IR - Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie - Gail S.

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Presenting the IR for the Coolibar Hoodie...

      HTML:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20Coolibar%20Sun%20Block%20Hoodie%20-%20Gail%20S./

      Initial Report:

      Coolibar ® Sun Block Hoodie
      by Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan
      August 1, 2006

      Tester Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age: 53
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Chest Girth: 36 in (91 cm)
      Hip Girth: 37 in (94cm)
      Sleeve Length: 31 in (79 cm)
      Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
      Email: woodswoman2001@...
      Photo Album Website:
      http://community.webshots.com/user/isleroyalegirl

      For the last 16 years, backpacking has become a
      passion. I am a four-season backpacker and an
      off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips
      to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my
      trips are in Michigan and Canada. My pack weight
      varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb
      (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more
      than 50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of
      weather conditions including relentless rain, wet snow
      and sub-zero temps.

      Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie-- Description

      Manufacturer
      Coolibar
      Website http://www.coolibar.com/
      Phone 1.800.926.6509
      Model Sun Block Hoody
      Color
      White
      Materials
      lite SUNTECT TM/ CoolMax® Mesh
      Size
      Medium (Unisex)
      Manufacturer Weight
      NA
      Tested Weight
      8.6 oz (244 g)
      Model Year 2006
      MSRP $49.95 US

      The Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie is a neat product that
      combines a fashionable garment with the need for sun
      protection. CoolMax Mesh inserts provides ventilation
      on the sleeves and the upper back of the hoodie to
      regulate temperature control.The hoodie is primarily
      made out of lite SUNTECT fabric that reportedly blocks
      97% of UV rays. SUNTECT fabric contains enhanced
      titanium dioxide as an ultraviolet diffuser. The
      fabric is utilized to make a garment that also covers
      much of the skin to lessen exposure to the sun. The
      manufacturer claims that this combination makes the
      garment cool and comfortable to wear. Other attributes
      besides the hood include a snap-closure front placket,
      a deep pouch pocket on the front ,elastic cuffs,
      availability in a large selection of colors, and
      Unisex sizing (XXS-XXL).

      Coolibar's Guarantee - We guarantee our products' UV
      protection, with rigourous testing that measures both
      UVA and UVB screening. Unlike those of other
      manufacturers, our garment ratings are based on how a
      garment performs when it is weakest, at the end of its
      life cycle. So the protection we provide won't wash
      out, wear out, or fade away. Quality sun
      protection-guaranteed.

      Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie--
      Initial Impressions

      The Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie UPF 50 couldn't of
      arrived at a better time. Higher temperatures than
      normal and sunny days have produced exceptional
      testing weather.The hoodie arrived with the Sun Hat
      that I will also be testing and additional bonuses of
      both a full size bottle (5.0 fl oz/150 ml) and 5
      individual sample packets of Blue Lizard Sunsreen SPF
      30 and an AllSport Hat with sun guards. Coolibar does
      make a full line of sun protection products that are
      represented in the catalog that was provided. This
      report will only focus on my initial impressions of
      the hoodie.

      Size

      I requested the Sun Block Hoodie in a Size Medium
      Unisex even though I ordinarily wear a Women's Medium
      Size. The web description did suggest to order a size
      smaller than a women's equivalent size but because it
      also described the garment as having a trim athletic
      look, I decided that I didn't want to risk having it
      fit tight. My measurements were at the high end of the
      Size Small Unisex chart so I decided that it was best
      to go with the Medium. The hoodie fits just fine. It
      is slightly oversized on me but I don't feel that it
      is an issue as it fits more like a tunic style
      garment. I would rather have it loose than have the
      hoodie be too tight especially in the hip area. This
      could allow for additional clothing worn underneath
      the hoodie that might be required by the end of the
      test period (temps will certainly take a plunge). The
      chest measurement on the Size Medium Unisex is 38 in
      (97 cm). The circumference measurement underneath the
      arms is 48 in (122 cm) and it slightly flares to the
      bottom edge measurement of 49 in (124 cm). In other
      words, this garment is very straight and not really
      tapered enough to notice from the underarms to the
      bottom edge. The bottom edge features a vent at each
      side seam measuring 4 in (10.16 cm). The vents are
      bar-tacked at the upper ends for reinforcement.

