Re: REPOST IR - Golite Whim Pants - Mike Lipay

  • Stephanie Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26 9:19 AM
      Mike:
      Thank you for the adjustment to your IR.
      I have a few items for you to consider.

      Based on the back-and-forth we've had on the list, I think it would be
      useful to incude more detail regarding whether or not these pants met your
      expectations based on your visit to the GoLite website.

      In addition, I'd like to see more information regarding your anticipated
      field conditions - similar to the type of information that should be found
      in your application.

      While I understand the purpose of your "first use" section, I would prefer
      that you not utilize your single use to draw conclusions on the
      performance of the pants, as that is more appropriate to your field and
      long term reports. Your conclusions with regards to the fit and ease of
      putting the pants on and taking them off are appropriate. I remain torn
      on your use of these pants on a day that was forecast to have light steady
      drizzle with a chance of thunderstorms - but I also understand that you
      can't test the dwr treatment of the pants without taking them into the
      field on a day that is indeed raining.

      My final concerns are with regards to your test plan - many of your
      concerns border on the dreaded "projection." While your concerns are
      valid, it may help to not hypothesize on what may occur during the test
      period - but to simply state your concern and how you plan to evaluate it.
      I also recommend revisiting your actual application to pull items for
      your test plan.

      I appreciate all the work you're doing on this,
      Stephanie

      --
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
      The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        OK, I've made the following changes based on your suggestions, please
        let me know if it works.

        Appearance, Features, and Usage
        From GoLite's website, and the product hangtag:
        DESCRIPTION - The Whim Pants are a 4 oz ultra-lite wonder that offers
        wind and water protection plus great durability for the weight!
        Constructed of WispUltra, a 98% polyester/2% carbon fabric with a
        Super-DWR coating, these wind pants are highly breathable and pack
        small into the back pocket so there's never a reason to leave them
        behind.

        Based on GoLite's description, both on their website and hangtag, I
        was under the impression that the Whim pants were being sold as
        emergency rain wear. As I have discovered since, the GoLite Whim
        pants are categorized as "Ultra-lite Wind Shells," for "insurance"
        against light rain, wind, and quick temperature drops. I will attempt
        to test the Whims under these conditions.

        KEY FEATURES - WispUltra 98% polyester/2% carbon fabric with Super-
        DWR finish Ultra-lite, wind resistant, water repellent, breathable,
        packs small Self-stowing Flat braided drawcord at the waist.

        COLORS - Night

        AVAILABLE SIZES - (Unisex sizing) X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-
        Large, XX-Large

        Personal Observations
        The first thing I noticed about the GoLite Whim pants is the weight,
        even though the specs state 4 oz (113 g) I wasn't prepared for the
        light weight - I have stuff sacks that feel heavier! The second thing
        that became apparent was a small pocket located inside the pants on
        the right rear. The pocket measures 5-1/2 in (14 cm) square, and is
        just large enough for my wallet - a nice feature that doubles as a
        built-in stuff sack.

        What my hiking partner noticed first was the large, white, GoLite
        logo on the front right. While I didn't mind it, his feeling was that
        it was like a billboard against the black material of the pants.

        The outside appearance is a satin-black appearance, while the inside
        reminds me of shiny black-plastic bags.

        First Use:
        The arrival of the GoLite Whim pants was indeed fortunate, coming the
        day before a planned outing. This was one of those trips that makes
        me wonder why there is a weather forecasting department, predictions
        were for light drizzle with the possibility of thundershowers. The
        morning started off with temps at 48° F (8° C), but quickly warmed up
        to 62° F (17° C) where it remained for the day. The rain started
        around 8 A.M. and lasted for the entire day, coming down hard and
        fast, turning the trails into small streams.

        As soon as the rain started I pulled my GoLite Whim pants out of my
        back pocket (they really do fit easily). Putting them on wasn't as
        easy as I had hoped, the opening in the pants leg wasn't large enough
        to fit over my hiking boots, requiring the removal of my boots. I
        must say, though, that they fit well over my hiking pants, not
        causing the legs to ride up, or making it feel as if I had two pairs
        of pants on.

        Once I had the Whims on I was ready for the testing to begin. Sure
        enough, I had plenty of opportunity to see how well they would work
        as it rained the entire day. I was impressed at how dry I felt, with
        two layers of pants on I wasn't feeling a heat or moisture build up.
        By the end of the day my GORE-TEX rain jacket was letting a little
        moisture through, but my hiking pants were nicely dry.

        Taking the Whim pants off was similar to getting them on: untying the
        drawcord was easy, but I had to remove my shoes in order to take the
        pants off. This is the most annoying feature, with the heavy rain my
        socks and shoes became wet during the changeover.

        Test Plan:
        While I might not wear them at every hiking trip, I would always
        carry the GoLite Whims with me as they are intended to be used - in
        case a quick storm rears its ugly thunder-clouded head. The weather
        in the Allegheny's is difficult to predict, or so the meteorologists
        are always saying, a freak storm catching you off guard is not an
        uncommon occurrence here, and having a good pair of water repellant
        pants at hand is a necessity. Breath-ability is also a must, when the
        storms crop up on a hot June or July day I can get just as wet from
        sweating as I would have from the rain. My current emergency pair are
        anything but light-weight, easy to pack, and breathable; replacing
        them would be more than a Whim, it would be a dream-come-true!

