FR - Coleman Cloudview 2 - Josh Cormier

  • swifteagle1_2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Well, I made it back from my backpacking trip feeling good.
      I took to much food, but got some better testing of the tent.
      Thanks for the extention, below is my FR.

      The HTML version has been uploaded to the web.

      Josh C

      Coleman Exponent Cloudview 2 Tent – Field Report

      Personal biographical information:
      • Name: Josh Cormier
      • Age: 26
      • Gender: Male
      • Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      • Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      • Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
      • City: Los Gatos, California
      • Date: 31-July-06

      Backpacking background:
      I started backpacking with the Boy Scouts when was 11 and have been
      camping and backpacking ever since. I'm now geared more toward
      challenging trips ranging from week-long to weekend in mountainous
      areas covering from 7-14 miles a day. I would classify my gear as mid
      weight although now I am trying to move more toward lightweight. I
      now go backpacking at least once a year in the Sierra Nevada
      Mountains as well as monthly car camping trips with the Scouts.

      Product Information: (information taken from Coleman website)

      - Item Description: Coleman Exponent Cloudview 2 Tent
      - Listed pack weight: 5.0 lb (2.27 kg)
      - Measured pack weight: 6.0 lb (2.72 kg)
      - Interior mesh pockets: 4
      - Seasons for use: 3
      - Floor space: 32 sq ft (2.97 sq m)
      - Vestibule space: 9 sq ft (0.84 sq m)
      - Tent length: 86.5 in (2.20 m)
      - Tent width: 59 in (1.50 m)
      - Center height: 43.2 in (1.10 m)
      - Poles: Aluminum
      - Manufactures web site: http://www.coleman.com
      - Year of Manufacture: 2006
      - MSRP: $139.99
      - Item Received: 18-May-06

      Field Use:
      Due to my busy schedule my first night of camping in the Cloudview 2
      tent was in my front yard. Keep in mind that my front yard is located
      in the Santa Cruz Mountains, elevation 800ft (244m). The terrain
      surrounding my house and yard is grassy hills spotted with oak trees
      and brush. The temperature during this test was a warm 62 - 86 F (17 –
      30 C) and there was never more than a slight breeze.

      Setting up the tent went smoothly since I had set it up twice before.
      All the poles snapped together smoothly and were easy to place into
      their grommet holes. The loop and toggle on the top of the tent
      fastened over the crossed poles but was so loose I had to hold it in
      place while I set the poles. If I did not hold the loop and toggle in
      place they would come apart and the tent would fall away from the
      poles. It had been a hot day and looked like it was going to be a
      warm night. As soon as I set up the tent (took less than 5 minutes) I
      opened the top vent, side vents, door vent, and rolled the rain-fly
      door up. This allowed whatever breeze there was to enter the tent and
      cool it off.

      I placed two Therm-a-Rest Guide Light's on the floor followed by two
      sleeping bags. My little sister joined me in the tent for a two
      person test. There was enough room in the tent for us some gear. We
      took along a bottle of water, a book, a couple of flashlights, and
      two pillows. There was enough room in the tent for us to sleep
      comfortably without being cramped for space. I did notice that my
      feet touched the back of the tent when I made room to sleep with my
      hands lying above my head. There was no condensation inside the tent
      when I woke up, however we slept with the front door and all the
      vents open. The pocket on the lower vent was handy for keeping my
      flashlight in and was easy to access.

      I also took this tent on a backpacking trip to Emigrant Wilderness in
      the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The elevations ranged from 6000 to 9000
      ft (1829 to 2743 m). The terrain was granite mountains spotted with
      trees with some meadows and sandy spots for camping. The temperature
      fluctuated between 52 F (11 C) at night to 89 F (32 C) in the
      daytime. There was usually a nice breeze blowing and the sky was
      clear and cloudless the entire trip. The tent was divided between my
      and my hiking partner, I carried the poles and rail fly, and he
      carried the tent and stakes.

      The first night I set up the tent after hiking all night, it was 2:00
      in the morning. We were located on a sandy flat piece of ground on
      the side of a granite mountain. Between the tent and the ground I
      placed a plastic painter's throw to provide some protection. The
      tent was easy to setup by myself using my headlamp as illumination.
      There was no way the stakes were going to go into that rock so I
      pitched the tent free standing. I left the rain fly off because it
      was a clear night and hoped to see some meteors streaking across the
      sky. Once in the tent I was able to see the stars through the mesh
      top of the tent. The side vents were the perfect height to see
      through while lying down and provided some great ventilation with the
      rain fly off.

      The last night of the trip I pitched the tent by a lake and staked
      down all four corners. Then I put the rain fly on, opened the rear
      vent, and staked out the vestibule. Although the sky was once again
      clear and the stars were bright, the stars were blurry and hard to
      see through the rain fly window. Inside the tent felt I could almost
      feel the moisture in the air as we prepared for bed. In the morning
      there was no sign of condensation inside the rain fly. All the vents
      were open so I was pleased that the venting system seemed to work.
      Throughout the trip we were plagued by mosquitoes, the tent provided
      a comfortable place to escape even with two people inside. The
      vestibule did not provide enough room to place our packs under but
      did have enough room for our boots and a few other choice items.

      Things I like:
      The tent does not have to be staked down
      With the rain fly off I can look through the side vents while lying
      down

      Things I don't like:
      The stars are hard to see (blurry) through the rain fly window
      The rain fly doesn't extend al the way to the ground

      In my next report I will answer the following questions:

      Dependability:
      Does the tent hold up well to use?
      Does the tent stay waterproof in constant rain?
      Do all the tent seams stay sealed?
      Are the poles prone to breakage?
      Does the tent floor develop worn spots or holes from use?
      Do the walls keep the rain and moisture out even if they are touched?
      Does the tent stand up well to wind?
      Are the provided stakes durable and up to the task of anchoring the
      tent in all kinds of terrain?
      Are the poles well designed as well as being light weight and strong?

      Efficiency:
      Is there enough room for 2 people to sleep comfortably in the tent?
      Are the benefits provided by the tent sufficient to balance its
      weight?
      Does the rain fly vent keep the tent from sweating?
      Does the rain fly vent keep water out in the rain?
      Is the tent long enough to fit a 5' 11" (1.80 m) person?
      Is the tent long enough that the sleeping bag is not in constant
      contact with the wall?
      Can two mats be placed in the tent without overlapping?
      Does the ventilation help keep the tent bearable in any weather?
      Are the provided guy ropes sufficient for their purpose?

      Ease of Use:
      Is the setup of the tent easy and quick?
      Can it be setup in the dark easily?
      Can it be setup in the wind easily?
      Is it easy for one person to take down the tent and pack it away?
      Does the flexibility in design help the tent to be evenly distributed
      for shared gear?
      Is the gear loft conveniently placed?
      Are the vestibules large enough to stow my pack in?
      Do the vestibules protect my gear from the weather?

      Thank you, to Coleman and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to test
      this item.

      Josh Cormier