      Fabric

      My first thoughts when I touched the fabric of the
      hoodie is that it felt like a very soft bed sheet and
      that it would be soothing next to my skin. I wasn't
      disappointed when I tried the hoodie on my body as it
      felt great against my skin. The hoodie is made of
      SUNTECT fabric. That fabric is actually 100% Nylon
      with enhanced titanium dioxide added to it. Regardless
      it still feels like very soft cotton to me. According
      to a hangtag on the hoodie, Coolibar fabrics were
      developed and independently tested in Australia for
      their "UltraViolet Protection Factor or "UPF". A UPF
      rating for fabrics is similar to SPF ratings on
      sunscreens. A UPF of 30 means the garment is certified
      to block 97% of the sun's UV radiation. The fabric is
      supposed to provide UVA and UVB protection for the
      life of the garment. On the website the hoodie is
      rated at blocking 97% (UPF 30) while on the hangtag it
      is rated at 98% (that correlates to UPF 50).

      More Details

      The Coolibar Sun Block Hoody that I received is in the
      color of White. Although the website featured a lot of
      attractive colors that were hard to not covet I
      generally prefer a very light color for sun clothing.
      The shirt is adorned with a chest emblem in matching
      thread of a Coolibar Tree. According to a hangtag that
      came with the hoodie, the Coolibar tree is an
      eucalyptus tree in the Australian outback that
      provides welcome relief and protection from the sun's
      damaging rays.

      The hoodie has integrated mesh ventilation inserts
      beneath each underarm on the front side that
      measure14.75 in (37.47 cm) down the underarm seams and
      5.5 in (13.97 cm) down the front shirt seams. A
      CoolMax mesh panel measuring 11.5 in (29.21 cm) in
      height lies beneath a vented back panel that is
      essentially layering the entire top of the back of the
      hoodie.The overlapping back SUNTECT panel measures 14
      in (35.51 cm) in length and features an 8.5 in (21.29
      cm) opening on each shoulder for ventilation.

      A huge double entry pocket is located on the front of
      the hoodie measuring 15 in (38.10 cm) in width and 9
      in (22.86 cm) in height. Elasticized cuffs have an 8
      in (20.32 cm) circumference. Three plastic snap
      closures are hidden beneath an unadorned front placket
      on the center front of the hoodie. The placket
      provides an 6.5 in (20.32 cm) opening for ease of
      pulling the hoodie over my head. The hood has a
      self-fabric drawcord and the hood measures 12 in
      (30.48 cm) in height from the neck seam to the top of
      the hood. Although the hood isn't tight it isn't quite
      as roomy as I would prefer.

      The weight of the garment wasn't mentioned on the
      website and it is truly more than I thought it would
      be. I wear similar types of shirts without hoods and
      they weigh about 5 oz (140 g). The sun block hoodie
      weighs almost twice as much at 8.6 oz (244 g). I
      realize that the extra features on the product add to
      its weight. They include the hood, large front pocket,
      the fabric itself and the roominess of the garment.
      Whether the extra weight of the garment will be a
      factor in my overall style of backpacking will be
      determined in the testing period.

      The hoodie appears to be finished nicely. Most seams
      are double top-stitched for reinforcement and the
      stitching is neat and evenly spaced.There are bartacks
      at the few stress points and I only found a few loose
      strings inside of the front pocket. The inside edges
      of this pocket are not finished off in any manor.
      Washing instructions that are located inside the
      hoodie indicate that it should be washed in warm
      water, then tumble dry.

      Pros

      * Easy snap front placket
      * Soft fabric
      * Roomy
      * Ventilation vents

      Cons

      * Hood fits a bit trim

      Coolibar Sun Block Hoodie--Test Plan

      Locations/Conditions

      The majority of my backpacking trips are in the Upper
      Peninsula of Michigan where evenings are mostly on the
      cool side. During the projected four month testing
      period of August through November the average lows
      during those months are consecutively 52 F (11 C), 44
      F (7 C), 34 F (1 C) and 22 F (1 C). August
      historically being the hottest month of the test
      period has an average high of 73 F (23 C). The
      following months have average highs of 63 F (23 C), 51
      F (17 C), and 35 F (11 C). Rapid drops in temperatures
      and much precipitation is created by the Great Lakes
      weather systems. Precipitation averages for this time
      period add up to almost 14 in (36 cm). All of these
      trips are to hilly boreal or deciduous forest and
      wilderness river systems. All testing conditions will
      be at low elevation or low altitude 600 ft (183 m) to
      2000 ft (610 m) with mostly semi-warm to cool
      conditions and mid-to-high range humidity (70-95
      percent).

