FOR EDIT: Keen Humboldt FR Lynne Durham

  • Lynne Durham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
      Hi all!

      Here is the text version of my report for edit. Please excuse any odd
      characters Yahoo sees fit to add. The HTML version may be found at

      http://tinyurl.com/j9ata

      Thank you!

      Lynne

      =-=-=-=-=

      Keen Humboldt
      FIELD REPORT
      photo of the socks

      by Lynne Durham
      July 30, 2006

      REVIEWER BIO

      Name Lynne Durham
      Gender Female
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 157 lb (69 kg)
      Age 44
      Email lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT com
      Location Benton Harbor, Michigan USA

      BACKPACKING EXPERIENCE
      I have hiked and car camped all of my life, mostly in the relative
      flatlands of the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan, but also in
      areas east of the Continental Divide, such as South Dakota, New
      England, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, and more. I have been
      backpacking since 2002. I keep my pack weight to 25% of bodyweight.
      However, I am always trying to lighten my load further to enhance my
      comfort and enjoyment as I like to hike big mileage.

      Footwear Experience
      I usually do all of my trail work -- including backpacking, dayhiking,
      trail-adoption chores and trail running -- in a pair of trail runners.
      I usually replace the manufacturer's insole with an over-the-counter
      (OTC) insole of my choice. Some shoes, however, offer plenty of arch
      support for my needs. I virtually always wear socks with shoes which
      helps me prevent blisters.
      NAVIGATE THIS REPORT
      Reviewer Bio Backpacking Experience Product Information
      Field Conditions Field Activities Impressions
      This Is Cool This Could Be Improved

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Item name Humboldt
      Manufacturer Keen
      Manufacturer's Web site http://www.keenfootwear.com
      MSRP None given on Web site
      Claimed Weight 10.5 oz (298 g) NOTE: no reference size is given for
      this weight on the Web site. Additionally, the site does not make it
      clear that weight is per shoe, not for a pair (although weights given
      are obviously per shoe).
      Actual Weight 25.5 oz (720 g) per pair: left, 12.8 oz (363 g); right,
      12.7 oz (360 g) for a women's size 10.5
      Size As tested, women's US10.5, available in women's US5-11 (half
      sizes available through 11)
      Color As tested, dark grey/light green; also available in grey/mango
      and grey/blue.
      Care instructions Machine washable. Treated with Aegis Microbe
      Shield(r) "that helps prevent odor." Air dry after machine washing
      with a small amount of detergent.
      Country of Manufacture Made in China
      Materials Synthetic, webbing, mesh, rubber outsole

      More information about the product may be found in my initial report.

      Back to top
      FIELD ACTIVITIES
      During this phase of testing, these shoes were subjected to a variety
      of activities, including:

      * Trail running on well-worn, rooty, rocky trails at my local
      nature preserve and on the North Country Trail
      * Trail running and dayhiking on sandy, dune trails
      * Backpacking with a packweight of approximately 32 lb (14.5 kg)
      on the Manistee River Pathway and the North Country Trail
      * Trail maintenance in a heavy growth area with briars and wild
      roses dominant on the North Country Trail
      * Walking on suburban streets
      * Mountain bicycling on forested trails in southwest Michigan
      * Spinning classes
      * Treadmill running and walking

      Overall, the shoes have seen approximately 100 miles of outdoor trail
      usage above and beyond all other usages to which they have been
      subjected.

      Back to top
      FIELD CONDITIONS
      During this phase of testing, the shoes have encountered a variety of
      weather conditions, typical to the areas in which I hike, run, ride
      and backpack:

      * Cool (50+ F [10+ C]), rainy conditions, including one full day
      of light, persistent rain and other bouts of short, torrential
      downpours
      * Hot (85+ F [29+ C]), humid conditions
      * Warm (< 80 F[< 27 C]), relatively dry conditions

      Back to top
      IMPRESSIONS
      Overall I've very much enjoyed the comfort and performance of the Keen
      Humboldt. In all cases I have worn the shoe with socks. During the
      testing period, I had a variety of questions I was attempting to
      answer. Here are some of my discoveries.

      Fit:

      * How do the shoes work with my OTC insole?
      o I have not yet tested this question, as I have been quite
      pleased with the Humboldt's original insole thus far. This question
      will be tested during the long-term phase of testing.

