INITIAL REPORT - Black Diamond Cosmo - jamie d

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2006
      Here is my BD Cosmo IR. It is also uploaded to the test folder
      here...
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Black%20Diamond%
      20Cosmo%20-%20IR%20-%20jamie%20d/

      thanks
      jamie d

      Black Diamond Cosmo

      Initial Report –May 27th, 2006

      [Report Contents]
      Reviewer's Information
      Background/Experience
      Product Information
      Product Description
      Arrival Condition and Informational Material
      First Impressions
      Expected Field Test Locations and Conditions
      Proposed Test Strategy for the Next Four Months

      Reviewer's Information

      Jamie DeBenedetto
      33 year old female
      Height 5ft 11 in (1.8 m)
      Weight 155 lb (70 kg)
      Head Circumference 22 in (55 cm)
      Email jdeben@...
      Personal webpage www.mydog8az.com
      Location: Phoenix, Arizona (The Grand Canyon State) USA

      Background/Experience

      I began backpacking eighteen years ago after tagging along with my
      dad to various wild places in Arizona and California as a child. At
      present I hike in some capacity about fifteen times a month, mostly
      in Arizona with either the Canine Hiking Club of AZ or with my
      family. I prefer to sleep in a hammock and I gravitate toward
      multifunctional gear that will enhance my comfort level for minimal
      weight. I consider myself a lightweight packer but not ultralight.
      My total pack weight year round is rarely above 25 lbs (11 kg) for
      outings of two to three days.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer - Black Diamond Equipment Ltd.
      URL - http://www.bdel.com
      Location and Year of Manufacture - China, assumed 2006
      MSRP - $29.95(USD)
      Color – Marigold

      (Specifications –Taken from the manufacturer's website and the
      included information)

      Total Weight (with batteries and headband) 2.8 oz (80 g)
      Weight (without batteries) 1.6 oz (44 g)
      Waterproof Rating – IPX4 (this rating means the Cosmo is splash-
      proof from all sides)
      Temperature Limit – 140 F (60 C)
      Bulb Type – 4 Superbright LEDs
      Battery Power – 3 AAA (which were included)
      Distance with Fresh Batteries 59 ft (18 m) on Max setting / 39 ft
      (12 m) on Mid setting / 26 ft (8 m) on Min setting
      Functional Burn Time 75 hrs on Max setting / 120 hrs on Mid
      setting / 150 hrs on Min setting / 120 hrs on Strobe stetting
      **The manufacturer defines functional burn time as quote, "enough
      light to tie a knot and set up a rappel or to see your feet when
      climbing."

      (Specifications as received and observed by the author. **A US
      Postal scale was used for all weights.)

      Total Weight (with batteries and headband) 2.9 oz (80 g)
      Weight (without batteries) 1.6 oz (44 g)
      Weight of Headband 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Width of Headband 1 in (2.5 cm)
      Maximum Headband Circumference 27.5 in (70 cm)
      Minimum Headband Circumference 16 in (41 cm)
      Lamp Housing Measurements - 2.3 in (5.8 cm) long by 1.6 in (4 cm)
      wide by 1.4 in (3.5 cm) high

      Product Description

      The Black Diamond Cosmo is a lightweight LED headlamp with a
      removable headband. It runs off of three AAA sized batteries and
      utilizes four "Superbright" LED bulbs. It has a simple push-button
      switch on the top of the lamp housing that requires a full
      depression to turn the light on or off. Depressing the switch
      halfway will give the user access to the Cosmo's four light-output
      settings; the maximum (brightest), the middle, the minimum or what
      the manufacturer calls "economy" (dimmest), and finally the strobe
      setting. The strobe blinks on and off about every second at what
      looks like the brightest setting. The headband is a single, 1 in
      (2.5 cm) wide, adjustable elastic strap that makes use of one
      plastic buckle for length adjustment. The lamp housing is connected
      to the headband via a piece called the lamp bracket. In addition to
      this function the bracket facilitates fine-tuning of the beam angle
      by acting as a hinge for the lamp housing so it can be pivoted up or
      down. Other than the batteries, the Cosmo doesn't have any user
      replaceable parts.

      Arrival Condition and Informational Material

      The Cosmo arrived safe and sound in perfect condition with all parts
      accounted for and working as they should. It was encased in its
      marketing package, which contained a four page instructional sheet
      giving instructions for use in several languages – English, French,
      German, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. The sheet also listed Black
      Diamond's contact information, the products warranty and various
      specifications about the Cosmo, most of which I listed above in the
      Product Description section.

      After reading the enclosed instructional material I was well
      acquainted with the Cosmo. The only "work" involved with the lamp
      is the installation of the batteries and attachment to the
      headstrap. Both were very simple to accomplish with the written
      directions and diagrams provided. There is also a video on the Black
      Diamond website showing how to insert the batteries and affix the
      headband in addition to displaying information about the titling
      head, LED light output, and lamp size.

