Ted R-D Application to test the Henry Shires’ Double Rainbow Tent

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2006
      I'm hoping to get in a few days backpacking this coming weekend, so
      I'm feeling my app now. Thanks!

      Ted.

      ******

      Application to test the Henry Shires' Double Rainbow Tent

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide
      (version v. 1202 as of 09/10/04) and I agree to comply with all these
      requirements as a tester. I also have a signed tester agreement on file.

      Edward Ripley-Duggan
      53 years old
      Male
      6 ft 1 inches tall (1.85 meters)
      215 lb (98 kg)
      erd <at> wilsey.net
      Catskill Region, New York State

      Reviewer Background
      I enjoy walking in all its manifold forms, from a simple stroll in the
      woods to multi-day backpack excursions. Though by no means an extreme
      ultralight enthusiast, from spring to fall my preference is to carry a
      packweight of 12 lb (5.5 kg), more or less. In recent years, I've
      rapidly moved to a philosophy of "lighter is better," within the
      constraints of budget and common sense.

      Testing locations and conditions.

      Catskills, Adirondacks, and the mid-Hudson valley region, from summer
      to early/mid fall. In the Catskills and Adirondacks, I expect the
      daily temperatures over the test period to range from daytime highs of
      85 F (29 C) to 50 F (10 C). Nighttime temperatures will likely be from
      55 F (13 C) to (possibly) around freezing towards the end of the test
      period, at elevation. In the Catskills and Adirondacks, I will be
      sleeping at elevations to 3500 ft (1070 m). I hike most weekends and
      occasional weekdays, with frequent backpacking forays interspersed,
      though I can't offer a schedule, as I go as chance and time permit,
      usually twice a month, for anything from an overnight to a multi-day
      hike. As I live among mountains, such spur-of-the-moment trips are
      more the rule than the exception. A longer summer trip is a strong
      possibility, as time this year permits. This has been a wet summer so
      far, and I suspect plenty of opportunities to test the tent in rain
      will arise.

      Deer ticks, the vector for Lyme disease, are abundant in some of my
      region (especially Harriman State Park). I will not share my tent with
      slugs, either. I would most certainly want the version with a floor.

      Preamble

      I have admired Henry Shires' tents for several years, and have visited
      his website regularly, as I've been fascinated by the way he has
      experimented and tweaked his designs. I've not yet purchased one of
      his Tarptents, in large part because I would feel greedy buying yet
      another shelter, as I own more than a few tents (but see below).

      Of the tents I do use regularly, my lightest single-wall shelter
      weighs in at about 20 oz (it's a silnylon Dancing Light Brawny
      Tarptent). I've found it to be awkward to erect under many conditions.
      This is especially true on terrain with large rocks hidden under duff,
      of the kind found in much of the Catskills. Invariably, while setting
      up the tent, I find a boulder at a spot where it is absolutely crucial
      to put a peg in order to achieve a reasonably taut pitch. The light
      weight is admirable, but this is a fairly minimalist shelter.

      I am also a long-time fan of the Sierra Designs Divine Lightning, and
      I own two of this now-discontinued beauty, but I use them primarily
      during winter, with occasional use through spring and fall. Neither of
      the two tent designs I've noted is free-standing. In fact I don't
      currently own such a thing, in part because such tents tend to be
      heavier, though this is clearly not the case with the Double Rainbow.

      I'm especially intrigued by the fact that this tent may be used either
      free-standing or fully staked. This is a wonderful idea. If I'm on
      terrain that's tough for staking, weather conditions permitting, I can
      erect the tent free-standing. If I'm on a surface that takes stakes
      easily, I may opt to use the staked pitch. Throw in an experimental
      liner tent, as mentioned in the test call, and I must have died and
      gone to heaven…. I love the design of the Double Rainbow, as well:
      with the back wall and beak guyed out, this looks like the tent Frank
      Gehry would have designed, if Gehry designed tents.

      I will test the tent both as a one-person shelter (I'm a big guy and I
      like my space, for three-season camping at least) and as a two-person,
      with one of my kids or maybe a tolerant friend who can stand my snoring.

      Testing issues

      Free-standing mode

      A weight of "under 2 1/2 pounds (1125 g)" is cited on the Shires website.
      Does the Double Rainbow use trekking poles in the same manner as the
      Rainbow? How well will my trekking poles (currently a pair of Black
      Diamond Terra CF) work with the tent?
      Can the tent be made free-standing with improvised poles? How easily
      do poles (in general) attach to the Double Rainbow? Is the arrangement
      for attaching adjustable in order to optimize tension and pitch?
      How much additional guying is necessary for security in windy
      conditions? How many guy-out points does the Double Rainbow have? How
      far do they extend from the tent (this in terms of the overall tent
      footprint)?
      What's the initial pitching time in this configuration? After practice?