        Additionally, having a pair of these in my pocket at a ballgame would
        be a fantastic way to be prepared for when a shower interrupts the
        viewing (but not the game). I have been caught in more than my fair
        share of baseball games when a storm comes along, and our stadium
        doesn't have many places where you can get out of the rain.

        EVALUTIONS
        What I would be most concerned with, and would pay the most attention
        to, is:

        QUALITY: Tightness of the seams, without bunching. Water repellency
        at the seams -- do the seams need sealed? I even have an interesting
        plan for testing this: seal off the waist and legs, inflate them with
        air, then force them into a tub of water. Check afterwards to see if
        any water seeped in through the seams.

        FIT: In addition to just plain fitting, how will they fit as an outer
        layer? I certainly don't want to get undressed just to change pants
        when a shower strikes. Also, will the legs go on over a pair of
        hiking boots, or will I need to remove the boots before I put on the
        GoLite Whims? Again, this is in the event of an emergency storm where
        every moment counts.

        COMFORT: When worn as regular hiking pants, on days when it is
        raining before I even start out, how does the nylon feel against the
        skin -- does it stick? When worn on the outside, over another pair of
        pants in an emergency situation, will they wind up being to hot? Too
        tight? Another thing that concerns me, with regards to comfort, is
        that they are only available in black -- will they be too hot in the
        summer, especially with the sun beating down?

        ENDURANCE: I know the GoLite Whims are made to be packed (even in a
        back pocket), but how well will they hold up to being crumpled and
        removed? Will it affect the water-resistance? Are they capable of
        holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
        abilities? Will the drawcord at the waist begin to fray before the
        end of the test period? I've found that drawcords have the tendency
        to break, or to not hold their place during heavy exercise (such as
        climbing a steep trail).

        On May 26, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Stephanie Martin wrote:

        > Mike:
        > Thank you for the adjustment to your IR.
        > I have a few items for you to consider.
        >
        > Based on the back-and-forth we've had on the list, I think it would be
        > useful to incude more detail regarding whether or not these pants
        > met your
        > expectations based on your visit to the GoLite website.
        >
        > In addition, I'd like to see more information regarding your
        > anticipated
        > field conditions - similar to the type of information that should
        > be found
        > in your application.
        >
        > While I understand the purpose of your "first use" section, I would
        > prefer
        > that you not utilize your single use to draw conclusions on the
        > performance of the pants, as that is more appropriate to your field
        > and
        > long term reports. Your conclusions with regards to the fit and
        > ease of
        > putting the pants on and taking them off are appropriate. I remain
        > torn
        > on your use of these pants on a day that was forecast to have light
        > steady
        > drizzle with a chance of thunderstorms - but I also understand that
        > you
        > can't test the dwr treatment of the pants without taking them into the
        > field on a day that is indeed raining.
        >
        > My final concerns are with regards to your test plan - many of your
        > concerns border on the dreaded "projection." While your concerns are
        > valid, it may help to not hypothesize on what may occur during the
        > test
        > period - but to simply state your concern and how you plan to
        > evaluate it.
        > I also recommend revisiting your actual application to pull items for
        > your test plan.
        >
        > I appreciate all the work you're doing on this,
        > Stephanie
      • WoodlandSprite
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Mike - thanks for the re-vamp!
          A quick edit below and you can upload. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the work you put into this.

          -Stephanie

          Mike Lipay <hiking@...> wrote:
          Test Plan:

          EDIT--> Can you include a brief summary of your expectd field conditions during the test period?

          EVALUTIONS

          QUALITY: Tightness of the seams, without bunching. Water repellency
          at the seams -- do the seams need sealed?

          EDIT--> do the seams need TO BE sealed?

          I even have an interesting
          plan for testing this: seal off the waist and legs, inflate them with
          air, then force them into a tub of water. Check afterwards to see if
          any water seeped in through the seams.

          COMMENT: This may be an unfair evaluation as the pants are not designed to be submerged. I recommend removing this proposed test.

          COMFORT: When worn as regular hiking pants, on days when it is
          raining before I even start out, how does the nylon feel against the
          skin -- does it stick?

          COMMENT: If it is raining before you start out, you may be treading on unfair use of the pants....

          ENDURANCE:
          Are they capable of
          holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
          abilities?

          EDIT: I think you ment jagged bushes...

          Thanks again Mike, I appreciate your work - once this is tweaked, go ahead and upload.
          -Stephanie

        • Mike Lipay
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            Stephanie,

            Thanks for the time and patience with this. I have made the changes
            you suggested, and will upload soon. I do have a comment on one point...

            On Jun 1, 2006, at 3:20 PM, WoodlandSprite wrote:

            > COMMENT: If it is raining before you start out, you may be treading
            > on unfair use of the pants....

            If we don't go out when we expect to need emergency gear then we may
            never have the opportunity to test them. I don't plan on going out
            when it is raining, but I don't cancel a trip just because it's
            raining either. Surprise showers can occur just as easily at the
            start of a trip as in the middle.

            > ENDURANCE:
            > Are they capable of
            > holding up to jagger bushes, and still retain their water-shedding
            > abilities?
            >
            > EDIT: I think you ment jagged bushes...

            Local colloquialism, I guess. Jaggers here cover everything from
            thorn-bushes (berries) to weeds which have small, needle-like thorns.
            Hard to tell if something is local until you use it.

            thanks,

            mike