      Expectations and First Impressions

      The Cosmo is pretty much what I was expecting from the Black Diamond
      website. They have several pictures of the light on the site and a
      comparison chart with all the other BD headlamps so it was easy to
      read about the Cosmo's features up against the other lamps. On top
      of that, the picture on the main Cosmo page is nearly actual size so
      I had a very realistic image of its compactness, the light
      configuration and the type of headband it uses. My initial
      impression of the Cosmo is that it is simple but sturdy. It does
      not offer a ton of features or have excess components but that is a
      bonus in my opinion.

      Expected Field Test Locations and Conditions

      It looks like the majority of the four month testing period will
      take place in our summer months. I do short fitness types hikes a
      couple of evenings or mornings each week and I have a few
      backpacking and car camping trips lined up for May, June and July,
      all of which will take place in Arizona. Elevation on these trips
      will range from around 2,000 ft (600 m) up to as high as 7,500 ft
      (2,300 m) on the Mogollon Rim in north central Arizona. I expect
      temperatures to range from 40 F (4 C) on the low end up to 100 F (32
      C) or more for daytime highs. Weather conditions are impossible to
      predict but I would imagine I will get cool and dry, hot and dry,
      and hot and humid conditions for the most part. I anticipate being
      able to the use the Cosmo about thirty times during the field and
      long-term portions of the test series.

      Proposed Test Strategy for the Four Month Test Period

      I plan to use the BD Cosmo as my main light source on all night
      hikes, camping trips, and on all backpacking trips I take during the
      test period. I will use it to navigate dark trails, read maps and
      find things in my pack. I will also use it for any around camp
      duties like cooking, collecting water, setting up after dark, etc…
      The areas I will be considering and some thoughts about how to test
      these aspects during the test period are as follows.

      Fit – This involves the comfort of the band, the weight of the
      headlamp and its balance during activity.
      In the field I will assess fit by trying the Cosmo with a variety of
      hats and without. I will also use it on an assortment of terrain
      types to get a feel for how well it stays put when I'm jostled
      around. I will try to wear it for long periods as well to get a
      feel for long term comfort.

      User Friendliness – This involves attaching and removing the band,
      changing batteries and bulbs, cleaning, ease of use and
      finding/purchasing replacement bulbs and batteries.
      In the field I will assess User Friendliness features by performing
      all maintenance duties with and without gloves on, with cold fingers
      and with and without sweaty hands. I will try to use it while doing
      as many tasks as possible and in varying conditions to see how it
      fairs.

      Headlamp – The Cosmo has three brightness settings, a strobe feature
      and boasts a 90 degree tilt capability.
      In the field I will use all bulb settings to examine how well each
      works and for what activities they are best suited. The Black
      Diamond website states the Cosmo "provides good proximity lighting"
      so I will use it in my tent to read, for close up work like cooking,
      eating, setting up my shelter, etc… I will also check the 90 degree
      tilt feature for usefulness and for how easily it can be tilted with
      and without gloves.

      Durability – As it relates to abrasions, drops, sweat, and LED life.
      In the field I will not torture the light but I will use it as I
      would any other flashlight. I will do a few drop tests at the end
      of the test period if I haven't already dropped it on accident
      during use. I will also evaluate how the headband holds up to
      repeated use, adjustments and sweat. Black Diamond states it's good
      for "go-anywhere use" I will also look for other creative ways to
      integrate the light into my non-backpacking life to get a feel for
      it's "go-anywhere" abilities.

      Manufacture Claims – This involves all weights and measures, listed
      brightness distance, battery/LED life, alternative attachment
      options and any others listed on the webpage or with the packaging
      material.
      All claims will be looked into for validity and accuracy.

      Thank you Backpackgeartest.org and Black Diamond for the opportunity
      to be part of this test series.

      Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      May 27, 2006
    • Jason Boyle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2006
        Jamie,

        Your link to the Black Diamond website doesn't work. It looks like
        you have a %20 after www.bdel.com

        Jason B
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2006
          Thanks Jason. I noticed that too after I posted. I'll fix it on the
          real upload.

          Jamie

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Boyle" <c4jc88@...>
          wrote:

          > Jamie,
          >
          > Your link to the Black Diamond website doesn't work. It looks like
          > you have a %20 after www.bdel.com
          >
          > Jason B

        • AsABat
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2006
            EDIT: INITIAL REPORT - Black Diamond Cosmo - jamie d

            Jaime-

            Great report. Just a few tiny edits. Upload when ready. Thanks,

            Bill Jeffrey
            Monitor

            > Arrival Condition and Informational Material
            >
            > The Cosmo arrived safe and sound in perfect condition with all
            parts
            > accounted for and working as they should. It was encased in its
            > marketing package, which contained a four page instructional sheet
            > giving instructions for use in several languages – English, French,
            > German, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. The sheet also listed
            Black
            > Diamond's contact information, the products warranty

            EDIT: product's

            > Durability – <snip> Black Diamond states it's good
            > for "go-anywhere use"

            EDIT: Add period at end of that sentence.

            > I will also look for other creative ways to
            > integrate the light into my non-backpacking life to get a feel for
            > it's "go-anywhere" abilities.

            EDIT: its [not possessive]
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
              Thank you Bill. I will fix these and upload ASAP.

              jamie d

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, " AsABat" <wjj2001@...>