FIELD REPORT - Ibex Men's Qu-T (Richard Lyon)

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
      Here is my Qu-T Field Report for your editing pleasure. I have posted
      the HTM version in the Tests folder. Stephanie, I request a two-day
      extension (to Sept 6) on my LTR as I have a backpacking trip scheduled
      for Labor Day weekend. Richard

      FIELD REPORT

      Ibex Men's Qu T
      Richard Lyon
      July 2, 2006

      PERSONAL DETAILS AND BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      Male, 59 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA

      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since 1986. I do a weeklong trip every summer, and often take
      three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at altitudes
      5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a
      long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my share of forced
      marches too. Though always looking for ways to reduce weight, I'm not
      yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose an extra pound or two over
      foregoing camp conveniences I've come to expect.

      PRODUCT DETAILS

      The Qu T is a featherweight merino wool short sleeve collarless shirt
      with a very tight weave. For a detailed description of styling,
      features, and construction see my Initial Report
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/Ibex%20Qu%20T/R\
      ichard%20Lyon/Initial%20Report/> .

      Manufacturer: Ibex Outdoor Clothing, LLC (www.ibex.com
      <http://www.ibex.com/> ). All quotations in this review come from
      Ibex's website.
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Material: 17.5 micron New Zealand merino wool
      MSRP: USD 79
      Intended use: "Everyday wear or as a decadent active top."
      Listed Weight, per Ibex website (size not specified): 6.4 oz (181 g)
      Measured weight, size XL: 6.5 oz (184 g)
      Available sizes: Men's S, M, L, XL, XXL
      Colors: Kingfisher (bright blue). Also available in heather grey, ivy,
      red pepper, and black.

      TESTING CONDITIONS

      In the field I have worn the Qu-T on fourteen different days. These
      included hiking and backpacking in the Texas Hill Country, at an
      altitude of about 500 feet (150 m) in early May, and in Wyoming in late
      May, at altitudes from 5000 to 8000 feet (1500 to 2400 m). Temperatures
      at both locations ranged from about 40 – 70 F (5 – 21 C). (It
      was unseasonably warm in Wyoming and unseasonably cool in Texas.)
      I've worn the shirt on day hikes in North Texas, altitude about 200
      ft (60 m), at temperatures from 80 – 95 F (27 – 35 C),
      throughout the last two months, and in Montana in mid-June at about 5000
      feet (1500 m), with temperatures from 55 – 85 F (13 – 29 C). I
      describe one other outdoor use below. Except for some scattered showers
      and a brief hailstorm on the Wyoming trip, the weather has been sunny
      with low humidity.

      In the gym (air conditioned) I've worn the Qu-T six times, always
      during one of my aerobic sessions, from 45 to 90 minutes on a spinning
      bike, moving stairs, or treadmill; one treadmill session was with a
      backpack.

      I report on one other indoor use, as an undershirt on two long overnight
      flights, in each case under a cotton denim long-sleeved shirt.

      Except for a special test, described below, I washed the Qu-T at home
      after every aerobic session or day hike, and at the end of each of the
      road trips. As recommended by Ibex, I used cold water, gentle cycle,
      and Sport-Wash
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Accessories/Atsko%20Sp\
      ort%20Wash%20and%20Water%20Guard/Richard%20G.%20Lyon/Long%20Term%20Repor\
      t/> , a non-detergent product, then air-dried the shirt flat. Because
      of its bright color I washed the shirt separately the first two times
      but thereafter simply included it with other woolen items. I
      hand-washed the shirt in a hotel room with some wool hiking socks, using
      a one-shot packet of Woolite. I have not yet washed the Qu-T in the
      field.

      RESULTS TO DATE

      Fit. My choice of size XL has proven to be correct, and that size is
      just about perfect for me. Day pack straps, and backpack straps on the
      overnight trips, haven't caused any stretching or other distortion.
      I have noticed no shrinkage after any washing; this is a benefit of
      air-drying. There's also been no expansion or distortion of the
      collar, often a problem for me with cotton shirts worn under a pack.
      The length of this shirt has meant that when I tuck it inside shorts or
      trousers, it stays tucked in – my ardent thanks to Ibex for not
      skimping on fabric.

      Comfort. I find nothing as comfortable as natural fibers, and when
      I'm hot and sweaty nothing beats merino wool. Sweat-soaked cotton
      tends to bunch up under pack straps, causing irritation and even minor
      abrasions, but not the Qu-T. Because it's wool it wicks, so the
      shirt has never felt completely saturated, even in the bright sun at 95
      F (35 C). I haven't detected the shirt's increasing my body
      temperature even under these conditions. On summer evenings it's
      soft and silky.

