FR - MSR Fling Tent - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Here you go Roger, HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/qysxm

      Mountain Safety Research Fling Tent

      Field Report
      August 5, 2006

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
      over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
      Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
      the Sierra Nevada, and have put 201 miles (324 km) with a pack on my
      back so far this year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am
      making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

      The product

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research, Inc. (MSR)
      Web site: www.msrcorp.com
      Product: Fling
      Year manufactured: 2006
      MSRP: $269.95 (US)
      Size: 2 person
      Packaged weight (complete) listed: 4 lb (1.8 kg) Actual weight: 4 lb
      5.3 oz (1.96 kg)
      Minimum weight (body & poles) listed: 3 lb 6 oz (1.5 kg) Actual
      weight: 3 lb 7.3 oz (1.57 kg)
      Interior height listed: 40 in (102 cm) Verified accurate but can
      change with setup
      Length listed: 80 in (203 cm) Verified accurate but can change with
      setup
      Width (foot & head) listed: 48 and 70 in (122 & 178 cm) Verified
      accurate but can change with setup
      Packed size listed: 20 x 6 in (51 x 15 cm) Verified accurate
      Color tested: Sunset (What I call MSR ultra-light orange)
      Warranty: (quoted from company web site) "MSR warranties the
      materials and workmanship in every MSR tent we make to the original
      owner. If your MSR tent has received proper care, but fails due to a
      defect in manufacturing, the tent will be repaired or replaced at
      our discretion.

      For a detailed description of the Fling, please see my Initial
      Report.

      Field Conditions

      I used the Fling in the Bristlecone Pine Forest in May. The temps
      over three days were from 28 F to 50 F (-2 to 10 C). I had it set up
      on 4' (1.22 m) packed snow at 11,200' (3,414 m) elevation, and on
      artic tundra (dirt, rocks, moss) at 12,600' (3,840 m). The winds
      that I measured on this trip ranged from 6 to 17 mph (10 to 27 kph).

      On July 1 I used it for an overnighter in the Mojave Desert west of
      Lancaster California. It was 105 F (58 C) for a high and dropped
      down to all of 73 F (41 C) for a low temp. Also in July it was used
      on a trip at 9,100' (2,774) elevation at Round Valley near Mount San
      Jacinto. Temps hit a low of 48 F (9 C) there.

      Observations

      Setting up has proven to be very simple with this tent. I only set
      it up once before going on the Bristlecone hike but was still able
      to put it together faster than Dave, who was using a Seedhouse 2SL
      that he was very familiar with. The first day I had it in a snow
      field, so used snow stakes with it. They held the tent very well,
      and I had no problems with it. Here is a picture of the Fling in a
      snowfield.

      The next day saw some higher winds during set up. I placed one
      regular stake (I was on dirt now) at the back corner to keep it from
      blowing away, and then set up as normal. Again it went quick and
      smoothly. I did add two pieces of line to the extra guy points on
      the rear of the tent and staked them with two of the extra four
      stakes I had brought.

      The single stake for two guy points showed its weakness here though.
      I pitched the Fling with the back into the wind. But the wind kept
      shifting and would hit it square on the rear for awhile, and then
      come from either side. When hitting the side it would make the two
      points pull towards the center. I fixed this by adding another stake
      to each side so that each point had its own stake. Here is a picture
      of it set up in this manner.

      The first thing that grabs me when I get into the Fling is how much
      room it has. I have no problem sitting up in it. And it is wide! My
      brother-in-law looked over as I set it up the first day and
      exclaimed about how huge the front is. I had to agree with him.

      I was worried that it may prove to be a little short for me though.
      As can be seen in the picture below my Dual Core pad touches each
      end of the tent. So did the sleeping bag I was using. I was afraid
      that I would pick up condensation from the wall on my bag. But it
      did not prove to be a problem.

      The reason I stopped worrying about it is that this tent has better
      ventilation than any single wall or hybrid that I have used. It was
      better than my Big Agnes Sarvis (see review), which is only half
      single-wall, at handling condensation. The only condensation I had
      the first night in the snow was on my mustache from my breath. Not a
      bit on the tent walls or my bag.

      The next night was even better as the wind was blowing through the
      tent all night. So no wet upper lip! The side walls under the
      shingle side vents did slap around all night long. I wear earplugs
      in winter conditions so the noise of it did not bother me. That may
      prove to be different this summer.

      I found that I do like the pocket formed out of the vent mesh. I
      will not put anything sharp or heavy in it but it works great for my
      Kestrel 4000 pocket weather meter. It has the proper outside
      temperature as soon as I turn it on keeping it in the Flings pocket.

      When I set up in the snow, I always dig a pit at the entry of my
      tents. I did so with the Fling and pretty much needed it to get in
      and out without difficulty. The next day on dirt I found my first
      bone of contention with the Fling.

      The beak/awning is too low for me to get in the tent without
      dropping to the ground. I cannot even squat down and unzip the door
      all the way. I am too tall; as I reach to the other side of the
      zipper track I hit the awning. I have to get on the ground under it
      to complete the motion. I took my crampons out of their storage sack
      to use as a kneel pad to get in and out of the tent. I am not
      looking forward to using it at a rainy, muddy site.

      Another thing that kind of bugs me is the pole sleeves. The
      material, which is the same as the floor, has the thick polyurethane
      coating on it. I have no problem getting them in while setting up.
      But as the poles sit under tension in the sleeve all night they
      become very stuck inside. It is quite difficult getting them back
      out of the sleeve when breaking camp in the morning. Trying to pull
      them out results in the pole sections separating, making it even
      more difficult to get them out. I feel they would be better served
      by using uncoated material for the inside of the sleeves in the
      future.

      I took the Fling to the Mojave Desert just to try it out in high
      heat. I have never used a single wall or hybrid in the desert. I
      normally take my Seedhouse and set it up without the fly. So I was
      ready to be in a sauna for the night. I brought a silk sleeping bag
      liner to sleep in, no bag, and started off just laying on top of it
      and the pad. Surprisingly it did not turn oven-like inside of the
      Fling. The full side vents help this tent immensely. At 2:30 AM it
      finally cooled down enough for me to climb inside the liner. While I
      was doing that I sat up and was just looking out the door window and
      saw a coyote trot out of a bush angling towards me. It stopped when
      it noticed the tent and stared at it. I yelled "get out of here" at
      it. It jumped straight up in the air and landed running. I laughed
      to my self thinking about it telling his coyote friends about the
      big loud orange thing in the desert.

      On July 3rd I took the Fling to San Jacinto to pre-scout sites for a
      trip with a bunch of children. I stayed at Round Valley as close to
      the creek as I legally could. The snow had recently melted off and
      it had been getting occasional thunderstorms so the ground was wet,
      and with some cooling overnight conditions would be great for some
      condensation. A little past midnight it started raining. It did not
      last long but no water got inside the Fling although I had the vents
      fully stretched out and the door vent fully open. Once more the
      Fling came through with flying colors. No condensation at all. The
      bottom of the tent did pick up a bit of mud as I do not have a
      footprint for it. I washed it off when I got home.

      For the most part this tent seems to be a pretty good design. The
      beak and pole sleeves are my only negatives so far. I am definitely
      enjoying the room in the Fling, and look forward to more testing to
      come.

      I would like to thank MSR and BackpackerGearTest for the opportunity
      to test this tent.