IR - Keen Venice - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2006
      HTML can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/gv6u3

      kathryn

      ------

      Keen Venice Sandals - Initial Report

      May 26 2006

      <PIC>Keen Venice Sandals</PIC>

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

      Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
      four years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and
      Massachusetts. I have recently finished 1200+ miles (2000+ km) of the
      Appalachian trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not
      spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 25lbs (11 kg)
      with two days of food and half a liter of water. I have recently
      starting getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing and kayaking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Keen
      Material: Waterproof leather, and carbon non-marking rubber
      Website: http://www.keenfootwear.com/
      MSRP: US$95.00
      Colours/Sizes: in Men's - Black, Bison, and Olive, sizes 7-14 (1/2
      sizes up thru 12)
      Weight (as stated): 13.8 oz. (391 g)
      Weight (measured): 26 oz (736 g)
      Colour/Size Received: Bison, size 9 1/2

      Initial Report:

      The Keen Venice sandal is billed as a trail sandal. It has a sturdy
      rubberized sole with a leather covering for the insole. The straps
      have leather facing and a soft, black, stretchy material on the
      underside. The rubber of the sole comes up over the toe to provide a
      toe cap. The sandals are laced with shockcord with a toggle at the
      top. There are two finger loops to make pulling the sandals on easier,
      on located at the back of the heel and the other located at the top of
      the tongue. Both finger loops are made of webbing and are double sewed
      into the leather of the sandal.

      I have wide and large feet as such, I chose the men's sizing as I have
      found that men's footwear is in general, a little wider. I found that
      the 9 1/2 gave me the balance of wide enough with enough toe and
      sliding space. The leather straps are not firmly sewn to each other
      but rather are held in place by a strechy material. This allows me to
      tighten the sandal to a comfortable fit but still have some give to
      the straps. I can also pull the sandals on and off without having to
      loosen the shockcord too much. After wearing the sandals to and from
      work, I have noticed that my winter soft feet are a little tender
      where the ankle straps rub. I have also noticed that the ankle straps
      may be a little high or I have low ankles as the straps sometimes hit
      my ankle causing a little tenderness. I have not noticed any highly
      abrasive points, and I find the insole to be comfortable. The insole
      has little in the way of form fitting, there is a suggestion of arch
      support but there is no toe ridge.

      I plan on wearing these on my Sunday morning hikes and all extended,
      overnight trips. I will also be wearing them as often as possible,
      either going to work or on kayaking trips. I will look into how
      comfortable they are and if the open design helps prevent sweaty feet.
      I am especially interested in how well the soles will grip rocks
      either under dry, dusty conditions or under wet conditions. I will
      look into how well the straps keep the sandal held to my foot without
      losing any toes, and while allowing some movement. I will look into
      how well the sandals protect my feet from trail debris and twigs. I am
      interested to see if the fit will feel different once I have extra
      weight on my back. I will look to see if a load makes a difference,
      dayhiking versus weekend backpacking. I will look into how easily
      washable the sandals are and how well they hold up to washing. I do
      not know if the sandals will require a machine washing at any point
      over the test period but if so, I will look into how well they held up
      through the process. In general, I will look into how well the sandals
      fit, how well they perform on the trail and comfortable I find them.

      Field Conditions:

      Most of my overnight camping will take place in the White Mountains in
      New Hampshire. I have a few trips planned that will include an
      extended trip to the top of Mt. Washington, at 6000ft. Expected
      temperatures can be anywhere from below freezing to 20 C (70 F)
      depending on season and elevation. Weather on Mount Washington is very
      unpredictable. Expected weather conditions in the White Mountains in
      the spring can be from wintery to springlike, rainy or snowy, with
      driving winds depending on elevation.

      I have a trek planned into the 100-mile wilderness in Maine for
      mid-summer. I expect the weather to be cool and wet with lots of bugs.
      This would be a 10 day trip and any equipment I bring would see lots
      of hard use.