      I will test the Coolibar Sun Block Hoody with the
      following considerations in mind:

      Function/Comfort:

      -Will the hoodie be versatile enough to both wear over
      another garment such as a long sport top or is it
      sized to just be worn with undergarments only?
      -Will the hoodie that comes in Unisex sizing adapt to
      a women's body or will there be excess fabric in some
      areas?
      -Will the chest placket with snaps be easy to work
      with to ventilate the hoodie or to take the garment
      off and on my body?
      -Will the hoodie protect me from a long day in the sun
      or will I also have to wear sunscreen as a back-up
      measure?
      -Will the hoodie ventilate as well as similar items
      with mesh inserts that I have owned?
      -Does the "hood" of the hoodie cover my entire head?
      How far can I pull it down over my forehead? Is the
      drawstring easy to work with?
      -Will I be able to use the hoodie feature as sort of a
      neck gaiter to protect my neck when I am wearing it in
      combination with the Coolibar Hat?
      -How well do the mesh inserts of CoolMax fabric work
      to ventilate the sleeves and upper back area?
      -Will I find the deep pouch pocket to be useful or
      will it cause irritation under the belt of my
      backpack?
      -Are the elastic cuffs adjustable? If not, is the
      elastic flexible enough to push the sleeves slightly
      upwards on the arms if necessary?
      -Will the hoodie be comfortable to wear in hot weather
      or humid weather? It would be subject to both if
      tested here in the Midwest region of the US.
      -Will the hoodie "stick" to my skin if the weather is
      humid or if I am sweating a lot? If the Hoodie does
      become damp how long will it take to dry?
      -Will the hoodie be stylish enough so that I will
      consider it for everyday wear in addition to
      backpacking?

      Materials/Durability/Care:

      -Will the hoodie fabric hold up to extreme use? Will
      the fabric pill, snag or fade easily?
      -Will the fabric weaken with constant sun exposure and
      perhaps lessen the sun protection - This would be hard
      to measure but will I see any thin spots?
      -Will the CoolMax mesh areas hold up to repeated use?
      -The hoodie is stated to be machine washable but how
      easy is it to wash in the field? How long will it take
      to dry in the field?
      -If the hoodie becomes stained will it be easy to
      clean the stains off of the garment by simple
      scrubbing?

      Tester Remarks

      I will gladly address all these issues and any
      additional pertinent concerns as I test the Coolibar
      Sun Block Hoodie. Thanks to Coolibar and
      BackpackGearTest for this great opportunity during the
      next four months.

      ***Gail***

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
        Here are Thomas Vickers’ official monitor edits of Gail Staisil’s Coolibar
        Sun Block Hoodie Initial Report

        Edit = must do
        Edit/comment = think about it, but do something
        Comments = think about

        Photo Album Website:
        http://community.webshots.com/user/isleroyalegirl

        Comment: Gail, I don’t know if you have used this link in other reports or
        not, but I am never clear on our external link policy. I am a bit dense.
        Hopefull Andrew Priest will tune in and clarify it again for the slow folks
        like me.

        inserts provides ventilation on the sleeves and the upper back of the hoodie
        to regulate temperature control.The hoodie is primarily

        Edit: you need some space between the period (control.The) and The

        and sunny days have produced exceptional testing weather.The hoodie

        Edit: you need some space between the period (weather.The) and The

        Size

        The web description did suggest to order a size
        smaller than a

        Edit/Comment: “to order” reads a bit weird. Perhaps “did suggest ordering”

        The hoodie has integrated mesh ventilation inserts
        beneath each underarm on the front side that
        measure14.75 in (37.47 cm) down

        Edit: need a space after measure and before 14.75

        The hood has a self-fabric drawcord and the hood measures 12 in
        (30.48 cm) in height

        Edit/comment: Is self-fabric correct?

        and the stitching is neat and evenly spaced.There are bartacks

        Edit: spaces needed after the period (spaced.There) and There

        -Will the hoodie ventilate as well as similar items
        with mesh inserts that I have owned?

        Comment: This seems like a bit of a comparison, which we like to avoid.
        Maybe rewording it a bit?

        Update and upload

        TV
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006
          Just noticed something after I edited.

          Why don't you list all the colors that the Hoodie is available in.
          It just adds a bit to the report.

          TV