Fwd: IR -Warm n Cozy Epic Pants Leesa

  • cl_woodlandsprite
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2006
      Steve - Will you be able to pick up these edits on this series, or
      do you need me to take them?
      Attached below is Leesa's report...she's taken over for Scott
      Downard who failed to ever file his Field Report.

      -Steph

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Leesa J" <leesaj@...>
      wrote:

      Dear Test Monitor, I am filling in for Scott Downard. Here is my
      IR.
      html version is at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Warm%20and%20Cozy/
      There is a photo in that version. Please let me know if the table
      color is
      distracting (or annoying). Thanks, Leesa

      Big Sky Products
      Warm and Cozy
      Full Zip Pants
      Initial Report
      April 14, 2006

      Personal Information:
      Leesa Joiner

      leesaj@...

      Southwestern Maine

      45 years old
      Female
      5'7" (1.7 m)
      160 lb (73 kg)

      Background:

      My camping, hiking and backpacking experience has included trips
      varying in length from one day hikes to two-week trips. My
      experience hiking
      began with my father when I was about six years old. We hiked along
      the
      river pathways in northeastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While
      enjoying
      the outdoors with my Girl Scout troop, friends and family, I spend
      time
      hiking, geocaching, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and camping.
      Although
      I am not a lightweight backpacker, I am trying to 'lighten up' and
      primarily
      use a hammock for sleeping.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Big Sky Products
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.bigskyproducts.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Color: Dark
      Blue

      Size: Large
      Listed Measuremens:
      Waist: 34 - 36 in (86 - 91 cm)
      Hips: 43 - 45 in (109 - 114 cm)
      Inseam: 32.5 in (83 cm)
      Listed weight: 6.9 oz (196 g)
      Measured weight: 6.8 oz (189 g)
      MSRP: $89.95 US

      [image: Big Sky Epic Pants]

      Product Features:
      Full zip pants
      Water/wind resistant, breathable Epic fabric
      Flapless YKK water resistant zips
      Double slider zips to zip from top or bottom
      Velcro waist closures
      Button elastic ankle cuffs

      Initial Impressions:
      The Big Sky Products Warm -n-Cozy Pants arrived in good
      condition. The
      fabric has a very light, smooth feel. The zippers work smoothly,
      both from
      the top and bottom. The teeth of the zipper are covered with a
      rubbery
      layer to prevent water from seeping through. The ankly elastic is
      comfortable, close fitting without being binding. The waist size
      can be
      adjusted by tightening the hook and loop closures.
      The pants fit somewhat loosely, with enough room for jeans or
      sweat
      pants underneath. They slide easily over clothing and hiking boots.
      Unzipping the pants from the ankle allows enough room for even my
      bulkiest
      hikers to fit through.
      The Warm -n- Cozy Pants are just about what I expected from the
      website. I was surprised at how lightweight they are. Until I held
      them,
      it was impossible to really appreciate the companies weight claims.

      Test Locations, Conditions and Time Frame:
      Living in Northern New England, I have the good fortune of
      being able
      to experience at least 4 seasons (sometimes within days of each
      other!) and
      some of the best outdoor areas around. During the winter, we can
      usually
      count on snow, cold and more snow. Spring is making an early
      appearance.
      During the next 4 months our temperature range will typically run
      from the
      current average of 42 degrees F (6 C) up to 65 degrees F (18 C).
      March
      and April typically bring rain, followed by black flies, mosquitoes
      and
      ticks.
      As winter winds down, I spend more time camping and hiking
      compared to
      the coldest part of winter, when I tend to snowshoe and cross
      country ski
      and have fewer overnight trips. On the weekends, I head off, into
      northern
      Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire, either with friends or my kids or
      both.
      While hiking in northern New England, many of the trails are
      unimproved, meaning that I spend lots of time climbing over rocks and
      brush.

