Re: New Question on modifying product or test

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2006
      i'm not a mod, either, but this is information that IMO absolutely
      should be included in a report. this is a case where a tester has
      clearly identified an area that they feel can be improved with a very
      simple (and optional for the user) solution. if the pack wasn't
      working optimally for Andy, then sure he could just say "dang, this
      pack isn't comfortable above 20 pounds," and offer no solution to
      that, or he could do as he has done here. i think it makes BGT much
      more useful (to both readers and manufacturers) to include this kind
      of information.

      -colleen

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...> wrote:

      > my gut says this is good info and more importantly, needed info. my
      > other gut (not sure if it's the upper or lower intestine) say no.
      > Maybe a Mod with a cast iorn stomach can answer more precisly...
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Rad" <aisrad@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Question in relation to modifying the product or test.
      > >
      > > Is the subsequent paragraph of my FR acceptable for the Six Moons
      > > Essence Pack? I intend on continuing to try the pack without the
      > > sternum strap in the field, as my pack weight varies and on how I
      > > pack it. Thus far I find the Sternum strap as advantageous.
      > >

      > > FR PARAGRAPH IN QUESTION:
      > > My first trip was 25 lbs (11 kg) in the Snake River Canyon, and I
      > > found that my shoulders were carrying more weight than I desired,
      > > thus making the pack feel heavy. By making up a sternum strap with
      > > some cord, it felt as though more weight shifted to my hips. Upon
      > > returning home I made up a sternum strap from nylon webbing and a
      > > buckle. Since the shoulder straps already have a vertical nylon web
      > > spot stitched over the padding, improvising was easy. I tried going
      > > without the sternum strap on a subsequent trip into Central Idaho
      > > Mountains with 23 lbs (10.5 kg), and again found I prefer the
      > > strap. I would recommend that Six Moons install a sternum strap,
      > > because the customer can always remove it if they prefer to go
      > > without.
      > >
      > > Andy Rad

    • Andy Rad
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
        I'm posting the original question again, as I didn't receive any
        official feedback. I figured it probably got lost during the
        holiday.

      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
          In a message dated 7/6/2006 1:32:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          aisrad@... writes:

[...]

          ###############

          Andy,

          I'll take a shot at your question, as the other mods seem to be otherwise
          occupied at the moment. I saw your initial post, but it is a gray enough area
          that I thought I'd pass!

          Here we go:

          I think your comments and use of the add-on sternum strap are fine. You have
          not 'modified' the pack, but rather added what is an aftermarket option to
          it. Removable sternum straps are an inexpensive item. I ordered one from
          Campmor several years ago for an older pack that did not come with one. I find that
          I strongly prefer the strap on all my packs, even small ones.

          That said, your report should focus on the use of the pack without the
          sternum strap add-on. If you feel that the pack is uncomfortable without the
          sternum strap, by all means say so. Explain why. Mention if the level of
          discomfort changes with pack weight, etc. I would also mention that you found an easy
          fix with your own sternum strap add-on (whether home-made or store bought).
          Feel free to suggest that, in your opinion, a sternum strap should be either
          standard or an ordering option.

          Watch for possible further comment from Andrew when he returns from his hike.

          Jim S.

          Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of
          the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
            I'm obviously not a moderator, but in my opinion that information is
            really useful. As long as you use it both ways and report on the
            differences, I would think it should be acceptable. You aren't
            really "modifying" the pack itself, or changing it on a permanent
            basis. Sternum straps are commonly sold separately as an add-on
            item by outfitters, so I look at it in rather the same manner as if
            you added a pocket to the shoulder strap to add a cell phone, or a
            water bottle holder to the hip-belt. Of course, a moderator may see
            it differently...

            Pam Wyant

            wrote:

            > I'm posting the original question again, as I didn't receive any
            > official feedback. I figured it probably got lost during the
            > holiday.
            >

            > Question in relation to modifying the product or test
            >
            > Is the subsequent paragraph of my FR acceptable for the Six Moons
            > Essence Pack? I intend on continuing to try the pack without the
            > sternum strap in the field, as my pack weight varies and on how I
            > pack it. Thus far I find the Sternum strap as advantageous.
            >

            > FR PARAGRAPH IN QUESTION:
            > My first trip was 25 lbs (11 kg) in the Snake River Canyon, and I
            > found that my shoulders were carrying more weight than I desired,
            > thus making the pack feel heavy. By making up a sternum strap
            with
            > some cord, it felt as though more weight shifted to my hips. Upon
            > returning home I made up a sternum strap from nylon webbing and a
            > buckle. Since the shoulder straps already have a vertical nylon
            web
            > spot stitched over the padding, improvising was easy. I tried
            going
            > without the sternum strap on a subsequent trip into Central Idaho
            > Mountains with 23 lbs (10.5 kg), and again found I prefer the
            > strap. I would recommend that Six Moons install a sternum strap,
            > because the customer can always remove it if they prefer to go
            > without.
            >
            > Andy Rad

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
              At 02:13 AM 7/07/2006, you wrote:

              >Andy,
              >
              >I'll take a shot at your question, as the other mods seem to be otherwise
              >occupied at the moment. I saw your initial post, but it is a gray
              >enough area
              >that I thought I'd pass!
              >
              >Here we go:
              >
              >I think your comments and use of the add-on sternum strap are fine. You have
              >not 'modified' the pack, but rather added what is an aftermarket option to
              >it. Removable sternum straps are an inexpensive item. I ordered one from
              >Campmor several years ago for an older pack that did not come with
              >one. I find that
              >I strongly prefer the strap on all my packs, even small ones.
              >
              >That said, your report should focus on the use of the pack without the
              >sternum strap add-on. If you feel that the pack is uncomfortable without the
              >sternum strap, by all means say so. Explain why. Mention if the level of
              >discomfort changes with pack weight, etc. I would also mention that
              >you found an easy
              >fix with your own sternum strap add-on (whether home-made or store bought).
              >Feel free to suggest that, in your opinion, a sternum strap should be either
              >standard or an ordering option.
              >
              >Watch for possible further comment from Andrew when he returns from his hike.

              Dear Andy and Jim

              I think Jim's answer covers things well. The focus should be on how
              the pack was shipped but I understand the comfort issue.

              Sir Andrew