IR - Sierra Designs Baku 2 - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      Here's my IR for the Baku 2 tent. I've uploaded the html version to
      the test/TEST folder. Thanks.

      Biographical Information
      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86.2 kg)
      Email address: a_henrichs@...
      City, State, Country: Glenwood Springs, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background
      Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and
      Wyoming, as well as the desert in the southwestern US. I've gone
      winter camping several times, but I still prefer backpacking in the
      warmer months. Most of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken
      several trips of 5-6 days. This past summer, I was fortunate enough
      to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over 35 days.
      Recently, I have been leaning towards the lightweight side of the
      spectrum.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs (www.sierradesigns.com)
      Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      MSRP: $289.95 US

      Manufacturers Specifications
      Stated Trail Weight: 4 lb 0 oz (1.8 kg)
      Stated Packed Weight: 4 lb 7 oz (2.0 kg)
      Stated Packed Size: 21 in by 5 in (53 cm by 13 cm)
      Stated Floor Length: 83 in (211 cm(
      Stated Floor Width (narrow side): 45 in (114 cm)
      Stated Floor Width (wide side): 52 in (132 cm)
      Stated Interior Area: 28 sq ft (2.6 sq m)
      Stated Vestibule Area (each): 7 sq ft (.7 sq m)
      Stated Peak Height: 40 in (102 cm)

      Tester Measurements
      Measured Weight (as delivered): 4 lb 7.5 oz (2.0 kg)
      Measured Trail Weight: 4 lb 0.5 oz (1.8 kg)
      Measured Weight (tent body): 3 lb 2 oz (1.4 kg)
      Measured Weight (poles): 14.5 oz (411 g)
      Measured Weight (stuff sack total): 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Measured Weight (6 stakes): 3.5 oz (99 g)
      Measured Weight (guy lines): 1.5 oz (43 g)
      Measured Packed Size (uncompressed): 21 in by 6 in (53 cm by 15 cm)
      Measured Packed Size (compressed): 15 in by 7 in (38 cm by 18 cm)
      Measured Floor Length: 82 in (208 cm)
      Measured Floor Width (narrow side): 45 in (114 cm)
      Measured Floor Width (wide side): 51.5 in (131 cm)
      Measured Interior Area: 29.3 sq ft (2.7 sq m)
      Measured Vestibule Area (each): 7.1 sq ft (.7 sq m)
      Measured Peak Height: 38 in (97 cm)

      Product Description
      The Baku 2 Tent is a new addition to Sierra Designs "Ultralight
      Tents" category. It is a hybrid of single and double-wall tents.
      This free-standing tent assembles when the ends of the two DAC
      Featherlight NSL poles are inserted into the grommets on diagonal
      corners of the tent. Small plastic "Clip Locs" are then clipped to
      the tent. There is a short third pole for the apex of the tent.
      This tent inserts into two tabs located on the top of the tent,
      giving shape to the very top. There is a larger "Clip Loc" on the
      apex of the tent. All three poles are passed through the clip, and
      a short elastic cord is wrapped around the poles before locking into
      a groove. The more wraps of the elastic cord, the more stability is
      created. The tent body floor is roughly rectangular, and the two
      long sides of the tent feature a dual-zippered, full-circle
      mesh "stash door" as well as a fixed triangular vestibule. With the
      four corners and the two vestibule tabs staked out, the tent assumes
      a hexagonal shape when viewed from above. Regardless of which
      zipper one uses to unzip the mesh door, the zipper terminates in the
      upper-right hand side of the door. There is a small mesh pocket
      inside the tent body where the user can tuck the door into when it
      is open. Each vestibule features a dual-zipper that contours along
      the tent body from the floor to the apex of the tent. The vestibule
      door can be rolled up and secured out of the way. The tent features
      two vents; one on each of the shorter sides. One vent is located
      midway up the wall, the other is located near the top of the tent.
      Each features a small mesh opening which is propped up with a short
      internal pole and anchored into place with a hook and loop closure.
      These vents are also anchored closed with hook and loop closures.
      In addition to the "stash door" pockets, there is one medium-sized
      pocket located just above floor level. There are also four loops on
      the ceiling for a gear loft, coffee sling, etc. The tent comes with
      six metal stakes and four guy lines, each measuring 75 in (191 cm).
      It also comes with instructions in English only. The instructions
      include information about pitching the tent, site selection,
      ventilation, and several general maintenance issues.

      Field Testing
      As I live between the Flattop Mountain and Elk Mountain Ranges of
      western Colorado, there will be plenty of opportunities for me to
      put this tent to use. I will use this tent at elevations ranging
      from 5000 ft (1500 m) up to 12500 ft (3800m). Given the sometimes
      fickle nature of Colorado summers, I expect to experience a wide
      variety of weather on my trips. This may include sun, clouds, wind,
      rain, sleet, hail, and possibly even some snow. Temperatures on
      these trips could range from 20º F (-7º C) to over 80º F (27º C).

