APPLICATION to TEST - Play & Freeze Ice Cream Freezer - R. Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2006
      Please accept my application to test the Play and Freeze Ice Cream
      Maker. I have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide,
      v1202, and I will follow all requirements. My signed Tester Agreement
      is on file with Shane.

      Richard Lyon
      Male, 59 years old
      6' 4" (1.9 m) tall, 200 lb (91 kg)
      Dallas, Texas, USA
      rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com

      Personal Information and Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking
      for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the Rockies since 1986. I do
      a weeklong trip every summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm
      usually camping in alpine terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 -
      4000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips
      from camp, but I do my share of forced marches too. Though always
      looking for ways to reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker, and
      I usually choose an extra pound or two over foregoing camp conveniences
      I've come to expect.

      Background Applicable To This Test: I am an ice cream addict. I love
      ice cream, I make it at home, I eat it whenever I can. More than a few
      of the 200 lb (91 kg) listed above are attributable to ice cream.
      Regarding this product, my hiking schedule this summer will include many
      opportunities to test it even if I can't figure out a way to pack it on
      a backpacking trip where snow is possible. Day hikes are my preference
      around home, and late this month I will be in Montana with two children
      who are not ready for backpacking quite yet. This summer will also
      include a number of fishing days and I doubt that I'll have much
      difficulty convincing friends and guides to pack some extra ice in the
      cooler if I provide the fixings for ice cream. Backpacking use is a
      possibility too as a weeklong trip in early August in the Swan Range,
      Montana, is in an area that often holds snow well into July. The
      Northern Rockies had a heavy snowfall last winter and it's just possible
      that there may be a few pockets of snow left in shade. I've seen this
      gadget in magazine ads and at REI and wondered how well it would work on
      outdoor occasions when ice was available; this test gives me a chance to
      find out.

      Test Plan. I shall look for the following in the Play and Freeze Ice
      Cream Maker:

      Ease of Use. Is it as easy to use as the directions on the website
      indicate – load the ice, pour in the ice cream mix, and shake,
      rattle, and roll? How long must the ball be agitated to achieve a
      consistency that's not too runny? How much ice is needed for each pint
      of ice cream? Does freezing affect opening and closing the cylinder in
      which the ice cream is made (FAQ on the website suggest that this can be
      a problem)? How long after freezing will the ice cream stay hard, i.e.,
      does the Play and Freeze provide any insulation other than ice that's
      added? If the ice cream must be eaten immediately after freezing there's
      a built-in dilemma: the ice cream must be made (rolled, shaken,
      whatever) during dinner. Is the ice cream maker easy to clean in the
      outdoors after each use?

      Versatility. At home I make three basic styles of frozen desserts:
      custard ice cream (made with egg yolks and cream), Italian ice cream
      (made with cream but without eggs), and fruit sorbetti (no milk or
      cream). How will results vary with the type of mix used? Will adding
      fruit or chocolate chips aid or impair the freezing process? We are
      after all about backpacking – can the Play and Freeze Ice Cream
      Maker be loaded efficiently in a pack when the camping destination is
      expected to have ice or snow? Is there any aspect of this product (other
      than requiring ice) that makes it unsuitable for use away from
      civilization?

      Durability. Will the plastic ball take withstand the occasional
      accidental fall to the ground? Can it be packed in a crowded car trunk?
      Is anything too fragile for repeated outdoor use? Or for stowing in a
      canoe or horse pannier?

      Other Uses. Is it really fun (as claimed on the website) to shake or
      roll the Play and Freeze? If so it'll be useful as a distraction when
      children are on a trip. Will it work well enough to justify use in my
      own backyard?

      Preferred Color: See-Thru Clear

      Test in Progress: Ibex Qu T (Initial Report completed), Kamik Chase
      hiking shoe (not yet received).

      Tests completed: Atsko Sno-Seal, Atsko WaterGuard and Sports Wash;
      Thorlo Level 1 Wool Blend Hiking Socks

      Owner Reviews: Outdoor Research Nimbus Sombrero; Ibex Outback
      Long-Sleeve Shirt; Jetboil Pot Support and Stabilizer; Kifaru Field
      Chair; Bibler Bombshelter; Just Tomatoes, etc! Products (I actually
      mention use of these products in making ice cream in this review.);
      Filson Heavyweight Merino Wool Socks; Jetboil Personal Cooking System;
      Mystery Ranch BDSB; Bibler Ahwahnee 2

      All my reviews are collected here
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/richardglyon> .