RE: [backpackgeartesters] Re: Question

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 20, 2006
      I watched cricket when I lived in England. Right after watching paint dry,
      it is one of the fastest moving, most exciting sports I've ever seen......
      =o)

      Man, I thought *baseball* was slow and boring.... ;o)

      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
        <puts head in hands and slowly shakes it while moaning> Please, please
        don't do that.....lol.

        David, please never admit in public that you have ever done that.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        if you really don't want to use them, find some nice rocky soil to set up on
        and 'hammer' the stakes in with a hatchet/hammer/big rock - my Ti nail
        stakes are the only stakes that have held up to that treatment so far...
        Cheers, David

        PS official policy on this sort of thing could probably go in the survival
        guide...
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
          Oh....I thought he was talking about croquet..... ;o)

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          > > to the wicket and take a fast ball or two :-)
          >
          > Is that like stepping up to the plate??
          >
          > Jeff, confused American :p

          Jeff,

          Yes, Andrew is trying to be sophisticated and use cricket terms with us.
          Silly Aussie

          Jason B

          Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/60TolB/TM
        • David
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
            Nah, I'm not out to destroy my gear, testing or otherwise. I
            meant 'destroying' the stakes in the context of setting the tent up
            normally in certain campgrounds (one particular being Emigrant CG in
            DeVa, down in Ray's neck of the woods) where strong winds +
            compacted marble+-sized 'gravel'(partly due to motorhomes parking
            there illegally) leads to special needs as far as tent stakes, and
            I've bent/snapped a variety of stakes that I carried just trying to
            get the tent anchored since I was stuck setting up in that
            soil/campground/campsite etc.

            So what is the official policy then on stake, stuff sack/storage
            sack, and other accessory use? That was the point of the original
            post I believe. If someone normally rolls a tent up and just stuffs
            it in a pack, should they change there ways and carry 3-4
            extra 'sacks' included with the tent? or use the cheap hooked nail
            stakes to set up in snow? I know in the past people have complained
            about stuff sacks/compression sacks for sleeping bags, and
            personally, one of the useful things that comes out of these reports
            is just what size stuff sack stuff can be fit in since
            mfg 'estimates' are typically way off (and not always pack-friendly
            length/width ratios)...Occasionally mfgs do include appropriate
            equiptment - the GoLite Hex2 Bex tested years ago came with good
            stakes and reasonable size (w/ build-in stake pocket), while others,
            the SD Assault I tested came with several stuff sacks I never used
            and stakes that wouldn't hold up in almost any of the conditions I
            tested (snow or dirt)...

            /early morning rant...
            Cheers, David

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
            <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

            > <puts head in hands and slowly shakes it while moaning> Please,
            please
            > don't do that.....lol.
            >
            > David, please never admit in public that you have ever done that.
            >
            > Jerry
            >

            > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive
            interactive gear
            > reviews and tests on the planet.
            >

            > if you really don't want to use them, find some nice rocky soil to
            set up on
            > and 'hammer' the stakes in with a hatchet/hammer/big rock - my Ti
            nail
            > stakes are the only stakes that have held up to that treatment so
            far...
            > Cheers, David
            >
            > PS official policy on this sort of thing could probably go in the
            survival
            > guide...

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davese@...> wrote:

              > So what is the official policy then on stake, stuff sack/storage
              > sack, and other accessory use? That was the point of the original
              > post I believe. If someone normally rolls a tent up and just stuffs
              > it in a pack, should they change there ways and carry 3-4
              > extra 'sacks' included with the tent? or use the cheap hooked nail
              > stakes to set up in snow?

              My non-BGT-honcho two cents. We're required 5 test nights for the
              gear. If we use all the accessories for 5 nights, we've met the
              minimum. After that point, it may be good for testing to be able to
              say, "I used these stakes, and they worked better because..." That
              may be valuable info the potential customers and to the manufacturer.
              Even if it means they choose to longer ship with stakes b/c there's a
              wide range of preference based on conditions, location, season, etc.
              But you've already met the minimum test standards so you have a basis
              to use when commenting on the original equipment.

              Jeff
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                I think one should use all the gear that came with the product.

                Brian

                > So what is the official policy then on stake, stuff sack/storage
                > sack, and other accessory use?
              • Rick D.
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                  He said "fast ball" while actually bowling us a googly ;-P

                  --Rick

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                    I *hate* it when that happens.....

                    <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                    > Oh....I thought he was talking about croquet..... ;o)
                    >
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive
                    interactive gear
                    > reviews and tests on the planet.

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/60TolB/TM
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                      > So what is the official policy then on stake, stuff sack/storage
                      > sack, and other accessory use? That was the point of the original
                      > post I believe. If someone normally rolls a tent up and just stuffs
                      > it in a pack, should they change there ways and carry 3-4
                      > extra 'sacks' included with the tent? or use the cheap hooked nail
                      > stakes to set up in snow? I know in the past people have complained
                      > about stuff sacks/compression sacks for sleeping bags, and
                      > personally, one of the useful things that comes out of these reports
                      > is just what size stuff sack stuff can be fit in since
                      > mfg 'estimates' are typically way off (and not always pack-friendly
                      > length/width ratios)...Occasionally mfgs do include appropriate
                      > equiptment - the GoLite Hex2 Bex tested years ago came with good
                      > stakes and reasonable size (w/ build-in stake pocket), while others,
                      > the SD Assault I tested came with several stuff sacks I never used
                      > and stakes that wouldn't hold up in almost any of the conditions I
                      > tested (snow or dirt)...