      Test Plan
      I will use the Sierra Designs Baku 2 Tent on many shorter
      backpacking trips. As it looks right now, I'll only be working
      three days per week this summer. My free days will be filled with
      backpacking and rock climbing trips. I am tentatively planning a
      technical climb of Vestal Peak, in the San Juan Mountain Range. The
      climb will require at least one night of camping at the base of the
      peak before our ascent. With the significant late-season snowfall
      in the San Juan Range, my friend and I may have to move our climb to
      a different, south-facing route. In addition to whatever peak we
      end of climbing, I am expecting to take approximately two 2-3 day
      backpacking trips each month this summer. I would like to further
      explore some of the regions I walked through during my thru-hike of
      the Colorado Trail last summer. Some of these specific regions
      include the Mount Massive Wilderness and the Pine Creek River up to
      Emerald Peak. I would also like to explore the more remote areas of
      the Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness. If my job cooperates, I
      would like to take a longer (up to 6 day) backpacking trip either in
      the San Juan Mountains of Colorado or the Wind River Range of
      Wyoming.
      I will also be using this tent when car camping during shorter
      climbing trips. This camping will likely be split between Indian
      Creek near Moab, Utah and Independence Pass near Aspen, Colorado. I
      will hopefully be able to spend some time climbing in Vedauwoo,
      Wyoming this summer. This region is infamous for high wind, which
      will be a great test for the Baku 2. While car camping is obviously
      not what this tent was designed for, it will give me more time in
      the tent to figure out any quirks.

      During the testing session, I will pay particular attention to the
      following:
      1. Ease of Set-Up - So far, this tent is very easy to set up. I
      don't have to struggle to get the pole tips into the grommets, and
      there are only six stake-out points, making it easy to anchor the
      tent down. Will it be this easy to set up in the dark? What about
      in high winds?
      2.   Living Space – One of my biggest problems is finding a tent
      that provides enough head-to-toe room for me. This one is 82 in
      (208 cm) long by my measurements. I hopped inside my sleeping bag
      in the tent, and if I was positioned perfectly, neither end of my
      bag touched the walls of the tent. When I shifted a little, the bag
      ends would just barely brush the walls. Being a singly wall tent,
      will this become an issue? So far, I've been the only one in this
      tent. Will it provide enough shoulder room for two reasonable sized
      adults? If I'm tent-bound in bad weather, will I go insane or will
      I calmly ride out the storm in my cozy palace? So far, the living
      space seems adequate, with enough headroom for me. I really like
      the "stash doors." The doors easily tuck out of the way, as does
      the vestibule. Since the vestibule zipper contours the body of the
      tent, I don't have to struggle as enter the vestibule or tent.
      3.  Vestibule – Just from initial observations, the vestibules look
      like they will fit all of my gear, but it may be tight with gear for
      two. I'll be interested to see if it is enough. Will one vestibule
      become a "gear only" area?
      4. Breathability – I haven't had any experience with single wall
      tents before. Will I experience much condensation? The two small
      vents are nice, and I imagine a good airflow could be present if
      there is a wind. The mesh doors will also help significantly. The
      instructions recommend venting the vestibule at the top (using the
      two-way zipper) to increase air flow. While the Colorado climate is
      generally dry, it does rain occasionally. How well will this tent
      breathe/ventilate in rainy conditions?
      5. Waterproofness – I would imagine that siliconized 40-denier
      nylon is quite waterproof. Are there any sneaky seams where water
      will leak in? Is the SuperSeal floor superbly sealed? The
      instructions claim that no further waterproofing is necessary along
      the floor. They do, however, recommend that seams along the top of
      the tent be sealed.
      6. Stability – How well will this tent resist winds? If I set
      this tent up above treeline on a mountain pass, will I wake up at
      the bottom of the pass in the morning?
      7. Durability – How will the tent floor, walls, vestibules, and
      zippers hold up to normal use? Will the nylon develop any tears or
      holes? How often will the zippers get off track?
      8. Packability – The tent seems to pack to a fairly typical tent
      size. It also compresses fairly well. Will the tent pack into my
      backpack easily, or will I find it taking up too much space?
      9. Organizational Simplicity – How well do the gear pockets
      facilitate organization? Based on the information found on the
      Sierra Designs website, I was expecting more pockets. As stated
      earlier, there are the two "stash door" mesh pockets and one other
      medium-sized pocket just above the floor. The pockets appear to be
      of adequate size for holding headlamps, gloves, and socks.
      The "stash door" pockets appear to be big enought to hold some books
      as well.
      10. Smell – It appears that all Sierra Designs tents are now being
      treated with "Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh." This fungistatic agent
      is purported to prevent odors, staining, and deterioration when a
      tent is packed up wet. I'm not in the habit of packing tents up
      wet, but this may warrant a small experiment. I will store this
      tent wet for a few days before pitching it to inspect for any stains
      or funky smells.