      I also have a weekend car camping trip planned for Mount Greylock in
      Massachusetts in July. I expect the weather to be warm and mild with
      some chance of rain.
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2006
        These are Thomas Vickers’ official monitor edits of Kathryn Doiron’s Keen
        Venice Sandals Initial report

        Edits = must do
        Edit/Comment = think about it, but do something
        Comment = are usually for laughs

        ------
        My pack weight tends to hover around 25lbs (11 kg)
        with two days of food and half a liter of water.

        Edits: space needed between 25 and lbs
        Edit: half a liter of water needs imperial conversion

        I have recently starting getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing and
        kayaking.

        Edit: starting = started?

        Product Information:

        Edit: Year of manufacture?

        Weight (as stated): 13.8 oz. (391 g)
        Weight (measured): 26 oz (736 g)

        Edit/Comment: Is the weight per sandal or for the pair?

        The straps have leather facing and a soft, black, stretchy material on the
        underside.

        Comment: I get this, but for some reason “straps have a leather facing”
        reads better to me, but this will be your call.

        The sandals are laced with shockcord with a toggle at the
        top.

        Edit: I would use shock-cord or shock cord

        Both finger loops are made of webbing and are double sewed
        into the leather of the sandal.

        Edit: sewed = sewn

        I found that the 9 1/2 gave me the balance of wide enough with enough toe
        and sliding space.

        Edit/Comment: I get your drift here, but this sentence is a it hard to wrap
        the old brain around. Maybe “gave me a balance of” ?

        The leather straps are not firmly sewn to each other but rather are held in
        place by a strechy material.

        Edit: I would assume (bad I know) that a comma before but would work here.

        Edit: strechy = stretchy?
        Edit: Did you visit the website? What was the impression of the sandals you
        got from there? How did it compare to what was delivered? This is a
        requirement for the initial report.

        I will look to see if a load makes a difference, dayhiking versus weekend
        backpacking.

        Comment: Again, I get it, but the whole sentence after the comma can either
        go or be reworded.

        Field Conditions:

        Comment: You might go with something like Estimated Field Conditions .

        I have a few trips planned that will include an extended trip to the top of
        Mt. Washington, at 6000ft.

        Edit: space between 6000 and ft
        Edit: metric conversion needed for 6000 ft

        Expected temperatures can be anywhere from below freezing to 20 C (70 F)
        depending on season and elevation

        Edit/Comment: How far below freezing? Also, elsewhere, you start with
        imperial measures then give metric. Here you start metric and then give the
        conversion as imperial. Either way is fine, just pick one and stick with it.
        (I get this lecture often too).

        I have a trek planned into the 100-mile wilderness in Maine for
        mid-summer.

        Edit: Is 100-mile Wilderness the name? If so, I might capitalize and if not,
        metric conversion for 100 miles is needed.

        I expect the weather to be cool and wet with lots of bugs.

        Edit: Details. Details. Details. What do you mean by cool? I live in Texas
        and I expect your cool in Mass. Is different. Temperature ranges would be
        nice (it doesn’t have to be exact, but give a range).

        This would be a 10 day trip and any equipment I bring would see lots
        of hard use.

        Edit/comment: The evil spell checker insists on 10-day. Not sure if I agree,
        but you pick.

        I expect the weather to be warm and mild with some chance of rain.

        Edit: Once again I would provide some temperature ranges.

        Edit: Any idea on trail conditions? Altitude in the areas you plan on
        testing? Details like this are necessary for the test plan. Once again,
        estimates are acceptable at this point. Exact measurements come from
        testing, but we need some sort of an idea at this point.
      • Jenn K.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
          Kathryn
          From one tester to another I was wondering where you found the MSRP
          for the Keen Venice. I could not find it on the website and I emailed
          Keen and they never got back to me in regards to the price. I would
          like to include that in my report if possible.
          Jennifer
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Dark Lazarus"
          <darklazarus@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > New Hampshire. I have a few trips planned that will include an
          > extended trip to the top of Mt. Washington, at 6000ft. Expected
          > temperatures can be anywhere from below freezing to 20 C (70 F)
          > depending on season and elevation. Weather on Mount Washington is very
          > unpredictable. Expected weather conditions in the White Mountains in
          > the spring can be from wintery to springlike, rainy or snowy, with
          > driving winds depending on elevation.
          >
          > I have a trek planned into the 100-mile wilderness in Maine for
          > mid-summer. I expect the weather to be cool and wet with lots of bugs.
          > This would be a 10 day trip and any equipment I bring would see lots
          > of hard use.
          >
          > I also have a weekend car camping trip planned for Mount Greylock in
          > Massachusetts in July. I expect the weather to be warm and mild with