      Staked mode

      What type of stakes are supplied, if any? Do they hold well in duff?
      Do they blunt or bend on rocks?
      Are guylines supplied, and if so, what type? What type of tensioner is
      used? What is the minimum number of guy-out points needed to support
      the tent in wind?
      Is the pitch of equal quality (in terms of tautness etc. with either
      pitching method, or is one method optimal?
      What's the initial pitching time in this configuration? After practice?

      Erecting tent (general considerations)

      Does the Double Rainbow use two poles, as the Rainbow does? What pole
      type is used (e.g. Easton, CF, etc.)? Are the poles easily inserted in
      their sleeves? Can the tent be partially staked before inserting the
      pole when wind is blowing the fabric around (this can make erecting
      any lightweight tent a bit vexing)?
      Is seam sealing actually essential, given that this is silnylon? How
      easily are the seams sealed?
      Does the tent have an optimal orientation for stability in wind?
      Does the beaked construction fully protect the interior when rain is
      wind-driven?
      Are there any weaknesses in rain e.g. points where water can
      accumulate and trickle in?

      Ventilation, comfort, and performance in general

      What's the quality of cross-ventilation when the netting doors are
      closed? Is the venting system efficient in wet weather? Can vents be
      closed off if necessary?
      How well does the tent handle condensation in cooler weather? Is the
      optional liner an aid in keeping a dry interior?
      Is this a quiet tent in wind? Does it shake?
      Will I do my usual "silnylon shimmy" in the night, in which my pad and
      I part company? Will I find a solution other than to paint seam-sealer
      stripes on the floor?
      Will the tent exhibit any wear and tear? How small a package does the
      fabric form? To what length can the poles be folded down?
      How much clearance do I have when I sit up? Does my head brush the
      fabric? How easy is it to reach out of the tent and operate a stove in
      inclement weather, ideally without leaving my bag?
      Is the arrangement of bug netting fully bug-proof? Will it tangle with
      me as I exit the tent? Indeed, is this a tent that a tall person can
      exit gracefully?
      Is the light within this tent good or gloomy? Are there any storage
      pockets?
      Is a footprint essential? Will my usual kiteweight Tyvek do the job
      adequately?

      I will of course verify weights, dimensions, etc., and report fully on
      how the liner tent works and how it affects the experience of the
      Double Rainbow.

      The points listed above are a sampling of the issues that I will be
      examining if I have the privilege of testing this remarkable tent.

      My owner reviews and test series may be viewed at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/erduggan

      Completed series:
      MSR Missing Link tent
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR Missing
      Link/Edward Ripley-Duggan/

      MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Snow Gear/Snowshoes/MSR
      Lightning Ascent/Edward Ripley-Duggan/

      Black Diamond Zenix
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps - LED/Black
      Diamond Zenix/Edward Ripley-Duggan/

      SnowClaw shovel
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Snow Gear/Axes and
      Shovels/SnowClaw Aluminum Pro-Series/Edward Ripley-Duggan/

      Dahlgren Dristride Backpacking Socks
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/Dahlgren%20Backpacking%20\
      Socks/Edward%20Ripley-Duggan/

      GoLite Wizard Jacket
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/GoLite%20Wizard/Edward%\
      20Ripley-Duggan/

      Princeton Tech Eos
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps -
      LED/Princeton Tec EOS/Edward Ripley-Duggan/

      Tilley TH4 Hat
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/Tilley TH4
      Hat/Edward Ripley Duggan/

      Coleman Xcursion Lantern
      http://tinyurl.com/c9t23

      Granite Gear Winterizer
      http://tinyurl.com/a4pyf

      Bask Trekker Sleeping Bag
      http://tinyurl.com/dv4dq

      Costa del Mar Fathom sunglasses
      http://tinyurl.com/e6crl

      Coleman Xtreme Stove
      http://tinyurl.com/h3jav

      Integral Designs PLQ Jacket
      http://tinyurl.com/q8lh9

      MSR Lightning Snowshoes
      http://tinyurl.com/qfv8y

      Tests in progress

      Princeton Tec Apex LTR apparently due July 25 (Possible error in
      date, but no conflict in any case)

      This test should cause any conflicts with a test of the Double Rainbow

      The ULA Catalyst and Tilley Mesh tests that I may still be listed for
      have been cancelled.
      (No, this comment is not pointed, or at least not too much)! <g>

      I have no current applications outstanding.

