I.R. Red Ledge Elite Pants- Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/jxfnr

      Red Ledge Elite Full Zip Pants

      Initial Review
      April 1, 2006

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for over 30 years, all
      over the state of California. I have also hiked in Washington,
      Minnesota, Nevada, Arizona, and Idaho. I hike year-round, mostly in
      the Sierra Nevada, and put 555 miles (894 km) on my boots last
      year. As I start my 4th decade of backpacking I am making the move
      to lightweight gear, and smaller packs.

      The product

      Manufacturer: Red Ledge
      Web site: www.redledge.com
      Product: Elite Full Zip Pants
      Style: 18622
      Size: Large
      Year manufactured: 2006
      MSRP: $60.00 (US)
      Weight: 13.3 oz (377 g)
      Color tested: Obsidian
      Warranty: (Quoted from hang tag) "All Red Ledge products are fully
      warranted to the original owner against defects in material and
      workmanship."

      Product description

      The Elite Full Zip Pants (hereafter called the pants) came with a
      hang tag attached to them. The tag has the model name and number,
      size, color and suggested retail price on the outside. It also has
      the warranty information on it. Inside of the tag is an insert
      telling about the seam sealing process used in the construction of
      the pants.

      Surprisingly there is no mention of the 2.5 Layer water-proof
      breathable fabric that the pants are made of. The fabric is nylon
      with a polyurethane membrane on the inside face.

      The pants have a snap that is surrounded by Velcro to make sure they
      stay closed. I like that feature. Below it is a fly with a 7" (18
      cm) zipper. The 1.5" (3.8 cm) waistband has elastic in three areas.
      There are also two snaps and a 4" (10 cm) piece of Velcro on each
      side to adjust the fit of the pants. These are located at the top of
      the zippers that run the full length of the legs. Here is a picture
      of the attachment point and a side zipper.

      Inside of the waist band at the back is a nylon hang loop, and two
      sewn-in tags. One has the Red Ledge name and logo. The other tag has
      materials and washing instructions. It is suggested to machine wash
      cold, gentle cycle with mild detergent, and to line dry.

      On the front of the pants are two diagonal zipper that access mesh
      pockets. In the back right side is a rear pocket that double as a
      storage sack. To utilize it I stuff the pants into the pocket from
      the inside-out. The zipper has a double sided pull that allows it to
      close the pocket. There is also a nylon loop that is sewn on to the
      pocket. The stuffed size is 6.5" x 7.5" x 3" (16.5 x 19 x 7.6 cm)
      Here is a picture of it stuffed in this manner.

      At the bottom of each leg is a snap to keep the zipper from opening
      unintentionally. Inside of the cuffs is a drawstring to close the
      leg opening.

      The side zippers are double-ended, and can be opened from the top
      down, the bottom up, or both at the same time. By pulling the bottom
      slide all the way up to the waistband it can be completely
      separated. This will allow the pants to be put on without having to
      lift a foot. The zippers are protected from the elements by a flap
      both inside and outside of the pants. All of the zippers with the
      exception of the fly have pull strings attached to them. I like that.

      The crotch is gusseted, and the knees are articulated for
      maneuverability.

      From my inspection of the pants, they seem to be very well made. The
      stitching is all very nice. Every line of stitching has been seam-
      taped on the inside. I will be surprised if these pants leak.

      Testing

      I will take these along with me for all of this years hiking. We
      will be in the Bristlecone Pine Forest at the end of May, and will
      climb Mount Shasta in June. I have planed trips to San Jacinto in
      July, a four or five day trip in the eastern Sierra in September,
      and the southern half of the John Muir Trail in October. I do a lot
      of over-nighters during the year also.

      I always carry rain shell pants and coat on each trip. Not only do I
      use them for protection from the elements, but also put them over a
      fleece, or my down sweater to create a warm package.

      Things I will be checking out will include the following.

      Obviously, how well does the 2.5 fabric keep out moisture? If I have
      to hike for five hours in a down-pour, is it going to keep me dry?

      Will the waterproofing remain for the whole season of being stuffed
      repeatedly into my packs? Will the seams stay sealed?

      I am a hard sweating hiker. Will the breathable nature of the 2.5
      fabric be able to keep up with me? It has side zips, which should
      help a lot, but are they easy to access? Will they snag? That has
      made me retire a rain shell, and an arctic shell in the past.

      How well do all the zippers work? Can I get them on fast when I need
      to? Shasta will see the necessity of gloves. Will I be able to work
      the zipper with them on? The full zip on the pants means that I
      don't have to take off my boots to get them on. Will they hold up to
      being scrapped by my boots going on and off?

      Spring hiking means pushing through over-grown trails. Will the
      Elites prove durable in the long run with this normal spring-time
      abuse? Can they be used in winter conditions?

      Will they pack down compact? I try to keep volume down as much as
      weight. So this will be looked at.

      I would like to thank Red Ledge and BackpackGearTest for the
      opportunity to test these pants.
    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        Red Ledge Elite Full Zip Pants
        Initial Review
        April 1, 2006
        Raymond Estrella

        Hi Ray,
        Looks like you've got a great season of trips lined up! Makes me
        want to plan something in the Sierras!
        My edit suggestions follow enclosed between *** *** marks.
        Carol, Monitor

        The 1.5" (3.8 cm) waistband has elastic in three areas.
        *** you might add "wide waistband" for clarity ***

        On the front of the pants are two diagonal zipper that access mesh
        *** zippers ***

        In the back right side is a rear pocket that double as a
        *** doubles ***

        I will take these along with me for all of this years hiking.
        *** year's ***

        I have planed trips to San Jacinto in
        *** planned ***

        I always carry rain shell pants and coat on each trip. Not only do I
        use them for protection from the elements, but also put them over a
        fleece, or my down sweater to create a warm package.
        *** Since this report is about the pants, I'd recommend removing the
        part about putting "them" over your down sweater. ***

        Obviously, how well does the 2.5 fabric keep out moisture?
        *** 2.5 layer ?? ***

        Will the breathable nature of the 2.5 fabric be able to keep up with
        *** 2.5 layer ?? ***

        It has side zips, which should help a lot, but are they easy to
        access? Will they snag? That has made me retire a rain shell, and an
        arctic shell in the past.
        *** Snagging problems have made me retire a rain...***

        The full zip on the pants means that I don't have to take off my
        boots to get them on. Will they hold up to being scrapped by my
        boots going on and off?
        *** scraped ***