FR - Sierra Designs Baku 2 - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2006
      Here's my FR for the Baku 2 Tent. The html version has been
      uploaded in the test/TESTS folder. Thanks for the edits.

      Andy

      Biographical Information
      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86.2 kg)
      Email address: a_henrichs@...
      City, State, Country: Carbondale, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background
      Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and
      Wyoming, as well as the desert in the southwestern US. I've gone
      winter camping several times, but I still prefer backpacking in the
      warmer months. Most of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken
      several trips of 5-6 days. This past summer, I was fortunate enough
      to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over 35 days.
      Recently, I have been leaning towards the lightweight side of the
      spectrum.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs (www.sierradesigns.com)
      Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      MSRP: $289.95 US

      Manufacturers Specifications
      Stated Trail Weight: 4 lb 0 oz (1.8 kg)
      Stated Packed Weight: 4 lb 7 oz (2.0 kg)
      Stated Packed Size: 21 in by 5 in (53 cm by 13 cm)
      Stated Floor Length: 83 in (211 cm)
      Stated Floor Width (narrow side): 45 in (114 cm)
      Stated Floor Width (wide side): 52 in (132 cm)
      Stated Interior Area: 28 sq ft (2.6 sq m)
      Stated Vestibule Area (each): 7 sq ft (.7 sq m)
      Stated Peak Height: 40 in (102 cm)

      Tester Measurements
      Measured Weight (as delivered): 4 lb 7.5 oz (2.0 kg)
      Measured Trail Weight: 4 lb 0.5 oz (1.8 kg)
      Measured Weight (tent body): 3 lb 2 oz (1.4 kg)
      Measured Weight (poles): 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Measured Weight (stuff sack total): 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Measured Weight (6 stakes): 3.5 oz (99 g)
      Measured Weight (guy lines): 1.5 oz (43 g)
      Measured Packed Size (uncompressed): 21 in by 6 in (53 cm by 15 cm)
      Measured Packed Size (compressed): 15 in by 7 in (38 cm by 18 cm)
      Measured Floor Length: 82 in (208 cm)
      Measured Floor Width (narrow side): 45 in (114 cm)
      Measured Floor Width (wide side): 51.5 in (131 cm)
      Measured Interior Area: 29.3 sq ft (2.7 sq m)
      Measured Vestibule Area (each): 7.1 sq ft (.7 sq m)
      Measured Peak Height: 38 in (97 cm)

      Product Description
      The Baku 2 Tent is a new addition to Sierra Designs "Ultralight
      Tents" category. It is a hybrid of single and double-wall tents.
      This free-standing tent assembles when the ends of the two aluminum
      Featherlight poles are inserted into the grommets on diagonal
      corners of the tent. Small plastic "Clip Locs" are then clipped to
      the tent. There is a short third pole for the apex of the tent.
      This pole inserts into two tabs located on the top of the tent,
      giving shape to the very top. There is a larger "Clip Loc" on the
      apex of the tent. All three poles are passed through the clip, and
      a short elastic cord is wrapped around the poles before locking into
      a groove. The more wraps of the elastic cord, the more stability is
      created. The tent body floor is roughly rectangular, and the two
      long sides of the tent feature a dual-zippered, full-circle
      mesh "stash door" as well as a fixed triangular vestibule. With the
      four corners and the two vestibule tabs staked out, the tent assumes
      a hexagonal shape when viewed from above. Regardless of which
      zipper one uses to unzip the mesh door, the zipper terminates in the
      upper-right hand side of the door. There is a small mesh pocket
      inside the tent body where the user can tuck the door into when it
      is open. Each vestibule features a dual-zipper that contours along
      the tent body from the floor to the apex of the tent. The vestibule
      door can be rolled up and secured out of the way. The tent features
      two vents; one on each of the shorter sides. One vent is located
      midway up the wall, the other is located near the top of the tent.
      Each features a small mesh opening which is propped up with a short
      internal pole and anchored into place with a hook and loop closure.
      These vents are also anchored closed with hook and loop closures.
      In addition to the "stash door" pockets, there is one medium-sized
      pocket located just above floor level. There are also four loops on
      the ceiling for a gear loft, coffee sling, etc. The tent comes with
      six metal stakes and four guy lines, each measuring 75 in (191 cm).
      It also comes with instructions in English only. The instructions
      include information about pitching the tent, site selection,
      ventilation, and several general maintenance issues.

      Field Testing
      I've been fortunate enough to test this tent on many occasions
      already. I've used this tent for one overnight backpacking trip, a
      five-day backpacking/climbing/mountaineering trip, and approximately
      six nights of car camping. Settings have ranged from high desert to
      remote alpine basins to sub-alpine forests and meadows. Elevations
      on these trips ranged from 4500 ft (1400 m) to 12200 ft (3700 m).
      Night time temperatures ranged from approximately 30º F (-1º C) to
      50º F (10º C). Weather encountered on these trips has included
      clear skies, threatening clouds, moderate wind, no wind, graupel
      (small, soft snow pellets), light drizzle, and a torrential
      downpour.

