Application - Orikaso Solo Set - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2006
      I have read the Survival Guide v.1202 and my tester agreement is on file.

      Application to test Orikaso Solo Set

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Boston, MA, USA

      Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
      four years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and
      Massachusetts. I have recently finished 1200+ miles (2000+ km) of the
      Appalachian trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not
      spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 20lbs (9
      kg). I have recently started getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing
      and kayaking.

      Testing Arena and Conditions:
      Most of my overnight camping will take place in the White Mountains in
      New Hampshire. I have a few trips planned that will include an
      extended trip to the top of Mt. Washington, at 6000 ft (1829 m).
      Expected temperatures can be anywhere from 10 to 70 F (-12 to 20 C)
      depending on season and elevation. Weather on Mount Washington is very
      unpredictable. Expected weather conditions in the White Mountains in
      the spring can be from wintery to springlike, rainy or snowy, with
      driving winds depending on elevation. Depending on the trail I chose,
      it may be relatively easy or steep and rocky.

      I have a trek planned into the 100-mile (160 km) wilderness in Maine
      for mid-summer. I expect the weather to be around 40 to 70 F (4 to 21
      C) and wet with lots of bugs. This would be a 10 day trip and any
      equipment I bring would see lots of hard use. Altitude over the
      100-mile (160 km) wilderness varies from just above sea-level to just
      under 4000 ft (1220 m) with a final summit of 5200 ft (1585 m) on
      Katahdin. I expect the trails to be relatively well traveled but to be
      very rough and unimproved. I also expect to encounter at least 3 - 5
      stream crossings if not more as Maine does not believe in building
      bridges. This will give me ample opportunities to looking into wet
      crossings. I will also see how well wet sandals perform and how fast
      and well they dry.

      I also have a weekend car camping trip planned for Mount Greylock in
      Massachusetts in July. I expect the weather to be around 60 to 85 F
      (15 to 30 C) and mild with some chance of rain. Atiltude gain over
      this trip would be from about 2500 - 3491 ft (762 - 1064 m). I expect
      the trials to be relativey well traveled and easy hiking with some
      rough areas.

      If selected to test the Orikaso Solo Set, I would use it on all
      camping and potentially on dayhiking trips over the course of the test
      period. I have at least one camping trip per month planned from now
      until the end of summer with twice monthly day hikes planned until
      fall. Most of my hiking will take place in the White Mountains in New
      Hampshire with dayhikes happening in and around the Boston area.

      Test Plan:
      Over the course of testing the Orikaso Solo set, I would look into how
      easy the various items are to assemble and clean. Once assembled, I
      would look into how well they hold up to being handled. Can I set the
      plate in my lap and eat off of it or will it sag under the weigh of
      food on the plate. How well does the solo set hold up to hot foods.
      I don't normally use a knife to eat when camping, but I would test te
      see how well the plate holds up to knife and fork use. How ergonomic
      is the handle of the cup. Are there any sharp edges to watch out for
      either in the handle or around the rim. How well does the
      Polypropylene insulate me from the heat of the food/liquid the items
      are holding. Can I pour boiling water into the bowl then carry it
      elsewhere to eat. Will the items still have some rigidity after
      pouring boiling water into them.

      How much liquid can each item hold before leakage occurs. Is this
      limit acceptable for the item or will the resulting portion be too
      small. Is there only one way to fold each item or are there
      variations on the folds to allow for different fill limits. How easy
      are the items to fold into shape. Will I be fighting with the items
      while cooking food or will they flow into place easily. Will they be
      easy to assemble in the dark or under limited lighting conditions.
      Will each item differ enough from the rest of the set such that I can
      just pull out the mug if that is all I need. How easily do they slide
      back into their reuseable packaging. How light is the whole setup.
      Will I feel the need to leave parts of the set at home in order to
      shed pack weight or is the whole set light enough to not bother. What
      other uses can the set be put to. Will the cup be easy to hold and
      use while brushing my teeth. Can the bowl be used to bail the canoe
      or kayak. Can the plate bo used as a cutting mat for food
      preparation.

      They claim the Polypropylene becomes more durable along the folds with
      repeated use. Does this mean the item will start to hold their shape
      even after unfolding. If the set is placed in the pack with a curve,
      will the Polypropylene pick up the curve and make folding difficult.
      Are all the items the same size when flat or does any one piece have
      part that hangs out that can catch on other items in my pack. Does
      the Polypropylene have any smell associated with it when new. Will it
      pick up any food smells. How easy is cleanup. Is the item easy to
      disassemble while covered in food. Will I get my hands dirty in order
      to unfold the item to clean it.

      I welcome the opportunity to test the Orikaso Solo Set. I plan on
      looking into all of the above points as well as overall ease of use.

      Previously Written Reports:
      Owner Review - MSR WhisperLite Internationale 600 Stove - September 17, 2004
      Owner Review - REI Elements Rain Jacket - October 1, 2004

      Tests Completed:
      Anti Gravity Mapdana #4
      Atsko Sno-Seal

      Currently Testing:
      Yaktrax Pro - Testing delayed until snow falls again
      POE Pneumo - FR due on 20 June
      Coleman Cloudview 2 Tent - FR due Aug
      OR Zealot - FR due July 25
      Keen Venice - FR due Aug 1