      Test Plan:
      My next planned trip is for 5 days in early April. We are going
      northwestern Maine to camp and hike. There is a good chance of
      hitting
      rain and some windy weather. During late April, I am going on a
      solo
      two-night hike. I will be taking my Eureka EXO 2 tent and my dog!
      I am
      looking forward to hiking alone, as I've wanted to do it for a long
      time,
      but could never arrange it. I am planning on only being gone 3
      days/2
      nights, but may be able to stretch it another night. I will be
      above 3000
      ft (914 m) so will most likely miss out on any bugs, but could see
      rain and
      high winds.
      During May we are planning a family trip to Pennsylvania. We
      will be
      camping and site-seeing around the Gettysburg area I am sure the
      weather
      in Pennsylvania will be warmer than Maine, but I can't be sure!
      This trip
      will definitely be the one that holds the most surprises – we are
      making
      some basic plans, but trying to remain 'flexible' and go with what
      interests
      us (and the kids) when we get there.
      After school is out in June, we take off for days at a time and
      will be
      hiking and camping in Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky. These
      trips, along
      with local hikes will give me plenty of opportunity to wear and test
      these
      pants.

      Some of the things I will be looking at while testing these pants
      include:

      *Durability - these pants are so light and the fabric is so thin,
      can it
      hold up to outdoor use? I wonder if branches will snag the material,
      causing tears. I also am concerned that the fabric may catch on the
      zipper,
      and if it does, will it harm the fabric?

      *Water/Weatherproofness - How do the pants hold up to rain, wind
      and cold?
      Does water seep through after a while? Do they block the wind, even
      if
      wet? Do the pants hold in body heat? Later in the test period
      when the
      weather warms, I will be looking at how much heat builds up inside
      the
      pants. How breathable are they?

      *Comfort - Do the pants restrict my movement at all? Do they
      provide
      enough warmth, or too much? Do the ankle cuffs ride up? Do the
      closures
      work properly?

      *What types of baselayers work best for me with these pants? Do
      they work
      over heavy base layers as well as shorts?

      I will look at these issues, along with any others that develop
      during the
      test period. Thanks to Big Sky and backpackgeartest.org for the
      opportunity to test the Warm -n- Cozy pants.
      The above photo is from the Big Sky Products website.
      http://www.bigskyproducts.com

      --
      This land is your land, this land is my land...
      Woody Guthrie

      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Leesa J
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006
        Thanks Steph, I did send it to Steve directly this a.m. Sometimes posting
        from work to the group doesn't work very well.

        Leesa

        --
        This land is your land, this land is my land...
        Woody Guthrie

      • nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2006
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "cl_woodlandsprite"
          <cl_woodlandsprite@...> wrote:

          > Steve - Will you be able to pick up these edits on this series, or
          > do you need me to take them?
          > Attached below is Leesa's report...she's taken over for Scott
          > Downard who failed to ever file his Field Report.
          >
          > -Steph

          Glad to pick them up - but still confused about the dates. Andrew
          noted her reports as not due until:

          Field Report: June 27, 2006
          Long-term Report: August 22, 2008

          (I'm assuming that's August 200*6*, but that leaves the FR not due
          until June also.)

          Let me and Leesa know if she should resubmit on June 27, or if we're
          changing the dates.

          Thanks!
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2006
            At 09:06 AM 3/05/2006, you wrote:
            >Glad to pick them up - but still confused about the dates. Andrew
            >noted her reports as not due until:
            >
            >Field Report: June 27, 2006
            >Long-term Report: August 22, 2008
            >
            >(I'm assuming that's August 200*6*, but that leaves the FR not due
            >until June also.)
            >
            >Let me and Leesa know if she should resubmit on June 27, or if we're
            >changing the dates.

            Hi Steve

            Now I am getting confused. I was under the impression that Leesa has
            just filed an Initial Report and will be doing a full test, hence the
            Field and Long-term dates for her. Does that sound right to you?

            Andrew