terms of straight ahead focused beam
        > power. Which was great for the camp site or while trail running.

        EDIT: The last sentence is not complete. Easy fixes: Either
        change "Which" to "This" or "That", or add it to the previous
        sentence: "...power, which was...

        > As far as weather condition go,

        EDIT: conditions
      • deheyting
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10 4:44 PM
          Bill

          I have made the changes and uploaded to the test folder for your
          review. Let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

          Thanks for your help.

          David

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, " AsABat" <wjj2001@...>
          wrote:

          > David-
          >
          > Thanks for your report. Just a few small edits this time. Thanks
          for
          > your work!
          >
          > Bill Jeffrey
          > Monitor
          >

          > > The temperatures during my testing ranged from 40 degrees up to
          95
          > > degrees (4 c to 35 c).
          >
          > EDIT: Add "F" after the second "degrees." Thanks.
          >
          > > I was also easy to
          > > adjust the direction of the light by tilting the headlamp.
          >
          > EDIT: It was also easy...
          >
          > > 1. Visibility – How much light does the light actually put out?
          > > The Cosmo provided great lighting for each activity that I did.
          > > felt that the light provided great side lighting, without
          > > sacrificing very much in terms of straight ahead focused beam
          > > power. Which was great for the camp site or while trail running.
          >
          > EDIT: The last sentence is not complete. Easy fixes: Either
          > change "Which" to "This" or "That", or add it to the previous
          > sentence: "...power, which was...
          >
          > > As far as weather condition go,
          >
          > EDIT: conditions

        • AsABat