      Comfort:

      * Would I want to wear these with the manufacturer's insole? Do
      these shoes provide adequate arch support for backpacking? Dayhiking?
      Trail running?
      o During this phase of testing, I have used the
      manufacturer's insole exclusively and have been pleasantly surprised
      at the comfort. I found the insole to be supportive enough for all of
      the uses I have outlined in the Field Activities section of this
      report.
      * Do the shoes cause any hot spots?
      o The only hot spots and blistering I experienced during
      this phase of testing occurred while hiking through heavily sanded
      areas. My feet are very susceptible to blisters when in sand, so I
      wouldn't consider this to be the fault of the shoes.
      * Are they comfortable enough to run in for hours at a time?
      o Circumstances have cut back my running time tremendously.
      The longest period of time these shoes were run in during the testing
      period about an hour and a half. The shoes remained comfortable during
      that entire run. I hope to further test this question during the
      long-term phase of testing.
      * Is the cushioning adequate for my needs?
      o The Humboldt's cushioning is relatively light, but seemed
      to be adequate for my needs.
      * How comfortable is the shoe when wet? Does dampness increase the
      possibility of hot spots?
      o The shoes drains water quickly. The only time I
      experienced blistering in the shoe, both sand and water were involved.
      However, dampness alone did not cause discomfort while hiking in the
      shoe.

      Back to top
      Performance:

      * Can the mesh design adequately protect the foot during extended travel?
      o The mesh design let in a bit more trail grit than I would
      prefer. Additionally, I could easily feel thorns poking through the
      mesh when I worked in thorny areas.
      * Does the mesh lining really keep grit and trail debris away from my foot?
      o The mesh lining did not, in my opinion, adequately keep
      trail debris and grit from my shoe. I even tried wearing the shoes
      with shortie gaiters, assuming that grit was entering over the top of
      the shoe. However, small pieces of trail debris and grit still entered
      the shoe. I would not say the mesh lining was any more or less
      protective than other shoes.
      * How does the shoe perform in sand dunes? It seems like the open
      design would allow the sand to sift out easily...does this help me
      avoid the black toenails I inevitably experience when hiking or
      running in sand? Does the mesh bootie keep the sand away from my feet?
      o The mesh bootie did not keep sand away from my feet. It
      was easily shaken out, however, and the mesh did not "hold onto" the
      sand the way that some shoe fabric does.
      * Does the outsole adequately grip a variety of surfaces? Does it
      offer better performance on one terrain versus another?
      o I found the outsole to be good and sticky -- it offered
      plenty of grip for my needs.
      * Is the rubber outsole really non-marking? I have a pair of
      mid-top trail runners by a different company that I can't even wear in
      my house because of how they mark up the floors.
      o I have worn the Humboldts on floors made of wood, ceramic
      tile, vinyl tile and linoleum. The outsoles did not mark up any of the
      surfaces.
      * How does the shoe handle perspiration? Is the airflow such that
      perspiration dries very quickly? Or will it feel like a slimy mess?
      o In my opinion, the mesh bootie is extremely efficient for
      handling perspiration. Airflow is excellent and my feet never felt wet
      for long -- even in rain or after water crossings.
      * How is the overall durability of the shoes?
      o Thus far, the shoes are holding up well. There is some
      light wear of the outsole that reflects my gait. No compression of the
      cushioning is evident. There are no frayed or worn areas.
      * How does the shoe handle bushwhack situations? Is it better
      suited for maintained trails?
      o For my needs, the Humboldt seems better suited to
      maintained trails. I could feel thorns invade the body of the shoe
      when off-trail in some bramble-filled areas.
      * How do my feet feel after using the shoes for long distances?
      o The longest distance covered at one time in the shoes thus
      far was approximately 21 miles. My feet did not feel any more or less
      fatigued than they usually do when covering that type of distance.
      * Does the Aegis Microbe Shield prevent smelly shoes?
      o These shoes have been used for miles and have been
      subjected to scummy pools of water, mud, heat and sweat. I've taken no
      special precautions with them other than to let them dry after each
      use. They have not been laundered at all. I am unable to detect any
      odor whatsoever! It may sound disgusting, but I actually sniffed the
      shoe. All I smell is shoe rubber. I find that pretty impressive!

      Back to top
      THIS IS COOL

      * I love the reflective stitching
      * The color is great
      * This is a very lightweight shoe compared to some of my trail runners
      * The lack of offensive odor is a major bonus!

      THIS COULD BE IMPROVED

      * Customer service should be easy to reach via the Web site
      * It would be great if product information was included with the product

      Thank you to Keen and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the
      Humboldt trail runners.

      --
      Lynne Durham
      http://lynnedurham.typepad.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        EDIT: Keen Humboldt FR Lynne Durham
        Edited by Coy Starnes

        Hi Lynne,

        Great job, manufacture link works and no edits. I only have one
        comment and it is just a FWIW. You switch back and fort between
        do/are the shoes and does/is the shoe (not in the same sentence
        though). I kinda likes the ones which called them shoes
        myself...kinda like I wear jeans or pants and not jean or pant.

        Coy Boy
      • Lynne Durham
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          Got it, Coy. Thanks for the great point.

          I'll pick one, edit and upload.

          lynne