REPOST IR - Golite Whim Pants - Mike Lipay

  • Mike Lipay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      OK, I've made the following changes based on your suggestions, please
      let me know if it works.

      Appearance, Features, and Usage
      From GoLite's website, and the product hangtag:
      DESCRIPTION - The Whim Pants are a 4 oz ultra-lite wonder that offers
      wind and water protection plus great durability for the weight!
      Constructed of WispUltra, a 98% polyester/2% carbon fabric with a
      Super-DWR coating, these wind pants are highly breathable and pack
      small into the back pocket so there's never a reason to leave them
      behind.

      Based on GoLite's description, both on their website and hangtag, I
      was under the impression that the Whim pants were being sold as
      emergency rain wear. As I have discovered since, the GoLite Whim
      pants are categorized as "Ultra-lite Wind Shells," for "insurance"
      against light rain, wind, and quick temperature drops. I will attempt
      to test the Whims under these conditions.

      KEY FEATURES - WispUltra 98% polyester/2% carbon fabric with Super-
      DWR finish Ultra-lite, wind resistant, water repellent, breathable,
      packs small Self-stowing Flat braided drawcord at the waist.

      COLORS - Night

      AVAILABLE SIZES - (Unisex sizing) X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-
      Large, XX-Large

      Personal Observations
      The first thing I noticed about the GoLite Whim pants is the weight,
      even though the specs state 4 oz (113 g) I wasn't prepared for the
      light weight - I have stuff sacks that feel heavier! The second thing
      that became apparent was a small pocket located inside the pants on
      the right rear. The pocket measures 5-1/2 in (14 cm) square, and is
      just large enough for my wallet - a nice feature that doubles as a
      built-in stuff sack.

      What my hiking partner noticed first was the large, white, GoLite
      logo on the front right. While I didn't mind it, his feeling was that
      it was like a billboard against the black material of the pants.

      The outside appearance is a satin-black appearance, while the inside
      reminds me of shiny black-plastic bags.

      First Use:
      The arrival of the GoLite Whim pants was indeed fortunate, coming the
      day before a planned outing. This was one of those trips that makes
      me wonder why there is a weather forecasting department, predictions
      were for light drizzle with the possibility of thundershowers. The
      morning started off with temps at 48° F (8° C), but quickly warmed up
      to 62° F (17° C) where it remained for the day. The rain started
      around 8 A.M. and lasted for the entire day, coming down hard and
      fast, turning the trails into small streams.

      As soon as the rain started I pulled my GoLite Whim pants out of my
      back pocket (they really do fit easily). Putting them on wasn't as
      easy as I had hoped, the opening in the pants leg wasn't large enough
      to fit over my hiking boots, requiring the removal of my boots. I
      must say, though, that they fit well over my hiking pants, not
      causing the legs to ride up, or making it feel as if I had two pairs
      of pants on.

      Once I had the Whims on I was ready for the testing to begin. Sure
      enough, I had plenty of opportunity to see how well they would work
      as it rained the entire day. I was impressed at how dry I felt, with
      two layers of pants on I wasn't feeling a heat or moisture build up.
      By the end of the day my GORE-TEX rain jacket was letting a little
      moisture through, but my hiking pants were nicely dry.

      Taking the Whim pants off was similar to getting them on: untying the
      drawcord was easy, but I had to remove my shoes in order to take the
      pants off. This is the most annoying feature, with the heavy rain my
      socks and shoes became wet during the changeover.

      Test Plan:
      While I might not wear them at every hiking trip, I would always
      carry the GoLite Whims with me as they are intended to be used - in
      case a quick storm rears its ugly thunder-clouded head. The weather
      in the Allegheny's is difficult to predict, or so the meteorologists
      are always saying, a freak storm catching you off guard is not an
      uncommon occurrence here, and having a good pair of water repellant
      pants at hand is a necessity. Breath-ability is also a must, when the
      storms crop up on a hot June or July day I can get just as wet from
      sweating as I would have from the rain. My current emergency pair are
      anything but light-weight, easy to pack, and breathable; replacing
      them would be more than a Whim, it would be a dream-come-true!

      Additionally, having a pair of these in my pocket at a ballgame would
      be a fantastic way to be prepared for when a shower interrupts the
      viewing (but not the game). I have been caught in more than my fair
      share of baseball games when a storm comes along, and our stadium
      doesn't have many places where you can get out of the rain.

      EVALUTIONS
      What I would be most concerned with, and would pay the most attention
      to, is:

      QUALITY: Tightness of the seams, without bunching. Water repellency
      at the seams -- do the seams need sealed? I even have an interesting
      plan for testing this: seal off the waist and legs, inflate them with
      air, then force them into a tub of water. Check afterwards to see if
      any water seeped in through the seams.