      +++++++

      Current BGT involvement other than tests

      Tests currently monitored:
      Bridgedale X-Hale sock

      Mentor
      OR Editor
      Asst. Moderator, BGT Recruitment list (sorta--not much to moderate)!
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2006
        For "feeling my app" read "filing." Great start! <g>
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
          A trifle too many typos the first time around!

[...]

          website. Does the floor bring the weight over that amount?
          Does the Double Rainbow use trekking poles (in the same manner as the
          Rainbow)? How well will my trekking poles—currently a pair of Black
          Diamond Terra CF—work with the tent?
          Can the tent be made free-standing with improvised poles if I'm not
          carrying trekking poles and need to pitch free-standing (or in the
          case of a broken pole)? How easily do poles (of all kinds) attach to
          the Double Rainbow? Is the arrangement for pole attachment adjustable,
          in order to optimize fabric tension and overall pitch?
          How much additional guying is necessary for security in windy
          conditions? How many guy-out points does the Double Rainbow have? How
          far do the manufacturer's guylines extend from the tent (this in terms
          of the overall tent footprint for pitching in areas with restricted
          space, sometimes an issue when several tents occupy a small area)?
          What's the initial pitching time in this configuration? After
          practice? Is the pitching procedure easy to learn and simple to execute?

          Staked mode

          What type of stakes are supplied, if any? Do they hold well in duff?
          Do they blunt or bend on rocks? How many are provided—are there
          sufficient for additional guying?
          Are guylines supplied, and if so, how many? What type of line is used?
          Will it be fully water-resistant (I've had tents with guylines that
          soak out)? What type of line tensioner is used? What is the minimum
          number of guy-out points needed to support the tent in wind?
          Is the pitch of equal quality (in terms of tautness etc.) with either
          pitching method, or is one of the two methods optimal in this regard?
          What's the initial pitching time in this configuration? After practice?

          Erecting tent (general considerations)

          Does the Double Rainbow use two poles, as the smaller Rainbow does?
          What pole type is provided, e.g. Easton (as per the Rainbow), CF, etc?
          Are the poles easily inserted in the tent sleeves? Can the tent be
          partially staked before inserting the pole if the wind is blowing the
          fabric around (this can make erecting any lightweight tent a bit
          vexing, and a positive nightmare in high winds)?
          How easy is the seam sealing process? Is it indeed actually essential,
          given the hydrophobic nature of silnylon?
          Does the tent have an optimal orientation to the winf for the best
          stability? If it does, is that orientation the same as the best
          orientation for resistance to driven rain? Does the beaked
          construction fully protect the interior when rain is wind-driven near
          horizontal (test subject, of course, to these conditions being
          experienced)?
          Are there any weaknesses to the design in continuous rain e.g. points
          where water can accumulate and trickle in (memories of the MSR Missing
          Link here)?

          Ventilation, comfort, and performance in general

          What's the quality of cross-ventilation when the netting doors are
          closed? Is the venting system efficient in wet weather? Can vents be
          closed off if necessary?
          How well does the tent handle condensation in cooler weather? Is the
          optional liner an aid in keeping a dry interior? What is the lowest
          temperature at which this tent works well (within the confines of the
          test period)?
          Is the light within this tent good or gloomy (I've seen some somber
          silnylon tents)?
          Are there any storage pockets within the tent?
          Is this a quiet tent when in wind? Does it shake or billow? Does in
          need retensioning in wind or rain?
          Will I do my usual "silnylon shimmy" in the night, in which my pad and
          I part company? Will I find a solution other than to paint seam-sealer
          stripes on the floor?
          Will the tent exhibit any wear and tear over the test period? Is a
          footprint essential? Will my usual kite-weight Tyvek do the job
          adequately?
          Are the zippers easily found at night? Are they smooth in operation?
          Do they operate without grabbing fabric and jamming?
          How small a package does the tent crush down to? What kind of
          stuff-sack is provided? To what length can the poles be folded down?
          Does this tent carry well in a small pack?
          How much clearance will I have when I sit up? Does my head brush the
          fabric? Will the liner diminish headroom? How easy is it to reach
          outside the tent and operate a stove in inclement weather (ideally
          without leaving my bag)?
          Is the arrangement of bug netting indeed fully bug-proof? Will it
          tangle with me as I exit the tent? Indeed, is this a tent that a tall
          person can exit gracefully, without brushing into wet flaps etc.?

          I will of course verify all weights, dimensions, etc.
          I will report fully on how the liner tent is pitched, how well it
          works, and how it affects the basic experience of the Double Rainbow,
          all its advantages and disadvantages. It's hard to be more specific on
          the sketchy information!

[...]

          The test above should not cause any report timing conflicts with a