APPLICATION: Coleman Cloudcroft 40 Sleeping Bag - Kathy Waters

  • Kathleen Waters
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2006
      If this is a repeat, I apologize - first app doesn't appear to have
      gone through.

      APPLICATION TO TEST THE COLEMAN CLOUDCROFT 40° SLEEPING BAG

      Please accept my application to test the Coleman Cloudcroft 40°
      Sleeping Bag. I have read the requirements for being a tester and
      the reporting requirements and I AGREE to comply. I have completed
      the Tester Agreement and submitted it to Shane as required. I am also
      familiar with the BGT Survival Guide v. 1202.

      Tester Biographical Information

      Name: Kathleen Waters
      Age: 55
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)
      Weight: 128 lb (58 kg)
      Shoulder Girth: 45 in (114 cm)
      Knee Girth: 27 in (74 cm)
      Email address: kathy at ring dot com or TheMiddleSister at usaring
      dot com
      City, State, Country: White Lake, MI USA

      Backpacking Background: My husband and I started hiking in 1998 after
      an eye-opening climb up Hahn's Peak (10839 ft/ 3304 m) in Colorado.

      Hooked, we return to Colorado often. We've also hiked glaciers, rain
      forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including
      Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. Winters, we snowshoe.

      At home in Michigan, we plan for 2-3 hikes of 6-8 m (10-13 km)
      weekly and one weekend hike monthly. Weekday hikes take place in
      Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, a mixture of heavily wooded moderate
      hills and flat terrain. Weekend hike locations vary.

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight with a pack
      averaging 25 lb (11 kg) including food and water.

      Field Information

      If all goes well, this will be my last year living in Michigan, then
      it's "westward ho" and off to Colorado! That said, there is still
      lots to see here in the Great Lakes State and I am looking forward to
      at least one 2-3 day hiking trip a month all the way through early
      fall. Tentative plans include the Lake Superior Trail in the
      Porcupine Mountains, the Little Carp Trail, also in the "Porkies" ,
      day hikes on the Kal-Haven Trail and others.

      In early July, I'm planning a weeklong trip to Beaver Island in
      Michigan. I am also hoping in late July, to be in Colorado for a
      belated birthday trip to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. My first
      Colorado hiking goal is to section hike the whole Rainbow Trail
      system in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness, starting this spring!

      Hiking will mostly take place in terrain that will include the sandy
      lakeshore dunes of Lake Michigan in western Lower Michigan, the
      rockier shore areas of Lake Superior in the UP and the Wet, Green,
      Sangre de Cristos and Rocky Mountain ranges of Colorado. Elevation
      will range from 177 ft to 13,000 ft (54 m to 3962 m) and I anticipate
      that temperatures over the remaining days of winter, spring and
      early summer will vary from 35 F to 81 F (2 C to 27 C) in Michigan
      and 38 F to 88 F (3 C to 31 C) in Colorado. I'm sure to experience
      cold, wind, rain and heat in Michigan. In the Sangres in Colorado, I
      expect to add some snow to the mix of weather conditions to be
      encountered.

      Michigan Average Temperatures/Precipitation for projected test period.

      Jun: Avg. High (78F/26C); Avg. Low (56F/13C); Avg. Precip.
      (3.6in/91mm)
      Jul: Avg. High (84F/29C); Avg. Low (60F/16C); Avg. Precip.
      (2.8in/77mm)
      Aug: Avg. High (81F/27C); Avg. Low (58F/14C); Avg. Precip.
      (3.3in/84mm)
      Sep: Avg. High (74F/23C); Avg. Low (52F/11C); Avg. Precip.
      (2.9in/74mm)

      Colorado Average Temperatures/Precipitation for projected test period.

      Jun: Avg. High (84F/29C); Avg. Low (54F/12C); Avg. Precip.
      (1.3in/33mm)
      Jul: Avg. High (88F/31C); Avg. Low (61F/16C); Avg. Precip.
      (1.9in/48mm)
      Aug: Avg. High (86F/30C); Avg. Low (56F/13C); Avg. Precip.
      (1.9in/48mm)
      Sep: Avg. High (78F/26C); Avg. Low (50F/10C); Avg. Precip.
      (1.3in/33mm)

      Test Plan

      Proposed Test Plan

      If I am accepted as a tester for the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping
      Bag, it will be my only choice of sleeping bag for the whole testing
      period. So, it will be tested this summer and fall in a wide range
      of weather and locations. Most of the testing will be 2-3 day trips
      in western and northern Michigan on lakeshore trails, ranging from
      sandy, open areas, to rocky, heavily treed terrain. Summer will be
      hot and dry (hopefully) and fall will turn cool and wet. The
      sleeping bag will get damp, if not wet.