      FIT: In addition to just plain fitting, how will they fit as an outer
      layer? I certainly don't want to get undressed just to change pants
      when a shower strikes. Also, will the legs go on over a pair of
      hiking boots, or will I need to remove the boots before I put on the
      GoLite Whims? Again, this is in the event of an emergency storm where
      every moment counts.

      COMFORT: When worn as regular hiking pants, on days when it is
      raining before I even start out, how does the nylon feel against the
      skin -- does it stick? When worn on the outside, over another pair of
      pants in an emergency situation, will they wind up being to hot? Too
      tight? Another thing that concerns me, with regards to comfort, is
      that they are only available in black -- will they be too hot in the
      summer, especially with the sun beating down?

      ENDURANCE: I know the GoLite Whims are made to be packed (even in a
      back pocket), but how well will they hold up to being crumpled and
      removed? Will it affect the water-resistance? Are they capable of
      holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
      abilities? Will the drawcord at the waist begin to fray before the
      end of the test period? I've found that drawcords have the tendency
      to break, or to not hold their place during heavy exercise (such as
      climbing a steep trail).

      On May 26, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Stephanie Martin wrote:

      > Mike:
      > Thank you for the adjustment to your IR.
      > I have a few items for you to consider.
      >
      > Based on the back-and-forth we've had on the list, I think it would be
      > useful to incude more detail regarding whether or not these pants
      > met your
      > expectations based on your visit to the GoLite website.
      >
      > In addition, I'd like to see more information regarding your
      > anticipated
      > field conditions - similar to the type of information that should
      > be found
      > in your application.
      >
      > While I understand the purpose of your "first use" section, I would
      > prefer
      > that you not utilize your single use to draw conclusions on the
      > performance of the pants, as that is more appropriate to your field
      > and
      > long term reports. Your conclusions with regards to the fit and
      > ease of
      > putting the pants on and taking them off are appropriate. I remain
      > torn
      > on your use of these pants on a day that was forecast to have light
      > steady
      > drizzle with a chance of thunderstorms - but I also understand that
      > you
      > can't test the dwr treatment of the pants without taking them into the
      > field on a day that is indeed raining.
      >
      > My final concerns are with regards to your test plan - many of your
      > concerns border on the dreaded "projection." While your concerns are
      > valid, it may help to not hypothesize on what may occur during the
      > test
      > period - but to simply state your concern and how you plan to
      > evaluate it.
      > I also recommend revisiting your actual application to pull items for
      > your test plan.
      >
      > I appreciate all the work you're doing on this,
      > Stephanie
    • WoodlandSprite
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Mike - thanks for the re-vamp!
        A quick edit below and you can upload. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the work you put into this.

        -Stephanie

        Mike Lipay <hiking@...> wrote:
        Test Plan:

        EDIT--> Can you include a brief summary of your expectd field conditions during the test period?

        EVALUTIONS

        QUALITY: Tightness of the seams, without bunching. Water repellency
        at the seams -- do the seams need sealed?

        EDIT--> do the seams need TO BE sealed?

        I even have an interesting
        plan for testing this: seal off the waist and legs, inflate them with
        air, then force them into a tub of water. Check afterwards to see if
        any water seeped in through the seams.

        COMMENT: This may be an unfair evaluation as the pants are not designed to be submerged. I recommend removing this proposed test.

        COMFORT: When worn as regular hiking pants, on days when it is
        raining before I even start out, how does the nylon feel against the
        skin -- does it stick?

        COMMENT: If it is raining before you start out, you may be treading on unfair use of the pants....

        ENDURANCE:
        Are they capable of
        holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
        abilities?

        EDIT: I think you ment jagged bushes...

        Thanks again Mike, I appreciate your work - once this is tweaked, go ahead and upload.
        -Stephanie

      • Mike Lipay
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Stephanie,

          Thanks for the time and patience with this. I have made the changes
          you suggested, and will upload soon. I do have a comment on one point...

          On Jun 1, 2006, at 3:20 PM, WoodlandSprite wrote:

          > COMMENT: If it is raining before you start out, you may be treading
          > on unfair use of the pants....

          If we don't go out when we expect to need emergency gear then we may
          never have the opportunity to test them. I don't plan on going out
          when it is raining, but I don't cancel a trip just because it's
          raining either. Surprise showers can occur just as easily at the
          start of a trip as in the middle.

          > ENDURANCE:
          > Are they capable of
          > holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
          > abilities?
          >
          > EDIT: I think you ment jagged bushes...

          Local colloquialism, I guess. Jaggers here cover everything from
          thorn-bushes (berries) to weeds which have small, needle-like thorns.
          Hard to tell if something is local until you use it.

          thanks,

          mike