Versalayer Ability FR - Jennifer Pope

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24 9:39 PM
      Versalayer Ability FR - Jennifer Pope

      Rami-
      Here's my FR. Unfortunately it's been pretty hot here. Hopefully
      it'll get cooler in the next two months. Thanks for the edits.

      html here:
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JEN%20VersaLayer%20Ability%20FR/>

      Jennifer P.

      VersaLayer Ability Softshell Jacket
      Field Report
      July 25, 2006

      Biographical Information Product Information Field Conditions Field
      Test Summary Future Test Plans

      VersaLayer system

      Biographical Information
      Name Jennifer Pope
      Age 25
      Gender Female
      Height 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m)
      Weight 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address Jennifer dot Pope at gmail dot com
      Location Los Angeles, CA
      Backpacking Background
      Intermediate. I've been a car-camper as long as I can remember and
      started backpacking in Northern California when I was 16. I've been
      backpacking for a little over a year after a hiatus during college. I
      backpack in the Sierras as well as other National Forests and Parks in
      the Los Angeles vicinity. I also spend time in the California deserts
      and the mountains and coast of Northern California. I'm a tent camper
      leaning towards lightweight; but I'm also a fan of gadgets and I like
      being comfortable. I also frequently day hike close to home and while
      car camping.

      <
      Product Information (back to top)
      Manufacturer VersaLayer
      Manufacturer URL http://www.versalayer.com/
      Year of Manufacture 2006
      sleeve length
      (from top of shoulder to wrist) 20 inches (51 cm)
      hip width 40 inches (102 cm)
      jacket length
      (from neck to bottom of jacket) 29 inches (74 cm)
      Claimed Weight 28.0 oz (794 g)
      Actual Weight 29.0 oz (822 g)
      MSRP $349.95 US
      Outer Material 2-way stretch woven nylon with an 80 wash DWR coating
      Insulation Material CoreWarmth Poly Fiber-Fill
      Lining Material Poly Microfleece / Tricot Mesh
      Purpose "The Ability is designed for high output alpine activity."

      For a more detailed product description please see my Initial Report.

      Field Conditions (back to top)
      I brought the jacket with me on a trip to Sequoia National Park. I
      car-camped the first night at 6,700 ft (2,040 m) where temperatures
      ranged between about 60 and 80 F (15 and 25 C). The skies were clear
      and there was a slight breeze. The following night I backpacked for
      one night. Camp was at 10,300 ft (3,139 m). That night temperatures
      dipped into the 40s F (5 C) and there was a fairly strong wind
      throughout the night and morning. I was able to wear the jacket in the
      evening and morning while hanging around camp.

      I also wore this jacket for a day of sailing in San Diego Bay. It was
      overcast but in the 60s (15 C). It was breezy since we were on the
      water and traveling fairly quickly over the water.

      Field Test (back to top)
      Unfortunately it's been a little warm in California for a jacket this
      heavy. Thus far I've only been able to wear the jacket on a handful of
      occasions: during the evening on a backpacking trip, on an afternoon
      sailing excursion, and another time it was merely packed along in my
      pack but it never got cool enough to actually wear it. Thus far I've
      never been in cool enough condition to actually be doing physical
      activity and wearing the jacket (unless steering a sailboat is
      considered physical activity).

      In it's limited experience I've really liked the jacket. I like the
      flexibility of being able to compress the insulating material if it's
      not quite as cold. When I wore the jacket on the sailing trip I
      frequently went from cool into warmer areas. I was able to regulate
      this by both compressing the insulating material and unzipping the jacket.

      This jacket packs pretty well for the warmth it provides. I carry a
      fairly small pack (52 liters/3200 cubic inches) by my standards. I am
      able to fit the jacket in my pack along with my bag, pad, cook pot
      (with my kitchen inside), the rest of my clothes, food for the weekend
      and a few other miscellaneous items (lucky me- hubby carries the
      tent). On one trip I packed the jacket on the outside of my pack (see
      below- though it's kind of hard to see since the jacket and the pack
      are black). The jacket survived slightly rough treatment being banged
      around on the ground every time I set my pack on the ground. Any dirt
      I accumulated I simply brushed off.

