Re: [backpackgeartesters] Re: Epic Rainwear - Thoughts?

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
      At 12:28 AM 1/04/2006, you wrote:
      >Andrew,
      >
      >Colleen's comments are pretty accurate. I've used EPIC as my
      >primary 90%-of-the-time shell for about 3 years now. It's great in
      >the fog/drizzle/mist that we get here in the Pacific NW US much of
      >the time. It will wet-out - it's not waterPROOF.

      Thanks Curt for your comments. Our rain tends to more downpour and
      often for long periods of time, I have walked all day in rain, rain,
      slept thought the night whilst it rained (too many zipper runs that
      night!) and it was still raining the next morning, so I suspect that
      given others comments it will wet out quickly.

      Andrew

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
        At 12:50 AM 1/04/2006, you wrote:
        >I've been extremely happy with the Zealot and Celestial jackets I have from
        >Outdoor Research. They are both made of Gore-Tex 15 D PacLite.

        Thanks Jerry. I have gone with Gore-Tex XCR as the PacLite jackets I
        saw where for women only and are short, requiring pants. The Mountain
        Designs Stratus is much longer, avoiding the need for pants. I walk
        in shorts all through winter so as long as it covers my shorts I am a
        happy little cookie.

        Andrew

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
          At 03:30 AM 1/04/2006, you wrote:
          >Andrew,
          >
          >I haven't had the Big Sky jacket in a serious downpour yet, but on every
          >other point Curt's comments are spot on with my observations.

          Thanks Jim ... it is its downpour performance that concerned me.

          Andrew

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
            At 02:06 PM 1/04/2006, you wrote:
            >--- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
            ><apriest@...> wrote:
            > > See my reply to Colleen but have gone Gore-Tex XCR.
            > >
            > > Andrew
            >
            >That's what my Arc'teryx Alpha SV uses, and I've been really pleased
            >with it. Really durable, good breathability, definitely waterproof.
            >
            >The Mountain Designs Stratus looks excellent - we don't seem to get
            >long jackets like that here. I'll look forward to hearing how it works

            Hi Steve

            I will put a OR together at the end of the season.

            Andrew

          • Emma Eyeball
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
              wrote:
              I have taken the plunge
              > and ordered one. Not as light as eVENT but my pocket feels better
              > and with Australian jackets, which are longer, I don't need pants.
              > You can see the jacket at <http://snipurl.com/oi0r>.

              i LOVE the cut of that jacket!! a jacket that falls BELOW my buttocks
              (without fitting like a tent) would be awesome. and i hate rain pants,
              hate 'em.

              is it hoodless? i can't quite tell from the picture. i'm strongly
              considering trying a hoodless jakcet with a rain hat. i'm sick of
              being deaf when i put the hood up.

              -colleen
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                At 05:17 AM 3/04/2006, you wrote:

                >i LOVE the cut of that jacket!! a jacket that falls BELOW my buttocks
                >(without fitting like a tent) would be awesome. and i hate rain pants,
                >hate 'em.

                Most Australian "standard" bushwalking rain jackets are full length,
                i.e., cover one's shorts. We also have the shorter, US style jackets
                coming on to the market. The women's jacket has a more shaped cut so
                it fits firmer I guess.

                >is it hoodless? i can't quite tell from the picture.

                Not hoodless, but the hood tucks away in the collar. Your choice then
                to use it or not.

                Andrew