IR - Probar Nutty Banana Boom (Kenny B)

  • Kenny B
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      Here's my IR for the Probars. It's also in the test
      folder. The pictures and table look better there.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Probar%20Nutty%20Banana%20Boom/
      I did not put in conversions for the nutritional facts
      as the US measures them in g. Let me know if I'm
      wrong.

      Cheers
      Kenny B

      Probar - Nutty Banana Boom
      Initial Report
      June 1, 2006

      Personal Biographical Information:

      Name: Ken Bigelow
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.8 m)
      Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
      Email address: krb84108 (at) yahoo (dot) com
      Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I was first dragged on a backpacking trip eight years
      ago and have been addicted to it ever since. My
      adventures vary in length from a weekend to over two
      weeks. I am slowly shifting my backpacking style to a
      lightweight approach. I recently upgraded to a
      hammock to reduce weight. From spring through fall I
      typically backpack in the mountains or desert, while
      in winter I often go snowshoeing. I typically see a
      wide variety of climates ranging from 10 F (-12 C)
      with snow to 90 F (32 C) and sunny with just about
      everything in between.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Probar, LLC
      Website: theprobar.com/
      Listed Weight (on package exterior): 3 oz (85 g)
      Average Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
      Year Produced: 2006
      Flavored Tested: Nutty Banana Boom
      Packaged Dimensions: 6 in x 3.5 in (15 cm x 9 cm)
      Energy Bar Dimensions: 3 in x 3in (8 cm x 8 cm)
      MSRP: None listed (approximately $3 US/bar based on
      numerous retailers)

      Product Description & Initial Impressions:

      I received two boxes of Probars (each box contains 12
      individually wrapped energy bars) for testing. Each
      bar is packaged in a sealed wrapper with an expiration
      date, the manufacturer’s name & logo, the flavor and
      some small illustrations relating to the flavor
      (bananas and peanuts). The back contains the energy
      bar’s nutritional facts, the ingredients, allergy
      information and some contact information (website
      included) for Probar. At the time of this report, the
      Banana Nutty Boom flavor is not noted on the website
      (that I could see). It does look similar to the two
      flavors listed which is what I expected after browsing
      Probar’s easy to navigate website.

      Opening up a Nutty Banana Boom reveals a square bar
      with numerous ingredients blended together, but still
      discernable. After exposing the bar to the air I
      immediately could smell a strong scent of banana, nuts
      and something (probably a mix of multiple ingredients)
      that I was unable to place. The combined odor was
      not unpleasant in any way.

      For the Health Nuts:

      Nutritional Facts

      Calories
      400

      Calories from Fat
      190

      Amount Per Serving
      % Daily Value
      Based on 2,000 Calorie Diet

      Total Fat
      21 g
      32

      Saturated Fat
      6 g
      28

      Trans Fat
      0 g
      -

      Cholesterol
      0 mg
      0

      Sodium
      40 mg
      -

      Potassium
      150 mg
      4

      Total Carbohydrate
      47 g
      16

      Dietary Fiber
      7 g
      27

      Sugars
      19 g
      -

      Protein
      19 g
      -

      Omega 3
      670 mg

      Omega 6
      590 mg

      Ingredients:

      Natural unsalted peanut butter (peanuts), organic
      brown rice syrup, organic barley malt syrup, fruit &
      nut mix (organic raisins, organic sunflower seeds,
      juice sweetened papaya, juiced sweetened pineapple,
      dates, cashews, unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds,
      brazil nuts), granola mix (oats, grape concentrate,
      expeller pressed canola oil, almonds, oat brand,
      natural orange oil, natural vitamin E), granola mix
      (organic oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic
      expeller pressed canola oil, crisp rice (organic brown
      rice flour, organic evaporated cane juice, organic
      molasses, sea salt), organic flax seeds, organic oats
      solids, hemp seed), granola (rolled oats, raisins,
      corn flakes (milled corn, evaporated cane juice,
      barley malt syrup), rolled rye, organic brown crisp
      rice (organic brown rice, organic malted barley
      syrup), almonds, apples, epasote, organic cardamom
      seed, organic fennel seed, organic fenugreek seed,
      organic nutmeg), organic sunflower seeds, chopped
      dates (dates, oat flour), organic banana chips,
      organic unsweetened coconut, organic flax seeds, raw
      cashews, organic brown sesame seeds, carob chips
      (whole grain malted barley and corn, fractionated palm
      kernel oil, carob powder, soy lecithin), raw almonds,
      natural banana flavor.

      Testing Location:

      I go hiking/camping or backpacking in Utah almost
      every weekend from the spring through the fall and
      will eat the Probars on every trip until the supply
      runs out. I plan on venturing into Bryce Canyon
      National Park or Cedar Mesa before the end of June. In
      the summer months I’ll be backpacking in the Wasatch
      and Uinta Mountains almost every weekend. The terrain
      will vary greatly and will include wet and muddy
      corridors, slickrock, steep and rocky terrain as well
      as plain old dirt paths. Temperatures should range
      from 30 F (-1 C) to 90 F (32 C). I will likely see all
      types of weather ranging from heavy rain to sunny. The
      elevations experienced should be between 4,000 ft
      (1,200 m) and 11,000 ft (3,300 m).

      Testing Plan:

      Probars are claimed to be an all natural, 100% vegan
      energy bar with 15 whole blended foods. They are
      supposed to provide sports nutrition and act as a meal
      replacement. My waistline will testify that I am by
      no means a health nut, but I do run out of gas while
      hiking/backpacking if I do not digest enough nutrients
      to keep going. On the trail I typically skip both
      breakfast and lunch electing to just snack throughout
      the day. The Nutty Banana Boom flavored Probar will
      probably serve as two meals for me. If they do not
      supply me with an energy boost I am going to hit the
      wall in the afternoon. Will the Probars provide me
      with enough energy to hike all day long? Can I handle
      eating only Probars until dinnertime? Will eating
      them create an urgent need for water?

      Does the new flavor taste good? While I’m no
      connoisseur of food, my waistline alone should stand
      as a testament that I know good food (and indulge in
      it) when I eat it. Does eating it evoke my gag
      reaction? Will I find myself craving a Probar when
      I’m no longer on the trail? Does eating one bar fill
      me up or will it leave my stomach needing additional
      sustenance? Will I require more than one bar to halt
      my hunger?

      Will this new flavor disagree with my intestinal
      track? Will it sit well in my stomach or will it need
      immediate expulsion? Will eating a Probar leave an
      aftertaste that stays with me all day long? Can I
      pick out or remove any ingredients I don’t want to eat
      (i.e. specific nuts, seeds, etc.)? Will the Probars
      melt in their package on warm days? Will freezing the
      Probars kill any flavors? Can the package be quickly
      and easily opened? Will the bar crumble or fall apart
      when stored in my pack with my other free to squish
      it?
      Thanks to Probar and BackpackGearTest for allowing me
      to participate in testing the Nutty Banana Boom
      Flavored energy bar.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        In a message dated 6/1/2006 10:09:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        krb84108@... writes:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Probar%20Nutty%20B
        anana%20Boom/
        I did not put in conversions for the nutritional facts
        as the US measures them in g. Let me know if I'm
        wrong.

        ###########

        Kenny,

        As you noted, the US format is in grams, so you are OK, no conversion
        needed. I did not review you IR for edits, but it looks real purty! Nice job on the
        photos - clear and with good lighting.

        Jim S.
        Probar Test Moderator

        Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of
        the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

      • Kenny B
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
          Thanks Jim. Just wanted to be sure.

          Cheers