      Versalayer on a backpack

      Unfortunately I haven't encountered any moisture yet. No rain or any
      other moisture. This also means that I haven't had a chance to use the
      hood in the field yet.

      Summary (back to top)
      The jacket is heavier than I initially expected and it hasn't been
      ideal for the type of weather I have experienced over the first two
      months. Even so, I like the jacket so far. I hope to be able to use it
      in a greater capacity over the next two months. The jacket seems very
      well made and of high quality materials and it seems to shed dirt
      pretty easily.

      Future Test Plans (back to top)
      I will continue to wear this jacket hiking, backpacking, biking, and
      for casual weekend wear as weather permits. In addition I'll be
      wearing the jacket on a sailing trip to Catalina Island where I hope
      to get some cool ocean breezes on and off the boat. I hope that the
      weather will cool down for the rest of the test period so this jacket
      can get a more thorough workout. I'll be wearing the jacket from sea
      level up to over 10,000 ft (3,050 m) - give or take depending on where
      my late summer hikes take me. I'll be under diverse conditions which
      may include beach sand, the rocky mountains of the Sierras, forested
      areas, shrubby chaparral and probably more. I may encounter rain
      (light or thunderstorms), wind, cool temperatures (in the 30s F/~15
      C), hot temperatures (up to the 90s F/50s C), etc. Though I don't
      expect to be wearing the jacket up to the upper limit of that
      temperature range.

      I plan to evaluate how well this jacket works during the late summer
      months. This jacket is designed to be worn in a wide range of
      temperatures and I plan to find out if a jacket can really manage
      that. I will evaluate how well the jacket ventilates to keep me cool
      and dry when it's warm and I'm exerting myself. I will also report on
      how well it works with just a thin base layer and with a base layer
      and a mid layer when it's cooler outside. I hope to encounter
      temperatures cool enough to test both ends of the spectrum. I plan to
      evaluate how well the VersaLayer system works keeping me warm and cool
      as well as how it works functionally in the field.

      In addition to performance, I will also report on the durability of
      the jacket over the 4-month test period. I'll report on whether it
      tears or fades over time. As well as how easy it is to keep clean and
      if it holds on to odors and dirt. I'll also report on how easy it is
      to pack and whether is holds up to being packed on the outside of my pack.

      I want to thank BackpackGearTest.org and VersaLayer for giving me the
      opportunity to test this item.
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31 11:14 PM
        Attn Rami: Versalayer Ability FR - Jennifer Pope

        Hi Rami-

        I thought I had seen edits for this report but I can't find them now.
        Have you posted them already? I had 4 reports due last week so I
        might just have my reports mixed up. If that't the case, this is a
        reminder for you that I need edits. :)

        Thanks,
        Jennifer P.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer"
        <jennifer.pope@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > and dry when it's warm and I'm exerting myself. I will also report on
        > how well it works with just a thin base layer and with a base layer
        > and a mid layer when it's cooler outside. I hope to encounter
        > temperatures cool enough to test both ends of the spectrum. I plan to
        > evaluate how well the VersaLayer system works keeping me warm and cool
        > as well as how it works functionally in the field.
        >
        > In addition to performance, I will also report on the durability of
        > the jacket over the 4-month test period. I'll report on whether it
        > tears or fades over time. As well as how easy it is to keep clean and
        > if it holds on to odors and dirt. I'll also report on how easy it is
        > to pack and whether is holds up to being packed on the outside of my
        pack.

        > I want to thank BackpackGearTest.org and VersaLayer for giving me the

      • rami
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          Jennifer wrote:
          > Versalayer Ability FR - Jennifer Pope
          >
          > Rami-
          > Here's my FR. Unfortunately it's been pretty hot here. Hopefully
          > it'll get cooler in the next two months. Thanks for the edits.

          [[R:]]
          Hi Jennifer,

          I see that you're OOP, but this will keep until you get back. Hope you
          had fun on the boat!

          I only have one HTML edit for you, then please upload at will:

          Your second frame (Product Information) has two cells with different
          background color than the others;
          the first has the text "VersaLayer" in it (2nd cell down on right side),
          and the other is the one that has the text "Poly Microfleece / Tricot
          Mesh" (2nd from bottom on right).

          -r