        • Dark Lazarus
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
            I just checked the site and couldn't find the price either. I think,
            looking back, that I stuck the price in there from what I remember paying
            for my Keens and forgot to double check. I will have to fix my report then.

            Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the confusion.

            kathryn

            On 6/1/06, Jenn K. <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > New Hampshire. I have a few trips planned that will include an
            > > extended trip to the top of Mt. Washington, at 6000ft. Expected
            > > temperatures can be anywhere from below freezing to 20 C (70 F)
            > > depending on season and elevation. Weather on Mount Washington is very
            > > unpredictable. Expected weather conditions in the White Mountains in
            > > the spring can be from wintery to springlike, rainy or snowy, with
            > > driving winds depending on elevation.
            > >
            > > I have a trek planned into the 100-mile wilderness in Maine for
            > > mid-summer. I expect the weather to be cool and wet with lots of bugs.
            > > This would be a 10 day trip and any equipment I bring would see lots
            > > of hard use.
            > >
            > > I also have a weekend car camping trip planned for Mount Greylock in
            > > Massachusetts in July. I expect the weather to be warm and mild with

          • Jenn K.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
              Kathryn

              I just got an email from Keen and they stated that the MSRP is $94.99

              Jenn

              <darklazarus@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > New Hampshire. I have a few trips planned that will include an
              > > > extended trip to the top of Mt. Washington, at 6000ft. Expected
              > > > temperatures can be anywhere from below freezing to 20 C (70 F)
              > > > depending on season and elevation. Weather on Mount Washington
              is very
              > > > unpredictable. Expected weather conditions in the White Mountains in
              > > > the spring can be from wintery to springlike, rainy or snowy, with
              > > > driving winds depending on elevation.
              > > >
              > > > I have a trek planned into the 100-mile wilderness in Maine for
              > > > mid-summer. I expect the weather to be cool and wet with lots of
              bugs.
              > > > This would be a 10 day trip and any equipment I bring would see lots
              > > > of hard use.
              > > >
              > > > I also have a weekend car camping trip planned for Mount Greylock in
              > > > Massachusetts in July. I expect the weather to be warm and mild with

              recreation<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoor+recreation&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recreation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=oFEu6xvdIQZDa5H6NxqHUQ>
              Recreation

              Gsi

              Recreation

              Recreation

            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K." <jennksnowy@...>
                wrote:

                > Kathryn
                > From one tester to another I was wondering where you found the MSRP
                > for the Keen Venice. I could not find it on the website and I emailed
                > Keen and they never got back to me in regards to the price. I would
                > like to include that in my report if possible.
                > Jennifer
                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Dark Lazarus"
                > <darklazarus@> wrote:
                > >
                > > HTML can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/gv6u3

                As the third tester, I too am curious. I do not - as a rule - read
                other reports in a test I'm doing until it's over, and did not here
                either. I *did* look at all of the retailer sites listed on KEEN's
                site and found these prices for the Venice (in no particular order):
                $95.00
                $94.00
                $94.95
                $94.95
                $94.95
                $94.95
                $94.95

                I would say MSRP was more likely $94.95 than $95.00, but that's just me.

                Fuzzy
              • Fuzzy
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > Kathryn
                  >
                  > I just got an email from Keen and they stated that the MSRP is $94.99
                  >
                  > Jenn

                  I will incorporate that in mine, also. Thanx.

                  Fuzzy