Re: [backpackgeartesters] Double Rainbow: Worth a newbie applying?

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
      It is NEVER EVER NOT worth putting apps together - for one, it helps you
      with your app process - two it shows the moderators that you are willing to
      put extra time in to apply for something even though you don't feel you have
      a chance at it (or that you even KNOW you don't have a chance at it but you
      apply anyway).

      And who knows......you may get lucky.

      Jodi

      --
      Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child
      playing with matches.

      "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven
      Wright

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hey Jodi,

        As a Newbie myself, I will give you my 5 cents (I hear the penny is going away soon). I have written 24 applications since becoming a Newbie tester here on BGT, and have been selected for two tests. I knew for a fact on nearly all the test applications I wrote that I had no chance of being selected for the test series, but did it for practice and to show a committment to the folks here on BGT. My informal title of "Pesky Newbie" I think is well earned :) The BGT mods/poobahs are not all that interested (for obvious reasons) in giving out expensive pieces of gear to people they are just welcoming into the fold. We need to prove to them that we are committed to the testing process and wont simply run off with the cool new gear they hand over to us.

        When I look back at some of my early apps, I cringe, and learn from my early mistakes/missteps. Hopefully I have gotten better, but that will be something that others decide for me :) I say....apply away!

        Greg

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
          Even though you *may* (not will) be rejected this early on, the
          experience of writing the app will help tremendously in the future.
          Also, depending on the demographic desires of the manufacturer, you
          may be on of the three testers who meets their requirements.

          mike

          On Jul 3, 2006, at 9:25 AM, drewnc2005 wrote:

          > Hey all you experienced testers:
          >
          > I am just wondering if it is even worth putting together an
          > application to test a product such as the Double Rainbow given that I
          > have not completed a single test yet. I have read through other's apps
          > and see that most are experienced testers having completed between 5-
          > 10 items (at least), currently testing other items, and are either
          > mentors, editors, or in some other way involved with BGT. While I am
          > not an experienced tester in the sense of writing reports, etc., I am
          > an experienced tester in terms of actually using gear, knowing what I
          > like and don't like, and actually backpacking quite a bit.
          >
          > I would love to apply and put the time in if I knew I had a real
          > chance. But, on the other hand, if items like this are given to those
          > who are more involved with the site, (and I know this sounds lazy) I
          > don't really want to put in the time.
          >
          > Let me know your thoughts...
        • Mike Lipay
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
            On Jul 3, 2006, at 11:17 AM, J Cornelius wrote:

            > And who knows......you may get lucky.
            >
            > Jodi

            You are speaking app wise, right? ;-)

            mike
          • J Cornelius
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
              <looks innocent>

              Jodi

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                Woops. Sorry, I must have appended my message to your response by accident. I thought there was only one Jodi around here!

                Greg
                Pesky Newbie

                Subj: Re: [backpackgeartesters] Double Rainbow: Worth a newbie applying?
                Date: Mon Jul 3, 2006 11:42 am
                Size: 2K
                To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

                Good points (even tho I am not the one that was asking the question :-) So
                drewnc2005 (whomever you are :-) apply away

                Jodi, veteran

                --
                Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child
                playing with matches.

                "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven
                Wright

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                --- message truncated ---
              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006

                  --
                  Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child
                  playing with matches.

                  "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven
                  Wright

                • Jason Boyle
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                    Drew,

                    Here is my take as a test manager (the person who makes test calls
                    and picks the testers, moderators give final approval).

                    Apply for everything you think you can realistically test. For the
                    double rainbow, your chances are slim. Maybe your application will
                    be the best we have ever seen and you will get selected. Maybe not,
                    but this is what happens when you apply: We see your name, we read
                    your OR's and get an idea about you as a potential tester. The more
                    you apply the more we get to know you and see your dedication to the
                    group and the better your chance of being selected will be.

                    Second piece of advice: if there is a test where the one item newbie
                    limit does not apply and you can give it a good test, apply for it.
                    I have ran several newbie limit does not apply tests and ended up
                    selecting veterans because newbies DID NOT apply. These tests are
                    not always the most glamorous tests but it is still gear that needs
                    to be tested.

                    ok that is all for now,

                    Jason B
                  • J Cornelius
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                      No thang :-)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                        There is, but she suffers from MPD and all of them are named Jodi.

                        ;-)

                        mike, listening to the voices again

                      • gmehojah3@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                          Whew! At least I only have one name to remember :)

                          Subj: Re: [backpackgeartesters] Double Rainbow: Worth a newbie applying?
                          Date: Mon Jul 3, 2006 2:03 pm
                          Size: 584 bytes
                          To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

                          There is, but she suffers from MPD and all of them are named Jodi.

                          ;-)

                          mike, listening to the voices again

                          > Woops. Sorry, I must have appended my message to your response by
                          > accident. I thought there was only one Jodi around here!
                          >
                          > Greg
                          > Pesky Newbie

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • J Cornelius
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                            Pushing the envelope here Mike - we'd best hush now before we get spanked
                            for running away with this.

                            Jodi

                            --
                            Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child
                            playing with matches.

                            "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven
                            Wright

                          • Amanda Tikkanen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                              My $.02.

                              If it's a really good app, you might get selected even though you
                              are a newbie. My first app turned into my first test and it was a
                              pricey piece of gear. I've applied for smaller ticket items and got
                              them, and on some others I got denied. It happens. I'm not testing
                              much right now and may not do much "big ticket" (ie bags, weekend
                              packs, tents) this season (much to my dismay) since I may be doing
                              primarily day hikes/basecamps for a while (I find out this week if I
                              have to relocate for a new job or not). There's been a TON of stuff
                              I'd like to test (like the Double Rainbow--actually, I REALLY would
                              have liked the Rainbow) don't think I could test as well as others.

                              My advice: If there's something you can do a good job of testing,
                              apply. If you don't think you can give it a fair shake, hold off.

                              And with that, I'm off to finish my IR for the Play and Freeze...
                              already have two batches of ice cream down and have to eat some...
                              er... um... TEST some more!

                              -Amanda
                              http://www.uberpest.com
                            • Greg Mehojah
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
                                BTW, if anyone testing the Play and Freeze wants my super secret family
                                recipe for our famous Butter Finger ice cream, just drop me a note (making
                                some tomorrow, as is our 4th of July tradition).

                                Greg