      I wish I could say that I sleep "warm" or "cold", but my body
      temperature varies from night to night; however, I'm fairly confident
      that Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag will work fine for me for the entire
      4-month test period. I have never used a down bag so I'm excited
      about testing one and experiencing the differences from synthetic
      fill.

      Comfort is my primary concern in a sleeping bag and I will thoroughly
      test for comfort as well as overall utility.

      I will be testing the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag for comfort
      in temperature control.

      Will I be warm enough in colder temps?
      At what point will I need additional insulation? 40° or higher/lower?
      Will I be too warm in warmer temperatures?
      At what temperature (if any) is the bag totally uncomfortable?
      Does the draft tube really keep out drafts?
      Does the yoke draw need to be so tight as to be constrictive to keep
      out the breezes?

      I will be testing the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag for comfort
      in construction.

      Is there enough "cushion" in the filling?
      How do the high-quality 310 Tactel® nylon cover and liner feel again
      my skin?
      Does the baffle construction system keep the filling from shifting
      over the testing period?
      How do the "Which One" cord cinches work?
      Are there any flat or cold spots?
      Is there enough wiggle room?
      Do I feel claustrophobic with the zipper fully engaged?
      How well does the double-sided zipper work?
      Can I sleep on my side without suffocating?
      Where is the interior "pocket" located? Will it be useful or a
      nuisance?

      I will be testing the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag for utility
      and truth in advertising.

      Is the reported weight accurate?
      Can I "stuff" the bag back into the reported size?
      Is the zipper easy to use and snag-proof?

      I will be testing the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag for
      sturdiness and wearability.

      Does the stitching keep the filling stable?
      Does the stitching stay intact after repeated use or will breaks in
      the threads occur over time?
      How well does the sleeping bag repel dampness?
      How long does it take to dry out when wet?
      Will the zipper pull break under normal usage?
      Does the high-quality 310 Tactel® nylon cover snag under normal
      conditions?
      Does the sleeping bag retain odor?
      What are the care instructions?
      What is the best storage – in the provided cotton bag or hanging up
      by the foot loops in my closet?

      For each night of testing, I will report on my location, including
      altitude, the weather conditions, including temperature,
      precipitation (if any), and estimated humidity and wind speeds. I
      will note what clothing was worn and what shelter and pad (if any)
      was used.

      I will also report any other issues that arise during the testing
      period.

      I am very excited about the BGT group and aim to do my best and a
      thorough job of testing for all manufacturers. I am detail oriented
      in my evaluations and prompt with my reports. I currently am testing
      three items with one test ending this month, so I will have ample
      time and energy to evaluate this item. It would be an honor and a
      pleasure to test the Coleman Cloudcroft 40° Sleeping Bag.

      If I am chosen, I would need a regular size sleeping bag.

      Thank you for the opportunity to apply to test the Coleman Cloudcroft
      40° Sleeping Bag!

      Kathy Waters

      Other Current Test Applications include:

      Archmold Maximum Insoles

      Current Tests include:

      Gregory Deva 60 - IR uploaded February 17, 2006, FR uploaded April
      19, 2006 and LTR due June 27, 2006
      Suunto Advizor Wristop Computer – IR uploaded, FR due June 20, 2006
      and LTR due August 22, 2006
      OR Nimbus Sombrero – IR uploaded, FR due July 25, 2006 and LTR due
      September 26, 2006

      Most Recently Completed Test Report:

      Integral Designs eVENT Rain Pants
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%
      20Pants/Integral%20Designs%20eVENT%20Rain%20Pants/Kathy%20Waters/

      Other Completed Test Reports include:

      La Sportiva Venture Mid XCR Trail Shoe
      Teko Eco Merino Wool Hiking Socks
      GoLite Eisenhower Tunnel Shelter
      Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude Ki Women's Pack
      Rocky Gore-Tex Socks
      Muttluk Dog Boots

      Owner's Reports include:

      Bumble Bee Ready to Eat Meals
      Patagonia El Cap Jacket
      Patagonia Capilene Mock-T
      Burton Women's Day Hiker Backpack
      Yukon Charles Winter Systems Snowshoes

      All my test and owner's reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/TheMiddleSister

      Current Mentor for: Jo Ann Moffi
      Current Test Monitor for: Ibex Qu T – IR uploaded, FR due July 4,
      LTR due September 5, 2006
      Completed Test Monitor for: Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryder-Mid
      Fast Packing Trail Boot