      My observations of the Sierra Designs Baku 2 Tent are as follows:
      1. Ease of Set-Up - This tent is very easy to set up. I don't
      have to struggle to get the pole tips into the grommets, and there
      are only six stake-out points, making it easy to anchor the tent
      down. I haven't had to set the tent up in the dark, but given my
      experiences thus far, I'm not too worried about it. After locating
      the appropriate grommets, it's just a matter of clipping the "Clip
      Locs" to the pole. Setting the tent up in high winds concerns me a
      little bit, particularly if I'm alone. Once both poles are inserted
      into the grommets and clipped to the "Clip Locs", the tent has a
      substantial side profile. This acts as a moderate-sized sail until
      I get a couple stakes to anchor it down. The tent hasn't blown off
      any ledges so far, but I've had to be quick and careful when setting
      it up in the wind. I'll have to see if this continues to be a
      concern.
      2.   Living Space – I like the living space provided by this tent.
      When I've used it solo, it's been near palatial. When used with two
      people, it's very adequate. The double vestibules play a big part
      in providing enough living space. I have noticed that if I don't
      have the tent staked out taut, either the head or foot of my
      sleeping bag touch the end walls of the tent. This isn't a problem
      if I'm solo, as I can sleep diagonally, but it does pose a problem
      when sharing the tent with a friend in wet weather. On my longest
      trip, I shared the tent with a friend with a build similar to me.
      We were definitely cozy, but neither of us felt cramped.
      3.  Vestibule – I'm pretty impressed with the vestibules, provided
      they are staked out taut. I could easily fit a 4000 cu in (66 L)
      pack under the vestibule. I also had spare room for hiking shoes, a
      rock climbing helmet, and my camp sandals, all the while leaving me
      plenty of room to get into and out of the tent. My friend was able
      to fit the same under his vestibule. One small quibble that I have
      with the vestibule actually pertains to the ball and loop used to
      fasten the vestibule out of the way when it's rolled up. It would
      be nice if each strap were just a little longer. I've had problems
      unhooking the vestibule when I'm rushed, have only one free hand, or
      cold hands.
      4. Breathability/Ventilation – This is my first experience with a
      single wall tent. So far, I have mixed feelings. When it's dry
      out, the tent is fabulous. When I'm solo and there is a light rain,
      it's pretty good. When I have a friend along and there's some form
      of precipitation, I'm less than thrilled. The two small vents are
      great as long as there is wind to ventilate the tent. When the
      weather looks like it will cooperate, I'll unzip one or both of the
      zipper from the top to increase ventilation. In these situations,
      there is no condensation at all. If there is no breeze and I'm
      solo, sleeping with the vestibules completely closed, there is some
      condensation in the morning. If there is no breeze and I'm with a
      friend, sleeping with the vestibules completely closed, there is
      more condensation in the morning. Any time that it really rains and
      I have to leave the vestibules closed, there is a lot of
      condensation in the morning. Unfortunately, this condensation likes
      to drip from the ceiling onto me any time the tent is bumped. This
      makes entering and exiting the tent a tenuous dance to avoid getting
      wet.
      5. Waterproofness – The siliconized 40-denier nylon is very
      waterproof. All of the moisture that I've encountered on the inside
      of the nylon is condensation. I haven't found any leaking seams
      yet. After my first storm (without a groundsheet under the tent), I
      looked at the floor and thought "Oh no, the floor is soaked!" Upon
      closer inspection, I realized that the underside of the SuperSeal
      floor must be soaked, but the moisture never penetrated into the
      tent itself. Regardless, I have started using a thin plastic
      groundsheet to protect the floor from punctures, if nothing else.
      6. Stability – The Sierra Designs Baku 2 has not let me down in
      the wind. I experienced several strong gusts, as well as a moderate
      sustained wind when camping above treeline. I decided to guy out
      the windward side of the tent when initially faced with this wind,
      but I soon realized that it wasn't necessary. Once staked out, this
      tent is rock solid in the wind.
      7. Durability – The tent seems very durable so far. Even after
      approximately eight nights use without a protective groundsheet, I
      never experienced any holes in the material. As for zipper
      durability, the only problem that I've noticed with the zippers is
      that the vestibule zippers tent to get caught on the material
      covering the zipper if I'm not careful.
      8. Packability – The Baku 2 fits into my backpack very well. It's
      packed size seems fairly similar, if not slightly smaller than,
      other tents I've used. I do wish that the provided stuff sack had a
      small handle sewn onto the bottom. This minor detail makes it much
      easier to pull the stuff sack out of a stuffed backpack.
      9. Organizational Simplicity – I'm fairly happy with the gear
      pockets. I find myself using the "stash door" pockets more for gear
      than the door itself. The medium-sized pocket located just above
      the floor is nice, but it would be really nice if there were one
      more of these pockets, particularly when there are two occupants in
      the tent.
      10. Smell – Well, call it habit, but I haven't been able to make
      myself store this tent wet to test the "Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh"
      fungistatic agent. If it's any consolation, this tent has been wet
      a lot and I haven't noticed any funky smells. I'll see if I can
      bring myself to commit this wet-tent storing sacrilege in the next
      couple months.
      Thank you to Sierra Designs and BackpackGearTest.org for giving me
      the opportunity to test this tent.