      Smell. Since I didn't have a multi-day backpack during the initial
      test period, I contrived conditions to test whether the Qu-T would pick
      up an odor from me or (as has been my experience with synthetic shirts)
      develop its own. Over Memorial Day weekend (late May) I wore the Qu-T
      to my hour-long spinning class Saturday morning, kept it on for a couple
      of hours of clearing flood debris in my back yard, then kept it on for a
      five mile day hike later that day. I took a shower at this point, but
      didn't wash the Qu-T, which I wore for another day hike on Sunday
      and a ninety-minute Stairmaster session on Monday. Outdoor temperatures
      were in the 90s F (30+ C), and I was sweaty and smelly after each
      session. While the Qu-T wasn't odorless – it had the odor of
      wet wool - it wasn't pungent either. Very impressive. I noted
      comparable results after the red-eye flights, when I always wake up
      sweaty and smelling and feeling slightly rank.

      Durability. After what I consider moderate use and several washings, it
      looks like new. I was hoping for some fading of its bright blue color,
      but that hasn't happened yet.

      Appearance. The Qu-T is the perfect weight for wearing under a
      lightweight sport coat on a warm summer evening as "dressy
      casual" wear. Its semi-raglan shoulders make it much more stylish
      than an everyday t-shirt, whether worn in this manner or by itself with
      shorts in more casual circumstances.

      FURTHER TESTING

      The remainder of the test period will permit evaluation of this shirt in
      more rugged circumstances. I have a weeklong backpack in the Swan
      Range, Montana during the first week of August, during which I'll be
      doing trail maintenance and other backcountry work as a Forest Service
      volunteer. I expect daytime temperatures in the 50s through 80s F (~10
      - 30 C) in the high country, with nighttime taking things down to
      freezing or somewhat below. On this trip I shall wear the Qu T as a
      base layer under a shirt or sweater, sole upper body garment during the
      day, and backcountry sleepwear. Over Labor Day weekend (first weekend
      in September) I have a combination hiking – fishing trip in Paradise
      Valley, Montana and Yellowstone Park. While temperatures comparable to
      those in the Swan Range are normal, considerably cooler weather is
      possible. These trips should permit observation of the Qu-T after an
      all-day hike and some bushwhacking, after a couple of days of manual
      labor, after exposure to brush and trail dust, and perhaps in the rain
      under a Gore-Tex shell. I'll also see how easily I can wash it and
      how quickly it dries in the backcountry.

      I'll continue to wear the Qu-T during indoor exercise and on day
      hikes in Texas.

      LIKES

      Durability - stout construction and surprisingly robust fabric
      Light weight
      Wicking ability
      It doesn't stink after even the sweatiest exercise.
      It looks great.

      DISLIKES

      Very little. Perhaps air drying, in the front country.

      My thanks to Ibex and BGT for the opportunity to test this wonderful

    • TheMiddleSister
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
        Richard,

        Do you have pictures? If not, please add a picture from the Ibex website and attribute credit to Ibex. Then, just one tiny nit/comment and feel free to upload to the proper folder (please delete your test file, too). Nice report.

        Kathy

        Comfort. ...

        I haven't detected the shirt's increasing my body temperature even under these conditions.

        Edit: This sentence reads a bit odd to me. The word "shirt's" doesn't sound quite right. The "shirt" is not used as a possessive is it? As a contraction, it doesn't seem to be right, either. Just plain "shirt" would work, no?

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
          As best I can recolect, the picture is only required in the IR.
          That said, I prefer to see one in all three reports and for the FR
          and LTR an actual photo or few of the gear in use...

          Coy Boy

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "TheMiddleSister"
          <TheMiddleSister@...> wrote:

          > Richard,
          >
          > Do you have pictures? If not, please add a picture from the Ibex
          website and attribute credit to Ibex. Then, just one tiny
          nit/comment and feel free to upload to the proper folder (please
          delete your test file, too). Nice report.

          > Kathy
          text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
            At 07:47 AM 7/07/2006, you wrote:
            >Richard,
            >
            >Do you have pictures? If not, please add a picture from the Ibex
            >website and attribute credit to Ibex.

            Hi Kathy

            FYI a photo is only required in the Initial Report, not the Field or Long-term.

            Regards
            Sir Andrew
          • richardglyon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
              Kathy,
              I didn't get this until today, as I've been traveling and the
              digests don't go to my blackberry. As a result I've read the
              followup emails too and will upload without a picture. By the way
              lack of a picture results from a new computer that I haven't yet
              configured to post my pictures, a shortcoming that has also delayed
              a couple of ORs. I promise to include some pictures in my LTR; as
              I'm scheduled to be in Montana several times over the next two
              months I'll try to work in some good backgrounds.
              As for the comment, I shall explain to you offline why "shirt's" is
              gramatically correct, as I have in the past been justly chastised by
              Sir Andrew for arguing the finer points of English grammar in this
              space. As I believe our (Andrew's) policy is now to allow anything
              commonly accepted, even if not technically correct (such as a split
              infinitive), I shall go ahead and upload. Richard

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2006
                Richard,

                Fine by me! Also, pictures are not required in the FR anyway (mea culpa) - so no biggie! I envy you Montana!

                http://www.eset.com