                      Andrew gave you a good answer. Allow me to expand on it.

                      When possible - even if aggravating - you should test the gear as provided.

                      If the carry method doesn't suit your style, then indicate that, and repack
                      the item to suit your packing style. If the stuff sack is 2" wide, and 30'
                      long, then note that it sucks and carry it as you like. We could really
                      care less how you carry the tent. Everyone is going to carry it
                      differently. How the tent is arranged in your pack isn't germane to the
                      function of the tent as a tent. Other items (like bear cans) may be
                      different. Use common sense.

                      If the accessories suck, note it. Document why. Try to use them.
                      Understand that not everyone in the world has a closet full of spare gear
                      that they can mix and match to make the item work for them.

                      If the accessory is appropriate for your condition, then use it and report
                      on it.

                      If the accessory is necessary for the function of the item, then definitely
                      use it.

                      My Tarptent Virga came with poles, but the front pole could be replaced with
                      a hiking pole if desired. I tested it both ways. It was silly for me to
                      carry the extra pole, but I did, because I needed to be able to test it in
                      the field. After I was satisfied with it, I switched modes and gave good
                      detail on both setups.

                      If the accessory is not key to the function of the item, and not suitable to
                      your conditions, then you aren't *required* to use it. I hated the zipper
                      fobs on the Gregory pack I tested. Since the fobs made absolutely no
                      difference in the use of the pack, I cut them off after the LTR report was
                      done. For the most part, I didn't use them, but there they were...

                      My Tarptent Virga came with nice Ti wire stakes. I camp on soft, loamy
                      soil. The wire stakes are completely inappropriate for the condition. I
                      noted it, and used my big plastic stakes.

                      Are stakes functionally important to how the shelter performs? No. If the
                      shelter blows away because you used the wrong stakes, then it's kind of hard
                      to test it properly.

                      If you have nice Ti stakes that you really like, but the tent you get to
                      test comes with cheap wire stakes, then you shouldn't just swap them out.
                      You should use the stakes that came with because they are appropriate for
                      the condition.

                      Does that make enough sense? Any other questions?

                      Shane
                    • rayestrella1
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                        OK guys,

                        I will carry the stock sacks until the test is over.

                        Thanks for the clarifications,

                        Ray
                      • Thomas Vickers
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 30, 2006
                          Andrew and others,

                          I have two reports that are late being uploaded and I have two that are due
                          on Tuesday.
                          Merrell Ventilators and Unslack Pack are the Tuesday reports.

                          Right Now I am dealing with my old friend Mr. Kidney Stones and will
                          probably be sedated for most of the weekend, knowing my luck.

                          Once I can work without screaming, I will get these things ALL DONE. The
                          tuesday reports may not be late, but I was planning on finishing them this
                          weekend.

                          TV
                        • Andrew Priest
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 7 2:44 AM

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 7 2:45 AM
                              At 02:05 PM 30/06/2006, you wrote:
                              > Yes, Andrew is trying to be sophisticated and use cricket terms
                              >with us. Silly Aussie

                              LOL .... touchy :-)

                              Andrew
                            • Andrew Priest
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 7 2:46 AM
                                At 03:38 PM 30/06/2006, you wrote:
                                >Oh....I thought he was talking about croquet..... ;o)

                                Nasty :-)

                                Andrew
                              • Andrew Priest
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 7 2:48 AM
                                  At 12:20 AM 1/07/2006, you wrote:
                                  >He said "fast ball" while actually bowling us a googly ;-P

                                  Well said Rick. I am very impressed. I was going to mention a googly
                                  but couldn't work out the spelling!

                                  Andrew
                                • Andrew Priest
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 8 1:41 AM
                                    At 05:48 PM 7/07/2006, you wrote:
                                    >At 12:20 AM 1/07/2006, you wrote:
                                    > >He said "fast ball" while actually bowling us a googly ;-P
                                    >
                                    >Well said Rick. I am very impressed. I was going to mention a googly
                                    >but couldn't work out the spelling!

                                    Should have instead referred to a wrong'un or a Chinaman :-)

                                    Andrew
                                  • S
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                      Do ridiculous website errors ever get pointed out to the manufacturers during these tests? I
                                      think I've found at least one on every test. For instance, I was just looking up the measured
                                      depth and "with" of the Enduro headlamp.

                                      http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=75#tabs
                                    • Coy
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 8, 2007
                                        Yes, but always keep in mind, we are reviewing the product and not
                                        the website (repeating what you already know). I know it is
                                        aggrivating. I have had some gear that reported the weight as one
                                        thing on the website, another weight in another location on the
                                        website and a 3rd weight on the hang tag. I pointed this out. For
                                        mispelling, I usually either correct them (without making a note) or
                                        point them out with the use of [sic] without any corrections.

                                        from wikipedia

                                        "Sic is a Latin word, originally sicut [1] meaning "thus", "so",
                                        or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets
                                        and usually italicized — [sic] — to indicate that an incorrect or
                                        unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted
                                        material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is
                                        not a transcription error.[2]"

                                        Anyways, try to keep it brief and if it is not important then just
                                        don't report it.

                                        Coy Boy