Application to test the Wildwood I Backpack Stove - Marie-Noëlle

  • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Please consider my application to test the Wildwood Backpack Stove.
      I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide v.1202 and will comply
      with its chapter 5 requirements. My signed agreement is on file.

      Tester bio:
      ------------
      Name: Marie-Noelle Augendre
      Age: 48
      Gender: Female
      Height: about 5 ft 2 in (1,57 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: augendre.bgt@...
      City, Country: Lac-Kénogami (QC), Canada

      Backpacking Background:
      -------------------------------
      I started backpacking eight years ago, day-hiking in Ile-de-France all
      year round, and doing several one or two-weeks trips in more
      mountainous regions (Corsica, Pyrénées, Cévennes, Lubéron, etc.) each
      year. In the past two years, I have gradually lightened my pack load
      as I went for a hammock, an alcohol stove, a light pack and trainers.
      Nowadays, I am more and more attracted to the outdoor way of living,
      to the point I moved to Canada (Quebec) two months ago, in order to
      spend as much time as possible backpacking, kayaking, canoeing,
      snowshoeing, dog-sledding, etc.

      Cooking habits when living outdoors:
      When living outdoors, I usually have hot tea for breakfast and a hot
      meal (soup first, then some home-dehydrated dish) at night and often a
      last cup of tea before going to sleep. In cold temperatures, I like to
      prepare a Thermos of tea so I can have a hot beverage whenever I feel
      like it during the day. In winter (I expect we'll have snow from
      mid-October), I will have to melt snow in order to produce water. Wood
      is not a problem here, and everybody is used to cook on open fires;
      but a wooden stove will be an asset, as it is more secure and
      probably easier to cook on.

      Testing strategy:
      -------------------
      During the four-month testing period, I will use the Wildwood Backpack
      Stove as my main (and probably only) stove for all my overnight
      outings, either backpacking, kayaking or canoeing, and even
      car-camping. Depending on the actual testing period, I might also use
      it when snowshoeing or skiing. I intend to make several short trips in
      the next months; nothing is precisely organized or planned yet, but
      I'm currently gathering information so I can spend most of my time
      exploring the country I've just moved to.
      On the whole, I should be able to comply easily with the minimum "two
      test nights during the field testing phase and five test nights
      overall" requirement.

      Testing locations:
      --------------------
      I intend to spend quite a lot of time exploring the trails, lakes and
      rivers of the region Saguenay – Lac St Jean (province of Quebec) I've
      just settled in. The ground is mainly composed of forests with plenty
      of lakes and rivers. Altitudes usually remain under 1475 ft, but can
      sometimes reach 2460 ft in some hilly areas. I am not sure about the
      weather conditions, as I arrived in the region less than 6 months ago;
      at the time being, temperatures are often hot (up to 95°F), with
      sometimes heavy showers and/or quite strong winds. I expect
      temperatures will drop sharply in a few weeks, and we should get snow
      from October-November.

      Testing plan:
      ---------------

      When testing the Wildwood Backpack Stove, I intend to address the
      following issues:

      1) Assembly and use:
      Is the stove easy to assemble and take apart? Will it tend to
      dismantle by itself? Is it steady, especially with a full pot set on
      it? What if it is set up on snowy ground (weather permitting)? Is it
      easy to stoke with wood? to light on? to add wood when it is already
      lit? How can I blow it out? Will I have to wait for all the wood to be
      completely burnt? How fast will it heat water?

      2) Maintenance and care:
      Does the stove tend to get dirty with soot? Will it be easy to clean?
      Is some kind of stuff bag provided?

      3) Durability:
      How will the Wildwood Backpack Stove stand up to the four-month test?
      Will some part get bent or dented? Will the assembly remain
      consistent, or will the stove become lax?

      In addition, I will report on anything else I might observe that could
      be useful for a potential user / buyer of the Wildwood Backpack Stove.

      Last two reports:
      -------------------

      - Flatworld Orikaso Solo Set IR (07/15/2006): http://tinyurl.com/jv72a
      - Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock IR (06/12/2006): http://tinyurl.com/ztyba

      All previous reports:
      ------------------------

      - Duofold Varitherm Midweight IR / FR / LTR: http://tinyurl.com/mqjkr
      - Jacks 'R' Better Gear Hammock IR / FR / LTR: http://tinyurl.com/pbfuy
      - Inka Pen IR / FR / LTR: http://tinyurl.com/9dyfr
      - Chaco Z/2 Sandals IR / FR / LTR: http://tinyurl.com/ce3pg

      Owner Reviews:
      -------------------

      - Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad: http://tinyurl.com/mvvj6
      - Leki Wanderfreund poles: http://tinyurl.com/bp7k7
      - Sea to Summit Premium Silk Liner: http://tinyurl.com/pbfuy
      - Helsport Stetind 1 Tent: http://tinyurl.com/4bpbv
      - Garmin GPS Geko 301: http://tinyurl.com/5bdkr

      Completed tests:
      -------------------
      - Duofold Varitherm Midweight Base Layer
      - Jack 'R' Better Gear Hammock
      - Inka Pen
      - Chaco Z/2 Sandals

      Tests in progress: